Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I bought a 2013 Sonata Hybrid just a few days ago. It has an acceptable number of miles and was a good deal. However, it doesn't have a backup camera – a neat feature that I've never had on a car I've owned. I'd love to get one added if it isn't going to cost an arm and a leg.

I've seen a few posts on the internet (including a few on this forum), but figured it might be best to start a new thread with a few questions:

1) Has anyone done this specifically on a Sonata? If so, did you do the work yourself, or pay someone to do it?

2) My car does not have the fancy screen for the radio. If I bought a replacement radio, like the one on this eBay listing, will it (presumably) work as expected and play nicely with the steering wheel controls? Will it accept video signal from any type of backup camera?

(Forum won't let me post eBay link, but the item is #311913312227)

3) Instead of replacing the radio unit, I'm considering replacing the rear-view mirror instead. This option seems to be cheaper (and easier to install), but the screen is smaller. Has anyone gone this route instead?

Thanks for your input! :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
No, this eBay item will not work for multiple reason, as far as I searched, this is the one with factory amp and it has no speakers output, also the backup camera input is non standard and you would need Hyundai OEM camera and module that cost hundreds of $$$.

I installed a Pioneer NEX in mine but you can install a cheap AVH-290BT or equiv from WM, I bought a $10 backup camera on eBay, still need to install it, but I know it will work, it's a standard yellow RCA video plug.

It is pretty easy to install, you need to buy a new fascia however, mine is a Scosche HY1625B. Remove old fascia, transfer HVAC/clock to new fascia. Remove old radio, install new radio and fascia.

The harness may be more complicated, I bought the Hyundai plug (Scosche HY12B ) to not have to cut anything, so I wired the Pioneer plug to the Hyundai plug for power/speaker and also aux, bluetooth mic, etc and steering control with a Maestro RR module.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
There are many options out there.. trying a original Hyundai part will not guarantee any extra wiring is there. There are blue tooth models and wired models. Maybe someone on this forum will be able to identify a good method.

Depending if you need a GPS the radio swap out is nice but $$$ on radio and installation, and backup camera install. Be amazed how difficult it is anymore to get just a simple wire run when the dash is one piece. There are still lots of car stereo / customizing stores that can get something going.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, this eBay item will not work for multiple reason, as far as I searched, this is the one with factory amp and it has no speakers output, also the backup camera input is non standard and you would need Hyundai OEM camera and module that cost hundreds of $$$. [...]
Just to confirm: it is NOT possible to buy any used factory radio/display unit that will work with the existing speakers. (Or, it IS possible if I found a compatible model, but will require a factory camera because it doesn't accept RCA video input?)

I stopped by a car accessories store yesterday. They have many screen units on display but most of them seemed to be too "different" from the factory parts, at least for my taste.

[...]Depending if you need a GPS the radio swap out is nice but $$$ on radio and installation, and backup camera install. Be amazed how difficult it is anymore to get just a simple wire run when the dash is one piece. There are still lots of car stereo / customizing stores that can get something going.
Very true. This is just my perception, but it seems that replacing the rear view mirror with one with a built-in screen is an easier approach because it doesn't involve trying to get a wire through the dash. Easier = less expensive, right?

Thank you both for your responses!

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
You can try to get a 2014 radio. The radio part number is:
96180-3Q8504X

This radio differs from the previous ones in 2013 is the C connector. I've attached the wiring diagram with it. You can get the connector on Mouser.com

I haven't checked the A and B Connectors, but in the Elantra they are very similar with only a few pins that is different. The sort of hard part is to wire into the reverse signal. I've also attached the wiring diagram for that if you are adventurous.

A used radio is only about 50 bucks, backup camera another $50 if you are lucky (oem camera new is about $150) but I've heard some people using the cheap chinese backup cameras for under $10 and works just fine. You'll have to do some wiring anyway so you can use any camera if you wish.

If you're really interested in doing it, I've posted a bit more detailed instructions on how to wire it up for an Elantra.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/md-20...e/633833-backup-camera-2011-2013-elantra.html

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I am looking for factory looking back up cam, but don't know quality of video from them. If I change radio, I will be doing backup camera too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts