Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read an article on Instructables a while back that talked about adding 120v AC and USB power ports to a car by disassembling one of those cigarette lighter to AC convertors.

The concept is pretty simple. You open up the convertor and remove the AC socket from the housing, wire the DC input voltage directly to the battery (or an unused circuit capable of handling the amperage), then cut a hole somewhere in your interior with suitable room for the socket to exist and mount the innards of the convertor somewhere inside the car where it can be properly ventilated.

Im pretty crafty with cutting and wiring, so Im sure I could do this in the Sonata, but I am curious if any of you have any ideas of where the 120 v AC socket should go.

Ive never seen the center console/armrest area disassembled, so maybe there is no room, but if anyone has any feedback about where best to do something like this, what are your thoughts? Does anyone have any better ideas on how to accomplish this? For all the technology available in the new Sonata, it seems that an AC outlet is a strange thing to not offer. So many other cars have it as an option nowadays.

·
Hyundai-Forums.com Vendor
369 Posts
the back of the center console would be a good spot, although thats just going by memory and it depends on what you're going to plug in and who's going to use it

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just picked up a 2-socket 400 watt converter at my job for 25 bucks and i wired it directly to my battery with some 8 gauge and ring terminals. Works great with my 360 and laptop.

Mounted the 360 and the converter under my passenger seat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts