Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the 2013 Sonata w/o NAV.

My head unit's stock model is PA 710S.

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on new door speakers, an 8" woofer and a 5-channel amp. I will keep the stock head unit.

There is a cut-out in the back dash to mount the 8" woofer.

However, I am wondering how the stock head unit is going to drive the extra speaker. How do you wire it to drive the amp's 5th channel?

Wiring schematics for the plug appear to be here: Hyundai Sonata: Audio Unit. Components and Components Location - Audio - Body Electrical System - Hyundai Sonata YF 2011-2014 Service Manual

I assume I will use four 6.5 door speakers and the 8" woofer and I will DISABLE the front dash speakers.

I hope to find out that I can configure it as intended above. I am going to hold off on buying the equipment until I can confirm it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Keep the dash speakers, it will help keep the sound up at ear level where it belongs. They are wired parallel with the front door speakers. You may be able to improve the sound of the dash speakers by replacing the factory capacitor (glued to the speaker) with a 47uf or a 33uf capacitor

If you plan on running a woofer free air (no enclosure) select a speaker with a high Qts. Something near 1 would be good. A Pioneer TS-SW841D would be a good example (I'm not recommending anything, just an example of what might work).

The five channel only needs the four inputs.

My Credentials

·
Registered
159 Posts

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on new door speakers, an 8" woofer and a 5-channel amp. I will keep the stock head unit.

However, I am wondering how the stock head unit is going to drive the extra speaker. How do you wire it to drive the amp's 5th channel?

Wiring schematics for the plug appear to be here: Hyundai Sonata: Audio Unit. Components and Components Location - Audio - Body Electrical System - Hyundai Sonata YF 2011-2014 Service Manual

I assume I will use four 6.5 door speakers and the 8" woofer and I will DISABLE the front dash speakers.

I hope to find out that I can configure it as intended above. I am going to hold off on buying the equipment until I can confirm it.

Thanks.
Your AMP is going to drive the extra speaker (8"), not the HU. Wiring will depend on the amp you use (if it has line level inputs built in or not, etc). Plus, the HU has a built in crossover for the dash speakers and the door speakers, so keep that in mind with your set up. And you cannot simply run new wires through the door jam harness. You could tap into the harness, but that requires cutting of the factory harness. There are many different ways to make your set up work great, and many ways to make it sound worse than you think it would. If you are not that technically inclined, I would suggest having a professional shop do the install.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Keep the dash speakers. They are necessary to help make the sound seem like it’s at ear level. The dash speakers are wired in parallel with the front door speakers. More audio from the front speakers would be helpful in a good sound system.

Subwoofer: Very few subwoofers today will work in a free air scenario. You are looking for a subwoofer with a very high Qtc. IMO you need a Qtc of 1 or higher. An example of a woofer that can work free air (I’m not recommending, just posting an example) is the Pioneer TS-SW841D. Its Qts is very high at 1.6.

The five channel amp is a really good idea

My Credentials

·
Registered
1 Posts

What are you plans for a grill for the rear deck?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts