Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! may I ask which refrigerant is suitable for adding in my Accent 2012?
This is the first time i try to change it because i found it is not cold.
Any more information about A/C for Accent 2012? Thank you!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Hi everyone! may I ask which refrigerant is suitable for adding in my Accent 2012?
This is the first time i try to change it because i found it is not cold.
Any more information about A/C for Accent 2012? Thank you!
If it blew cold before & progressilly got warmer i would say freon gas is low. you dont whant to add these $30 cans of R134 yourself, that you see online or store get it done right. so... you dont damage any A/C component take it to a good independant shop they will hook up there High & Low lines evacuate what ever is left inside the A/C system & add apropriate Freon gas & Oil to your vehicles specs i got my jetta toped up with freon for $100.00 at my independant mechanic. (y) done right no headaches to worry about over filling or anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. it is not cold at all. it is totally out of cold air. So what i need to do is buy R134? thanks!

·
Registered
2014 Hyundai Accent Hatchback
321 Posts
Thank you for your reply. it is not cold at all. it is totally out of cold air. So what i need to do is buy R134? thanks!
Like Johns2.0T mentioned, if it progressively got warmer, it means the system is low on freon. Since the A/C systems are closed, it means that the only way freon could escape is through a leak. It could be the condenser, an A/C line or anything like that. You could top up the freon with the R134, but it won't be a permanent fix.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Check your local laws first. Many countries it's illegal to buy the gas without a license.
I know in Canada (where I and the original poster is from) you can buy the R12 freon at any parts store (Canadian Tire or something similar), I'm not too sure about the R134.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
The sale of R12 has been illegal in Australia for many years now. R134A can only be purchased if you have a license then you need a different license to use it. Very tough laws here.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The sale of R12 has been illegal in Australia for many years now. R134A can only be purchased if you have a license then you need a different license to use it. Very tough laws here.
Oh wow, I didn't know that. That is really strict! I think in Canada, you need a license to buy and use it. But R12 can be bought and used by any Joe Blow. The amount of cans I sold today at the parts store I work at is crazy!

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
The best gas I have ever worked with and use is a blend of LPG called Hychill. It's environmentally very friendly, works at the lowest pressure of them all and super cools. People think it's dangerous and your car may blow up one day but that's total BS. Best is you don't need any license to but and use.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I think in Canada, you need a license to buy and use it. But R12 can be bought and used by any Joe Blow.
You sure you haven’t got the refrigerant #’s reversed? Reason I ask is in USA, you need license to buy and use R12 but anybody can buy and use R134a. Also few cars (if any) came with R12 after somewhere in late ‘90s.

·
Registered
321 Posts
You sure you haven’t got the refrigerant #’s reversed? Reason I ask is in USA, you need license to buy and use R12 but anybody can buy and use R134a. Also few cars (if any) came with R12 after somewhere in late ‘90s.
Here's a link to one of the more popular kits people buy at Canadian Tire: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/emzone-a-c-cool-12a-refrigerant-easy-fill-0147931p.html#srp

I know the guys in the shop use R134a as it's in a propane tank looking thing, but we only sell R12a to customers. I'm not too sure if this is true, but as far as I have been told the R12a and the R134a are interchangeable. And that's why we still sell it in the store.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Ah that's the same as Hychill Minus 30. A Hydrocarbon based product. I don't know the outcome of mixing gases having been taught to completely evacuate the system, make sure it's got the right oil then fill up to the correct quantity of gas. I do know of farmers using BBQ gas in their farm equipment without problems.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Like in Australia, you can't legally buy 134a in Canada without a license. Gotta head south of the border if you need some :)

The most commonly used replacement in Canada is known as AC 12a or simply 12a. It's a propane based refrigerant that's sold under several brand names such as Red Tek, and Ultra Cool. These outfits provide recharge kits with gauges etc.

Note that AC 12a isn't R12... The production of R12 was banned in 1996 so nobody makes it any more. It can be recovered from older car AC systems, purified, and then sold, so there is some around to buy. But it's expensive and getting hard to find.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Like in Australia, you can't legally buy 134a in Canada without a license. Gotta head south of the border if you need some :)

The most commonly used replacement in Canada is known as AC 12a or simply 12a. It's a propane based refrigerant that's sold under several brand names such as Red Tek, and Ultra Cool. These outfits provide recharge kits with gauges etc.

Note that AC 12a isn't R12... The production of R12 was banned in 1996 so nobody makes it any more. It can be recovered from older car AC systems, purified, and then sold, so there is some around to buy. But it's expensive and getting hard to find.
Oh wow I didn't know that! So 12a isn't the same as R12, and you can use the 12a in any system that requires R134?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Before you use a flammable refrigerant in your car, watch these...

I don't think that we are allowed to use 12a in our cars in the US.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Before you use a flammable refrigerant in your car, watch these...

I don't think that we are allowed to use 12a in our cars in the US.
Holy crap! So would something simple like say lighting a cigarette cause enough of a spark to do that?

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Of course 300 grams all leaks out at once and then there's a spark. Scare mongering by the opposition. The gas R1234yf which the world is moving to is also flammable.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
874 Posts
Of course 300 grams all leaks out at once and then there's a spark. Scare mongering by the opposition. The gas R1234yf which the world is moving to is also flammable.
Me passing gas is flammable but not marketable for keeping your car cool. 😳🤦‍♂️🤣🤷🏼‍♂️👍

1 - 20 of 21 Posts