Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Business trip down 85 from NC to Greenville, SC (160 miles). Car was fine for 160 miles of interstate. Got off 385 in downtown Greenville and was in stop and go traffic on surface streets. N Line was behaving strangely. Holding 1st gear to 3500 - 4000 RPM and engine making lots of noise but little power. Paddles wouldn't get it out of first. Stopped the car. Rebooted it. Drove fine for about a 1/4 mile then ding*ding*ding check engine light. Went back to holding first. Fortunately I was near my hotel but missed the entrance. 3 point turn, didn't want to go into Reverse but eventually did. Switched back to Drive and no gears engaged. I was just rolling down the hill. 5900 miles.

Currently on a flat bed truck with a nice tow operator. Headed to Charlotte where she was purchased. More to come later.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited
202 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues. Hopefully it gets sorted out quickly. I just had my third "Shifter System Malfunction" warning in my 6 months of ownership. I love my car still, but things like this don't really instill confidence.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues. Hopefully it gets sorted out quickly. I just had my third "Shifter System Malfunction" warning in my 6 months of ownership. I love my car still, but things like this don't really instill confidence.
different trans. but of equal concern. are you using the paddle shifters a lot? what happens when the warning illuminates?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing else detectable other than it driving differently. The check engine light only came on in the last 1/4 mile of the trip so I didn't have much observation time with the warning.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited
202 Posts
different trans. but of equal concern. are you using the paddle shifters a lot? what happens when the warning illuminates?
Oh yeah I know I don't have the DCT. My warning has come on at random startups. Never happened while I was driving. Just gives me the warning when trying to shift out of park and won't change gears. A quick restart fixes it. I don't use paddle shifters unless I really need to force a downshift.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Same thing happened to my K5GT and got a cel P0868. Nothing wrong mechanically. Just some sensor or something. So instead of opening it up and fixing the issue, they ordered a new tranny. This was August 2nd.
Got a call today to let me know tranny is coming in on August 30th. I'm at 8500 kms.
What's the mileage on yours?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Looks like DCTs are like Frankenstein's monster.
A concept that defies Nature's order. Best left to exotic sports cars.
VW and Ford also go burned by them.
Sure, it'd be nice if my Tucson had a peppier engine, but I like it to go every time I press the go pedal, albeit not so briskly.
My last 4 cars were stick shifts.
But if I'm gonna drive an automatic, I want it to be truly automatic!

Reactions: SethD

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Same thing happened to my K5GT and got a cel P0868. Nothing wrong mechanically. Just some sensor or something. So instead of opening it up and fixing the issue, they ordered a new tranny. This was August 2nd.
Got a call today to let me know tranny is coming in on August 30th. I'm at 8500 kms.
What's the mileage on yours?
5900. Haven't even done the first oil change.

·
Registered
944 Posts
This will be second "N" on this forum to need a transmission if that is the problem.

Not a healthy start for the new wet clutch DCT
The question is, is it inevitable for all of the Ns?

There are a few more in the Sonata N Line FB group experiencing DCT issues.

Starting to wonder if I should’ve gone with the more reliable Mazda 3 Turbo.

Which Sonata N has the most miles on their DCT in the forum? djviviani?

1 - 20 of 262 Posts