Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
Just bought a used 2015 Sonata limited with ALL the options (less than 40K miles , no accidents reported) especially for the adaptive cruise control since I have long commute to work

And I notice that the cruise control behavior is very erratic
It detect truck and other large vehicle just fine , around 300-400 yards and change the speed just fine , no big surprises here, however for smaller vehicles (Sedans) I have to be really close for it in order to the system to detect it , which causing the system to apply breaks at the last moment (near heart attack) an on some other instances , I had to slam the breaks since nothing was detected by the system in front of me.
I've check the front grill for any dirt on the radar cover and everything is nice and shiney.

Is this a normal behavior or my radar need calibrated (or software update)?
Another think that I did notice , even though the car was speeding toward slow vehicle , I never got collision alert warning (had to slam the breaks) , can it be part of the issue?

Lane departure and blind spot monitoring work just fine.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have the 2016 and have not seen these issues. It reacts fine to all sizes of cars. About the only time it brakes harder than I would like is when someone cuts into the space in front of me.

Just to double check, the radar plate in the front grill is clean? If so you might be right about it needing to be calibrated or adjusted.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have it on my 2017 SF and it notices any size vehicle on the road. I would have your adaptive cruise control checked by the dealer. It might need to re-calibrated.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Set the following distance to a different setting than what it is at present. I've tried all four distance settings and find four dots is right for me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Since it is under 50K, it might still be under warranty. I have not seen a consistent issues on my 2016.

Have you adjusted the range / sensitivity for the SCC to a longer distance (the longest is the default when you activate the SCC). There is also Sensitivity in the settings: From your owners manual.
User Settings Mode
On this mode, you can change setting of the instrument cluster, doors, lamps, and so on.
Driving Assist
Items Explanation
SCC
(Smart Cruise Control)
Adjust the sensitivity of Smart Cruise Control (SCC) in 3 stages.
- Slow / Normal / Fast
For more information, refer to "Smart Cruise Control (SCC)" in chapter 5.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tried to play with the detection timing (Slow/Fast/Normal) and the distance , since it doesn't detected the car in front of the radar , it doesn't apply any of the algorithms.
Called the dealer and they will have the car checked and hopefully calibrated .

My two (non-scientific) cents ,that it almost seem like the radar is searching high instead of forward , therefore it "hit" the trucks and the buses and not the sedans.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Definitely not normal. I'd have it looked at. My 15 does a **** good job of detecting motorcycles and even cyclists well before it gets too close to them.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
No issues with SCC on my 2015 Sonata.. Its a great feature and ive used it for long distance driving (FL to NY x2).
I would have the shop take a look but it could be aimed high?

I've never looked behind the box and saw what it looks like.

I can tell you SCC will deactivate if you hit a pretty sizable pothole...just from personal experience.

So beware... 0:)

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm also having no issues on '15 2.0T Limited. I think your assumption that the radar is high might be correct since I've had a couple scares behind trailers that have the really small crash bars that ACC doesn't detect well.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Never had any trouble with my 2016 HSH Ultimate. Detects cars and trucks (no motorcycles yet) with no problem. It starts slowing at 80 or so feet away then crawls up to the distance set. They should be able to fix or replace it.

These are going to become almost standard equipment in a few years, and that should drive the price down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got back from the dealer
He said that this is a rare problem and they've going to look into it.

Apparently, the car was involved in some fender bender accident since they've found out the the front grill was replaced , upon removing the grill they've discovered that the mounting bracket that hold the radar box was damaged and someone try to weld it (poorly) to hold it to the frame , however the welding job was not very good (show signed of wear) and it is made the radar box point upward instead of forward .

Since this is looked like accident , it is not covered by the insurance , and replacing just the mounting (assuming the radar is intact) would cost 800$.
I've called the dealer who sold me the car and he assume full responsibility for the fixing cost ,however they require me to bring the car to their lot on Monday.

Hopefully it will be fixed by mount it correctly.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Humm a dealer sold you a car that was in an accident ! ! You bet they are liable. But if it was never reported...

My son was in a parking lot bumper banger, nothing he claimed... barely did anything to his car. YET, when selling the car it was on a report. I guess the other person put in a report.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Apparently, the car was involved in some fender bender accident since
WOW! They sold you car being in an accident??? This they disclose that to you when you were buying it???? So what else is there? Car was in a flood? Are you going to find some drugs and guns inside back seat? Watch for cops with dog...
I would sue them to the end of world and demand brand new car. This is like sleeping with partner having AIDS or similar but NOT telling you...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure that the AIDS analogy is correct although I hope Karma will grant STD to the sales person :)

I've research it a bit from the legal perspective, and since the carfax was clear , the dealer can claim "he didn't knew it", however if I played my card correctly , I will ask Hyundai service to make through check-up to determine that there's no unreported frame damage or any system damage cause by the accident and made the dealer pay for whatever repairs need be done.
Hopefully they will play along as other than that , the car seem to be in excellent condition (sans the hidden drugs/guns/AIDS cache)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Actually, if the dealer sold you the car and reported everything on the car worked as intended you would have a 'foot in the door' for a lawsuit. You could argue they lied about it working because they knew it was in an accident and tried to hide it. If I were you. Here is what I would do.

1) Have lawyer write up a letter of intent to sue and show it to the dealer. (this will motivate them)
2) Take your car to a very reputable service center for a full diagnostic.
3) Demand the dealer repay you for the diagnostic and any problems found or your lawyer will sue.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I will ask Hyundai service to make through check-up to determine that there's no unreported frame damage or any system damage cause by the accident and made the dealer pay for whatever repairs need be done.
I hope you're not taking it to the same dealer to check for frame damage. What are the odds of them screwing you again? Get it looked by a third party as mentioned above.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not, they are not Hyundai dealership, I took the car to Hyundai for the cruise control issue just to find out it was More than I've bargain for.
I've called The dealership which sold me the car (dealer a) to complain about The situation and asked them to take responsibility for whatever repai need to be done , currently they agreed, so I hope we can end this saga there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quick update :
Just came back from the dealer after they replace the ACC mount , and to my surprise , the radar now "see" the car in front of him , regardless it's size or color :)
I was using a loaner car , Jeep 2011 that also had ACC , and I must say that the Hyundai ACC is much more calculated in term of reaction logic to traffic change (mine set to Normal mode)

Thanks for anyone for the help and advises , I guess it's time for me to enjoy my new ride.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts