Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a technical explanation of what this system does other than the vague crap written in the owner's manual?

·
Registered
759 Posts
There are a few threads on the ECO system if you want to read up on it, although they mostly are about people asking whether there is a difference in using it regarding fuel milage.

Personally, I don't like using it as it causes too much "lag".
In a nutshell... what it does is changes your shifting points between gears earlier so that you're not "reving" too high, wasting gas as the engine is running at higher RPM's.
You'll notice that you'll shift through gears quicker, and that acceleration is slower.
Some people say they noticed no difference in fuel consumption. All I know is I don't like it... it's been off almost since day 1 - tried it for about 5-7 days... turned it off.

Search "ECO" in this forum for more info...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
My only experience with it is that it makes no discernible difference in either economy or power delivery. All mine does is illuminate a green light on the dash. :)

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Active ECO does nothing for actual fuel control/delivery/useage to engine.

What it does is in effect short shift the trans trying to get to top gear/lock up ASAP..

ECO --> 1--2--3--4--5--6-lock-up

Normal --> 1----2----3----4----5----6-lockup

Try driving manual trans like ECO.. short shifting increase load, so we lugging rather than drive along freely

Toyota back in late 80's-early 90's had a NORMAL/POWER button.. Normal mode the car drove horrible, Power was more driver friendly for shifting/gear position.

·
Banned
435 Posts
Does ECO have any effect on AC system? My Lexus won't allow MAX AC (full cooling/full fan) in ECO. Makes the Lexus ECO mode pretty useless in Alabama except during the winter. I hope SFS ECO isn't similar.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I quit using it several tanks ago. Am now getting 2-3 mpg better around the home area. Did not see much difference on the road but still leave it off. The turbo is much more fun to drive with it off. The better mpg is an added extra. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I see only a marginal improvement in MPG at best. The lack of power negates any minimal gain in mileage so while I am trying Eco again, it only solidified my decision to keep it off.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Forgive me, I'm not very mechanically inclined. So I could be completely wrong with this theory.

With a traditional engine, lower shift points/RPMs = better fuel economy. But with a turbocharged engine... the turbo's sweet spot with maximum efficiency is at higher RPMs, right? So... lower RPMs causing the engine to lug wouldn't be the fuel saver... higher RPMs get more turbo boost, more power, better fuel to power ratio?

So maybe that is why the ECO button doesn't have the fuel savings one might think? (At least with the 2.0T)

Again, I could be completely wrong...?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts