Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following statement is from a Hyundai press release:
"... the Active ECO system modifies engine and transmission control to smooth out throttle response."​

So, do we know what happens when you are in ECO mode, but have moved to the Shiftronic mode to shift manually? Is the fuel mix "leaner" or is something else happening? Or is it just a light on the dash at this point?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I haven't tried yet, but logic tells me that "shiftronic mode" would override "eco mode". I will try it tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Ever short shift a manual trans ? Same basic idea with ECO,, get you to 4th or 5th gear as soon as possible to reduce engine speed to reduce fuel consumption.

Real drive oriented person may pick up on decreased driveabilty feel.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I haven't tried yet, but logic tells me that "shiftronic mode" would override "eco mode". I will try it tomorrow morning.
Actually, further in the manual, it will say that shiftronic is a way for the driver to override eco mode.

Ever short shift a manual trans ? Same basic idea with ECO,, get you to 4th or 5th gear as soon as possible to reduce engine speed to reduce fuel consumption.

Real drive oriented person may pick up on decreased driveabilty feel.
It also makes you accelerate into highway speed very slowly creating a dangerous situation in some cases lol.

I think Eco-Mode is much better suited for city driving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, further in the manual, it will say that shiftronic is a way for the driver to override eco mode.
It actually says that ECO mode will be "limited". I find on page 5-31 of the manual:
When using sports mode:
The system will be limited according to the shift location.​

I understand that the Active ECO transmission control is overridden when in "sports mode". I'm wondering about the engine control that is also referenced. Is the fuel mixture retarded (may not be the correct term) in ECO, regardless of the method selected for shifting?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'm wondering about the engine control that is also referenced. Is the fuel mixture retarded (may not be the correct term) in ECO, regardless of the method selected for shifting?
There has been some discussion of this in the past. Not just here but in all the other Hyundai model forums. I've searched far and wide and there doesn't seem to be any info available on what happens to the engine management system when ECO mode is activated.

Because it's only available on cars with Auto transmissions, I'm guessing it does nothing to the engine's timing, fuel mixture etc.. If it did, it would also be available on Manual transmission cars so they could derive the same benefits that this supposed engine 'tuning' provides.

I think it's just a shift point, torque converter lock thing.

·
Registered
660 Posts
My manual transmission has eco mode. It just pops up a little indicator on my dash telling me to shift to the next gear for fuel efficiency though. Usually at like 2k RPM or something really daft.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There has been some discussion of this in the past. Not just here but in all the other Hyundai model forums. I've searched far and wide and there doesn't seem to be any info available on what happens to the engine management system when ECO mode is activated.

Because it's only available on cars with Auto transmissions, I'm guessing it does nothing to the engine's timing, fuel mixture etc.. If it did, it would also be available on Manual transmission cars so they could derive the same benefits that this supposed engine 'tuning' provides.

I think it's just a shift point, torque converter lock thing.
I just searched again and found this description on the Kia site. I would imagine that the same would apply to the Hyundai system:

The Active Eco System proactively controls parts of the engine, transmission and air condition system to realize optimal fuel economy. The Active Eco System raises fuel economy by minimizing fuel consumption from unnecessary acceleration, limiting the torque from rising when accelerating and optimizing the AC compressor’s duration of operation. Tests show that the Active Eco System enhances fuel economy by around 11%.​

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My manual transmission has eco mode. It just pops up a little indicator on my dash telling me to shift to the next gear for fuel efficiency though. Usually at like 2k RPM or something really daft.
I think that's just a shift light.. Is there a switch on the dash to turn it on and off?

I'm going by this page where it says "All Accent models with automatic transmission have an Active ECO System". https://www.hyundaiusa.com/accent/performance.aspx

·
Registered
660 Posts
I think that's just a shift light.. Is there a switch on the dash to turn it on and off?

I'm going by this page where it says "All Accent models with automatic transmission have an Active ECO System". https://www.hyundaiusa.com/accent/performance.aspx
It is just a shift light, but it only happens when eco mode is on. When I turn eco mode off I don't get a shift light. It's not a traditional shift light like most manual transmission cars have though - it tells me what gear I should be in based on how fast I am going, and instead of telling me when to shift it just tells me what gear provides the best gas mileage. In fact, when my throttle is maxed out the light doesn't even come on because the car knows I am trying to accelerate quickly, so it doesn't bother telling me what gear to be in for fuel efficiency. When eco mode is on this is the *only* change in how my car operates. It doesn't mess with the AC or throttle at all, as far as I can tell.

If I had to guess, eco mode on the automatic transmission will just automatically shift at lower RPMs for you. It's hard to believe the cheapy Hyundai is going to be anything more than that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
(from the Kia site) Tests show that the Active Eco System enhances fuel economy by around 11%.
Hyundai is only claiming a 7% improvement in fuel economy with Active ECO, so the Hyundai version probably doesn't involve the AC compressor. I think jwt873 is correct, and Active ECO only affects the transmission shift points, and does nothing at all when in Shiftronic or "sport" mode.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts