Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Wife did... thankfully, she is all OK, the vehicle not so much...

Driving in rolling rush hour traffic, sneezed - closed eyes - opened eyes - smash!! right into the back of a Honda. No air bag deployment and more damage on the Honda than the SF.

leaking a little fluid so towed to shop and will await damage report today. seems like the bodywork has a good crumple zone and I'm hopeful that any repairs will bring this 3 month old back to new!!

on a side note, the Hyundai Roadside Assistance was less than stellar. They will only tow to an approved place and Hyundai dealers approved shop is not on their list.... WTF... not very helpful when wife is shaken, alone and dealership is closed for the night. Finally got it towed to shop but after many unnecessary calls.

Real shame as it just had a good polish job and was driving perfectly.... no issues whatsoever so hope it comes back good as new.

·
Registered
225 Posts

Driving in rolling rush hour traffic, sneezed - closed eyes - opened eyes - smash!! right into the back of a Honda. No air bag deployment and more damage on the Honda than the SF.

leaking a little fluid so towed to shop and will await damage report today. seems like the bodywork has a good crumple zone and I'm hopeful that any repairs will bring this 3 month old back to new!!

on a side note, the Hyundai Roadside Assistance was less than stellar. They will only tow to an approved place and Hyundai dealers approved shop is not on their list.... WTF... not very helpful when wife is shaken, alone and dealership is closed for the night. Finally got it towed to shop but after many unnecessary calls.

Real shame as it just had a good polish job and was driving perfectly.... no issues whatsoever so hope it comes back good as new.
Glad everyone is okay.

I've never been a fan of roadside programs offered by car manufacturers. This is why I add, for a whopping $1.50/month with Progressive, their roadside assistance which is far better than any experience I've ever had with dealer provided services.

·
Registered
210 Posts

Good to know she is OK.

Hope you get a nice repair job so that it becomes new as it was.

As "zachd" mentioned, we also relay on our Mercury insurance for roadside assistance. We are with them for almost 14 years now. Whenever we needed, they were there on the dot. But never on manufacturers.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Good, everyone is ok

We hope your SF come back new again

·
Registered
16 Posts
Crash at 2700 Mi....:)

Just got rear ended by a kid in a '95 Taurus. Rear bumper and tail pipe done. He does have insurance but I'm still pissed. Just sitting at a red light and Bamm! Said his brakes didn't work.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hope his insurance is current. Two accidents with two different people in early 2012... cost us 1k in deductibles. Both gave the cops insurance cards.. both policies had lasped..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Brakes didn't work....95 taurus......ugggggg. I can only imaging calling the taurus a POS would be a compliment to it. I'm sure all us new FE owners are waiting for the hammer to fall on this scenario.

Hope you get it fixed competently, the paint matches at least 99% of original and all is good again.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Kid is right, I had an old Taurus and I rear ended someone when everyone in front of me stopped suddenly, brakes on that car and on Ford vehicles in general aren't worth a dime, and have long stopping distance (130+ft ave).
My security company had a newer model Taurus I was using and it was the same thing, I braked hard once on my own to check and it took forever to stop, I had a Chevy at the time and the brakes were tight and would stop hard and fast, so I've been done since then with Ford.
Anyway, sucks for you, but at least the damage was not so severe that it bent the frame or anything, sucks, but it's easily repairable.

·
2,253 Posts
most people dont know, but you need to bleed your brakes at least once every other year (every year is preferred).
brake fluid is EXTREMELY hygroscopic - so much so, that you cant keep a used(opened) bottle of it, longer than 30 days. its not even advisable to open the reservoir unless you want to bleed the system.

old/used brake fluid will have moisture that once exposed to high brake pressure/temps will cause steam pockets resulting in zero brake pressure when exposed to emergency braking, highway braking, or anytime temps reach higher than slow driving.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Just got rear ended by a kid in a '95 Taurus. Rear bumper and tail pipe done. He does have insurance but I'm still pissed. Just sitting at a red light and Bamm! Said his brakes didn't work.
If you checked his phone record I'd bet he was texting!!!:D I heard the other day that phone use, mostly texting IIRC, has taken over from alcohol as the number 1 cause of teen deaths while driving.
What didn't work was his brain, I'd bet.

·
Registered
254 Posts
most people dont know, but you need to bleed your brakes at least once every other year (every year is preferred).
brake fluid is EXTREMELY hygroscopic - so much so, that you cant keep a used(opened) bottle of it, longer than 30 days. its not even advisable to open the reservoir unless you want to bleed the system.

old/used brake fluid will have moisture that once exposed to high brake pressure/temps will cause steam pockets resulting in zero brake pressure when exposed to emergency braking, highway braking, or anytime temps reach higher than slow driving.
I'll bet most cars never get the brakes even looked at unless the brakes are being serviced.

I have added brake fluid to cars and always use a new container of brake fluid, pitching whatever is leftover.

For regular driving (non performance and not going down long mountain declines) the small bit of moisture that enters the braking system through normal exposure to the elements doesn't seem to cause a rash of brake failures.

Most I've seen have been a result of either brakes in need of new pads, or, leaks in the braking system.

Texting and general cell phone use while driving are much more dangerous. Even streaming music from a phone to the car's system is very distracting, as you try to find that song that you "just gotta hear".:)

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you checked his phone record I'd bet he was texting!!!:D I heard the other day that phone use, mostly texting IIRC, has taken over from alcohol as the number 1 cause of teen deaths while driving.
What didn't work was his brain, I'd bet.
Phone records should be investigated as part of any traffic accident, especially one involving injury.

The party at fault is likely the one on the phone. Would save lots of time and effort negotiating fault % levels in accidents.

My personal feeling is that if you are using a phone and in an accident, it's automatically your fault.:eek:

The government has everybody's records now, so it wouldn't be hard - just issue warrants for records of accident participants.

Most local governments could erase their budget deficits if they just tacked on a surcharge to the fee charged for any tickets written where the person was using a phone at the time of the ticket. Records prove it easily. States could do the same for highway citations.

Most incidents of "bad driving behavior" that I have seen have been by people with a phone pressed up to their ears. Simple case of a 6 cylinder car vs a 4 cylinder brain.:)

·
2,253 Posts
I have added brake fluid to cars and always use a new container of brake fluid, pitching whatever is leftover.
in theory, the braking system is a closed loop system. if you had to add some fluid, thats due to pad wear or a leak. when i notice low fluid, that's my time to inspect the pads. if anyone is interested, i made a video depicting checking/changing brake pads for the standard calipers, using my sisters 2005 Toyota Highlander. the same principal should apply to our Santa Fe. heck this principal applies to 75% of the cars out there(built within the last 20 years. (unless you have high performance/sport brakes)

·
Registered
20 Posts
So we picked up our Santa Fe on Sunday evening. It was located 3-4 hours north of us; it was the closest FWD loaded SF in our area, so the drive was totally worth it. Anyways, my wife drove it to work Monday and Tuesday, then I drove it to work Wednesday. My co-workers wanted to see it. I showed them around 8 am then showed my dad right after work at 5pm and noticed that someone hit me. No note, just a busted up Santa Fe. I waited for months to find the right SF, and within 72 hours it's already has more damage than my 09 TSX. I guess all I can say is oh well.

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sucks, if it was only the bumper it wouldn't be so bad, but the hatch is dented too, which will involve body work and a paint job, which I hope will match 100%.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts