Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced an accidental shift from automatic to sports mode when attempting to "park" your Sonata? It happened to me last weekend. My car shot forward like a torpedo, doing considerable damage, not just to my car but to others as well. I have often thought it takes no effort to switch to the sports mode, but have never used it. Now I wish it were not available.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sorry to hear, i always rest my hand on the gear shift and have occasionally slipped it over but I've always noticed. Hope no one was hurt.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i know its kinda off topic.. but kind of on topic at the same time.. but is there a maximum speed we can shift from tiptronic to full auto ? or do we have to stop the car and then put it in full auto? i know some of the older model tiptronic would have like a maxium speed of 35 mph before you can put it back into full auto.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Speed shouldn't matter, all you're doing is telling the car's computer to either take full control of the gear changing or listen to what you tell it (until you hit the high or low points of the current gear when it overrides).

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
i know its kinda off topic.. but kind of on topic at the same time.. but is there a maximum speed we can shift from tiptronic to full auto ? or do we have to stop the car and then put it in full auto? i know some of the older model tiptronic would have like a maxium speed of 35 mph before you can put it back into full auto.
I can switch mine back and forth at any speed.

I have noticed when I switch it back to 'auto' mode that it shifts kinda strange for a minute, almost like it needs a minute to relearn what to do.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Has anyone experienced an accidental shift from automatic to sports mode when attempting to "park" your Sonata? It happened to me last weekend. My car shot forward like a torpedo, doing considerable damage, not just to my car but to others as well. I have often thought it takes no effort to switch to the sports mode, but have never used it. Now I wish it were not available.
You have to of had your foot on the gas for that to happen. Also how do you NOT know it was not in park. Park is a LONG way from the manual mode. lol

·
Registered
689 Posts
The only time I shifter to manualmatic or shiftronic or w/e its called is when I quickly changed form Park to Drive. Other than that, can't say I have. idk about going so far as to say that you wish it werent available, as its somewhat useful

·
Registered
461 Posts
just because you shifted it to manual mode while parking would not make it shoot forward like a torpedo as you stated without mistakenly hitting the gas instead of the brake.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Hi kayonthelake welcome to the forum. As mentioned by others it's not possible for a car to do this. Using shiftronic and switching into manual mode simply leaves the vehicle in the gear you are driving in and allows you to "shift" up or down. Acceleration is controlled by brake and gas just like regular automatic. I suggest finding a large empty parking lot and learning how manual mode really works.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
746 Posts
Sorry to hear about the damage. The shifter has two gear range indicators, one at the shifter and one on the cluster. One should always visually verify before removing foot from brake pedal. I am not trying to sound mean or rude, but it was avoidable.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
788 Posts
Gremlins!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Please turn in your keys. LOL, just kidding.

The only "problem" I've had with manual mode is if I decelerate from high speed back down to low gears, and I forgot I'm in manual mode (I'm getting older fellas), it won't upshift when I take off. This is an idiot at the steering wheel problem though, not a car problem.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Please turn in your keys. LOL, just kidding.

The only "problem" I've had with manual mode is if I decelerate from high speed back down to low gears, and I forgot I'm in manual mode (I'm getting older fellas), it won't upshift when I take off. This is an idiot at the steering wheel problem though, not a car problem.
A pebkac issue? :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts