Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 NF Sonata 3.3l V6 sedan (Right Hand Drive). The hand brake has become ineffective even with the lever raised to its maximum position. Can anyone tell me how to go about accessing the hand brake adjuster. I believe it is situated immediately behind the hand brake lever and the centre console has to be removed in order to access it. I've looked at the console and came to the conclusion that it would be one heck of a job, possibly involving seat removal, in order to accomplish it. Would really appreciate advice from anyone who has done this before. Firstly, am I right in believing that the adjuster is immediately behind the lever, and if so, what is the full procedure for accessing it. Many thanks - Bob Deb

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Park brake adjust...

Flotsam is correct. Sign up for the HMA site. Wealth of information. There are two adjustments. Behind the lever, which does require floor consul removal adjusts the lever height only and not the park brakes themselves. That adjustment is done at the rear brake and is explained in detail at the HMA site.

Brake shoes first, lever second (if needed after adjusting the shoes)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Park Brake Adjustment pdf

Here is a pdf of the procedure for adjusting the park brake. I needed it so while I was at it. You will have to investigate the consul removal for yourself.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
In the bottom armrest compartment, there is a black piece of cardboard like cloth, it easily comes up. I believe on the drivers side of the piece there is a place to put a flat head screwdriver and just easily pop it out without removing or doing anything. Under that, you will see where the hand brake links to the rear brakes.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Noticed one thing and don't know if this will impact you as your car is right hand drive. The hmaservice is intended for North American market cars. I do not remember if they require a VIN when you register or not. If you have no success message me privately and i have a flash-based stand alone version of the manual, but it is still for left hand drive (pretty sure the handbrake section would still be applicable)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for your replies, I will endeavour to register with hmaservice.com and have the PDF to assist as well. To be honest, I am extremely hopeful that the park brake adjustment at the rear wheels may do the job because it looks to me as though Hyundai started with a floor console and built a car around it. Consequently I am not relishing having to remove it. Have been proccupied with other matters over last few days but will tackle the task very shortly. Many thanks again to all for your advice. Bob Deb.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Removing the center console isn't impossible; it's just tedious. If you need help, I've removed mine a couple times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts