Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Has anyone found a way to get access to iPhone Siri in the 2014 model? Anyone try to install the 2017 (or newer) software update to the 2014?(would also make carplay available)

Very frustrating that Hyundai hasn't provided this update. Being able to engage Siri so I can hear text messages sure would be nice.

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
47 Posts
I, too, have the 2014 SFS with navigation. Unfortunately, it does not link with Siri. Hyundai did not provide “sync” until 2017 in the Santa Fe series. Upgrading to a 2017 head unit probably won’t work, either, as the wiring harness & onboard computer are not compatible (although they look very similar on the outside). Due to the climate control display on the head unit (among other issues), it is difficult to find an after market unit that will work with your model. Believe me, I’ve been through it all. I’ve been looking for ways to get Apple Carplay. I have found some Chinese models that’s claim to be “plug & play” with the Hyundai Nav unit. I’m not sure I would be willing to go that way. Wish I had better news. Sorry...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I, too, have the 2014 SFS with navigation. Unfortunately, it does not link with Siri. Hyundai did not provide “sync” until 2017 in the Santa Fe series. Upgrading to a 2017 head unit probably won’t work, either, as the wiring harness & onboard computer are not compatible (although they look very similar on the outside). Due to the climate control display on the head unit (among other issues), it is difficult to find an after market unit that will work with your model. Believe me, I’ve been through it all. I’ve been looking for ways to get Apple Carplay. I have found some Chinese models that’s claim to be “plug & play” with the Hyundai Nav unit. I’m not sure I would be willing to go that way. Wish I had better news. Sorry...
Thanks for your input. I was really hoping that Hyundai would provide a better service to their past customers by developing software updates to meet customers demands. There is no reason our head unit can't support this feature and im sure it wouldn take much software programing effort to add it. Whats the point of being able to upgrade the vehicles software if they dont develop new versions(ie with new features) Providing this feature in a newer model doesnt justify buying a newer model, but it will make me think twice about buying Hyundai again in the future. Ok my rant is done.

·
Registered
142 Posts
2013 through 2015 Hyundai nav system operate on Microsoft Windows CE operating system. Somewhat like Fords Sync system was. When Hyundai started offering Car play and Android Auto the head unit was redesigned to operate on a form of android operating system. The Microsoft system may be hard coded into the head unit. If that is the case you could not update to the newer system. I don't know when the change was made to the new operating system.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I believe these units only replace the non-navigation head units. However, great to have after market options for those non-navers.
Hmm, the particular unit referenced appears to be for Nav units, but the website is a bit sparse on details like that, IMO.
The pricing seems "decent" (I spent more than that on my old Pioneer head unit for my old 2005 Chevy Equinox) and I self-installed (ugh).
I noticed they didn't list anything about wiring harnesses, etc. so I'm a bit suspicious (I'm pretty sure that the wiring harnesses are very different between 2013-2018 MY, also depending on trim level).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts