Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was thinking about someone's post who said unless we turbo the Accent will never be fast. So I was thinking about engine swaps and other cars comparable to the Accent. And the only one that has a sport model with power is the Mini. The base Mini is very similar to the 3dr accent.. both hatachbacks, but 1.6 115hp vs 110hp about the same torque and weight.

But then you have the Cooper S. With over 50more HP an 40more torque. I would prefer a supercharger to a turbo. And there really arent any engine swaps I can think of. Would the elantra motor fit? Other than the Scoupe Turbo which was only like 1.5L and 115hp. Has Hyundai made any other turbo or superchargered models?

I see a few people on here are trying to turbo. What if we got a group together for Jackson Racing or something and offered them a test car and a certain amount of buyers?

How many of you would be interested in a supercharger kit? I mean real serious like to put a deposit or whatever for them to make it?

·
Registered
810 Posts
The Mini Cooper's way out of our class thanks to its weight. It's literally out of our class anyway; I think it sits in the sport compact class or at least the compact class despite being actually smaller than most of the sub-compacts. A John Works edition destroys a lot of cars in that class and a bunch outside too thanks to having like 160hp and 200lbs of torque at a paltry 6k RPM (edit: holy god, '09s have like 210hp but the same torque!). But then it really should since it's more or less the same price as an STI/Evo, at least here in Canada.

As for superchargers, that's the route I want to go and have wanted to go for a while since barring an engine swap, these cars will never be insane like those early Honda Civic 4 bangers. At the end of the day, all I really want is gobs and gobs of low end power and torque - enough to let me take off at the line and blow people away while their turbos as still spooling, or to let me dominate uphill mountain driving which I do from time to time in my baby. I already outhandle most of my buddies with the car stock but the straights and steeper hills kill me. I've been looking at the Eaton TVS R900 myself thanks to its compact size and newer design. Only problem is trying to find one so I can see if the silly thing can sit on the block and not require me to modify the hood while I'm at it without buying it first. I will modify the hood if I have to, but I ideally want a very subtle hood scoop and a giant STI-like one would turn me off big time...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well Joey, people do engine swaps quite often. The most common swap would be the beta 1 or 2 into an accent from an elantra or tib. As for the mini......that car is made by bmw so the handling on that thing is just insanely awesome but they are waaaay to pricey for what you get imho. I am actually looking into getting a Jackson racing S/C, the newest one that is a centrifugal charger (looks like a turbo but belt driven instead of exhaust driven) and I would mount it where the A/C would have been as I purchased my car w/out an A/C. The piping would be rather easy to set up w/ or w/out an intercooler. W/out boosting our cars, your best bet would be some suspension upgrades then some of the more "all engine" oriented mods ie port/polish heads, valve job etc etc.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Tenrilid @ Jun 20 2010, 01:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334669
Well Joey, people do engine swaps quite often. The most common swap would be the beta 1 or 2 into an accent from an elantra or tib. As for the mini......that car is made by bmw so the handling on that thing is just insanely awesome but they are waaaay to pricey for what you get imho. I am actually looking into getting a Jackson racing S/C, the newest one that is a centrifugal charger (looks like a turbo but belt driven instead of exhaust driven) and I would mount it where the A/C would have been as I purchased my car w/out an A/C. The piping would be rather easy to set up w/ or w/out an intercooler. W/out boosting our cars, your best bet would be some suspension upgrades then some of the more "all engine" oriented mods ie port/polish heads, valve job etc etc.

I know they are sold through BMW's and 2 years ago I had a 318ti M-Sport which is the 4cyl hatchback with the m3 body kit and suspension. It wasn't that fast, but handled better than any car I ever had. The mini is RWD? But Anyways I am not comparing our cars to the S and especially not the special edition ones.. I am comparing it to the base model that does 0-60 in 9.1 seconds. Anyone know what a 2007 SE does? I know the 2010's are heavier - mine doesn't have the sunroof or cd and cass radio.

And maybe price range they might be in another class- the regular Mini is 19,500$ to start and the SE is about $16,500 fully loaded. The website lists the new models at 2568 or 2646 with auto and 0-60 of 8.5 or 9.7 with auto. Must be cause the new ones have 118hp and 114lb of torque.. alittle more than the eariler ones. So I mean by numbers alone they are not out of our class. Atleast not the base model. I'd bet the SR would take a base mini.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
The Mini is FWD with a 62/38 F/R weight distrubution. It is about 200lbs heavier than a GS accent. Exterior dimensions are very similar. It benefits a lot from BMW's suspension tuning and has an independant rear suspension. It probably walks over an Accent SE. Hyundai still has a lot of work to do in the handling department.

That said, I'd prefer any turbo setup to a supercharger. They're easier to install and easy to upgrade. A small turbo like a GT15 should be lag free and provide plenty of power.

·
Registered
556 Posts
QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Jun 20 2010, 04:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334717
The Mini is FWD with a 62/38 F/R weight distrubution. It is about 200lbs heavier than a GS accent. Exterior dimensions are very similar. It benefits a lot from BMW's suspension tuning and has an independant rear suspension. It probably walks over an Accent SE. Hyundai still has a lot of work to do in the handling department.

That said, I'd prefer any turbo setup to a supercharger. They're easier to install and easy to upgrade. A small turbo like a GT15 should be lag free and provide plenty of power.
Listen no one seems to understand this... A supercharger runs of what? ...waiting, waiting... Bingo. The car. A small engine supercharged is just a terrible idea, especially if you want to make power. Big blocks, and small block chevy's are good to supercharge because the engine has enough power as it is. A supercharge takes power away from the motor... I mean you get more power, but it's more strenuous then you think. A turbo however runs off hot gas. It's a compressor... Takes no energy at all to make power out of one.

·
Administrator
2021 Elantra Limited
3,869 Posts
The 2.0 in the Soul is just the old Beta.  No Beta swaps on MC'S from anyone here that I'm aware of, but there have been many on the LC/X3's.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (StevenWang @ Jun 20 2010, 05:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334726
Listen no one seems to understand this... A supercharger runs of what? ...waiting, waiting... Bingo. The car. A small engine supercharged is just a terrible idea, especially if you want to make power. Big blocks, and small block chevy's are good to supercharge because the engine has enough power as it is. A supercharge takes power away from the motor... I mean you get more power, but it's more strenuous then you think. A turbo however runs off hot gas. It's a compressor... Takes no energy at all to make power out of one.
A few manufacturer built cars with superchargers then decided to go turbo. The cobalt SS and Mini switched to turbocharging to name a few. On a pure enthusiast standpoint, turbocharging is much more attractive to buyers.

QUOTE (Shingo1-6 @ Jun 20 2010, 08:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334754
Does anyone know if the 2.0 engine on the Kia Soul will fit the accent's mounting points?
Not without custom engine mounts. They are in a similar location but probably won't line up. Same thing for the Beta engine in the Elantra.

·
Registered
810 Posts
QUOTE (StevenWang @ Jun 20 2010, 03:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334726
I understand it very well. I also understand that for an engine of our size, you need a relatively small turbo (or else low boost) else the turbo lag will make you a laughing stock because it's not getting enough pressure, which means you're not getting "big" power anyhow. This is why the best drag cars are consistently supercharged, not turbocharged since acceleration is most important to start. Ergo, a supercharger for low end power and torque is just fine and dandy for zipping around the city and impressing people with its great acceleration under controlled environments and let's be honest, that'll be 95% of our normal daily driving with these vehicles for those of us who do go either way in the end. Big deal if I only get ~160hp SC versus ~180hp TC - both cars will get smoked by the same vehicles in the end. If you want big power, you aren't getting it out of our engines - not without blowing it or putting far more money into it than someone doing a SC setup will.

·
Registered
556 Posts
QUOTE (Naky @ Jun 20 2010, 09:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334770
I understand it very well. I also understand that for an engine of our size, you need a relatively small turbo (or else low boost) else the turbo lag will make you a laughing stock because it's not getting enough pressure, which means you're not getting "big" power anyhow. This is why the best drag cars are consistently supercharged, not turbocharged since acceleration is most important to start. Ergo, a supercharger for low end power and torque is just fine and dandy for zipping around the city and impressing people with its great acceleration under controlled environments and let's be honest, that'll be 95% of our normal daily driving with these vehicles for those of us who do go either way in the end. Big deal if I only get ~160hp SC versus ~180hp TC - both cars will get smoked by the same vehicles in the end. If you want big power, you aren't getting it out of our engines - not without blowing it or putting far more money into it than someone doing a SC setup will.
This is an alpha motor. 1.5L turbo.
No big power? shocking...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EUs1rTBpgo

Only 4 cylinder 1.5 to ever run 10's and one of the only 4 cyls to run 10s.
Secondly my buddies GT37R .82ar trim on his 1.8T made 1000AWHP. Runs 10's allllllll day.

How do you blow up a 1.6L with 10-1 compression and forged pistons and rods? The alpha 2 carries forged pistons and rods. and 10-1 is pretty good to boost. I don't see anyone blowing up these motors.

·
Registered
63 Posts
QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Jun 20 2010, 08:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334768
Not without custom engine mounts. They are in a similar location but probably won't line up. Same thing for the Beta engine in the Elantra.
OK thanks.

As for the G4 Alpha II, I know it has forged rods, but I thought that the pistons were non-forged, but Diamond-like-coated. If I ever installed a turbo kit, I had been planning on picking up some forged pistons just to be safe.

·
Registered
810 Posts
QUOTE (dAMIAn78 @ Jun 20 2010, 10:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334822
Where does it say the pistons are forged? I've read the rods are but that the pistons are only coated, whatever that means.
From what I've looked into, the pistons are definitely not forged. Dunno where he keeps grabbing that from.

Also, that video has nothing to do with what I was talking about at all so it's not even worth commenting on - it's a different block altogether with probably more money than all of us have put into our cars combined invested in it. You might as well have shown me a video of a Honda Civic for all the relevance it has - I'm well aware of the fact that 4 bangers can have big power. The problem is that we don't know the limitations of the Alpha II engine and slapping a 106mm turbo into the car and praying to the Hyundai gods that the stock internals don't go explode-y when it finally spools sometime next decade is hardly a plan. And even if it does work, at the end of the day you've got yourself a high HP Accent sitting on an unaerodynamic FWD chassis designed for 110hp, lacking any sort of LSD that'll still get smoked by any RWD/AWD with equivalent power. Fact of the matter is, the car wasn't designed for anything like this so why bother pushing it to the extreme limit unless you got money to blow? A small TC or SC setup is fine for fun, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In my opinion the minute you move from a stock car to a custom car the value goes out the window ... the only other person to buy that car from you is a true enthusiast. As for the kind of mods ... I'll go for the turbo, yes you might experience a bit of lag but you will achieve the right figures. If you put about 50% more power to the wheels I would say JOB well done ... from 110HP to 165HP the figures will be close to the Cooper S (167HP for the latest model, 0-60 in 6.7s). The remaining question will be how can you put the power to the wheels ... LSD to the rescue for that and most definitely some suspension mods to keep the car down.

If one can reach the figures or come very close the next question will be the stock price of the Accent & mods versus the Mini Cooper stock price.

Check Damian's page on Cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3186253. he makes 168HP with his standard motor. The question now is how much does he make 0 - 60 or 0 - 100km/h???

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've never been to the track with the car so I have no idea what those numbers are and the butt dyno is always optimistic. I had some sticky Kuhmo XS summer tires on the car and didn't have wheelspin problems, but then again I may have had clutch slipping issues.

I have a friend with an EVO X, my Accent doesn't get embarrassed by that car in a straight line. He starts to pull away at about 50 but it's not as extreme as you might think. I can hang behind it without losing much distance all the way to 100..In the corners is another story altogether, trying to match his entry speed into turns was a white knuckle experience.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
QUOTE (clearviz @ Jun 21 2010, 03:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334838
If one can reach the figures or come very close the next question will be the stock price of the Accent & mods versus the Mini Cooper stock price.
The thing is, in the end, on paper they will look very similar, but I imagine the Mini would still outhandle the Accent and be more fun to drive, the steering feedback on the Accent is mediocre at best, and braking feel is pretty numb.

Mini has IRS, an LSD, all in a package designed for the power, with a warranty that won't be voided due to excessive modification. A few small mods and you can have the mini well over 250hp easy. Try that with an Accent.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (StevenWang @ Jun 21 2010, 12:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334937
I'm almost positive those pistons are forged.
If anyone wants to find out what kind of pistons the alpha 2 uses, they'll have to look at them. Forged pistons will have a smoother surface where it hasn't been machined while cast pistons will have a rougher texture.

The crank and pistons are most likely cast as it is the most cost effective process.

How to tell a forged crankshaft from a cast
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0..._to/index1.html

1 - 20 of 23 Posts