Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 Accent surges at idle and cruising speeds but not when accelerating. The mileage has dropped from 39 to 17. My cheepy code reader shows no codes. I have changed the map, maf, iac, upstream 02 and tps Also tried to locate any vacuum leaks and checked coil pack, plugs and wires.
I drives over forty five miles a day and the gas mileage is breaking the bank. Any ideas would be appreciated

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
step 1 is to stop replacing parts at random like that. i understand you want to get it fixed, but this doesn't fix anything - as you may have noticed. its a good way to empty your wallet though.

considering you're surging at times when engine load is at its lowest point, i'm suspecting fuel trim isn't working correctly. start by checking the injectors, one may be sticking open a bit.

try to diagnose by using a mechanic's stethoscope on each injector one by one. you should hear a loud snap from it as it opens and closes. if you're not getting that, replace the injector. you can also take them out and it should be pretty evident which one isn't closing all the way - if that is indeed the problem.

don't even think about injector cleaners. they won't help you here.

also check wiring, leave no stone unturned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the stethoscope check like you said. They all made the clicking noise but #4 seemed to be noticeably slower and not as loud. Then I checked resistance with a ohmmeter. The book shows 13 -18. Three came in about 6 and #4 was only about 3. With 171,000 miles on it I guess I am due for new injectors. Thanks for your great help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts