Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2010 Accent GS for my daughter to learn to drive with and also so I could store my 2008 Tiburon during the winter.

Right after I bought it I put new wheels on it....now I didn't pay attention to the ride prior to that ( it was only a couple of days old) but right away I noticed 2 things...vibrations and a sensation of wheel hop. The car has a jittery sensation, especially between 35-45 mph. This occurs even on smooth roads.

The original place tried 3 times to balance ( each time they claimed they got it fixed) but the only thing fixed was the steering wheel vibration. This included a forced balance.

I have had 2 more places balance them but there is still this jittery feeling, especially from the back end. Each time the place tells me,yeah they were out of balance so we rebalanced them. But its still there, sometimes slightly better but still there. This time its worse after the balance. This place did say 3 tires were out of round...only have 6000 miles on the car.

Beginning to wonder if it isn't the suspension as I have read other posts on some Hyundai cars where people have reported jittery rides.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to fix it...or am I just going to have to get used to that ride?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow I'm so glad that I got on here i am looking for some aftermarket wheels myself I'll have to make sure that I make a mental note of that lol thanks guys and let us know if it rides better so I know for sure prob not gonna get mine till feb or later but just wanna know lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first place did a road force balance.....that is when they got the steering wheel shake fixed...but the rear end vobration/wheel hop sensation is still there.

This last place has the Hunter GSP9700 but said they can do something to show if it needs to be forced balanced or not....when they checked he said doing it would waste my money, but that each wheel was out of balance and that the prior places had done a static balcne which only places weights on one side while they do ( I think this is term he used) a dynamic balance which more accurately places the weights.

Bottom line....I still have the shimmy/vibration. My cheap little economy car is starting to cost me and my wife isn't too happy with the amount I have spent trying to get that vibration out....but I am very sensative to vibrations, rattle, etc. I know when they have gotten it right and this just doesn;t feel right.

I guess what is irritating is that each place claims the wheels are out of balance, sometimes by quite a bit and I had just had them balanced like 2 weeks ago before this last place did it.

I really wish I had not thrown the aftermarket wheels on so quick so I would have noticed if the car did this with the OE wheels.

I have printed off several pages about the Hunter balancer including some from a Tundra foprum where one of the guys there was part of the original group that developed it...said if the person knows how to use it that it is a fantastic machine, but the problem is so many shops are not trained on it enough...

So its back to Just Tires again to see what they recommend. I know with this being a small, light, inexpensive car that there will be some qualities that are not as good as a more expensive car, but I cannot believe that this is all in the suspension, as I do not see a lot of posts on the Accent where people complain about a jittery ride.....

·
Registered
810 Posts
This might sound like a stupid question, but have you put the original tires back on and seen if you still have it?

·
Registered
497 Posts
The only problem I ever had was bad steering wheel shake. That was corrected when I got new tires and re-balancing.

Other than that I really can't complain too much about the suspension. Its very soft and too much gets transmitted into the cabin, but I hope this can be corrected with coilovers next year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts