Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...I think i fell into the minority of MCs that have a broken timing belt...

So here's a little back story...

I had a parasitic battery drain...for a while...could be retrofits, could be LED tail light retrofit prototypes...or could be a bad alternator. In any sense...I used to disconnect my battery...to save on jumping everytime the car sits for over a day. Therefore, my battery terminal isnt 100% snug...

Ok...now here's the regular story...

While driving...from NYC...about 3hrs in...pulled over for a quick second...turned car off...got back in...car went tick...so went back out made sure i had a good connection to the terminals...got back inside...and it cranks but wouldnt turn over...kinda like a raspy type turn. Sat for a minute...well a while...and I dropped below the voltage needed to turn the car over.

Eventually I was able to get a state trooper...give me a push with his car...so I could pop the clutch...and in doing so...heard the weirdest noise ever...cant explain it...it sounded like a buzz+wizz noise combined...after 2x I threw in the towel since ive never heard that noise before.

Got a tow to a truck stop...So brainstorming...wtf...Ive heard: Starter, alternator, battery, timing belt. I wanted to know if its something simple...to have fixed on the road...or something serious where Ill have to get it towed back home.

Had a truck mechanic come over to look at it and he said 8/10...timing belt.

So I may be looking for a timing belt kit...or looking for a complete motor...or maybe a head. Wont know until I get the car back home...But..Im thinking I should have some bent valves...and all...so maybe a head...had to leave it in Pennsylvania for now (btw...any HF members in the Clearfield, PA area?)

I guess this will be a progress thread...on her recovery...Ive been debating on weather to do a same motor swap...or go a little further and swap a different motor in...but I guess it depends on how my funds are looking.

Depending on how things go I may buy a wrecked 06-11 accent and will be parting out everything that's not needed (Part out Thread
)

So...what does everyone think...timing belt...no belt valves...scratched heads...etc...

350 Posts
Too much brainstorming, not enough facts.

Given that you only need about 5 tools and 30 minutes to visually inspect the belt and test for leakdown, it's pretty pointless to speculate. Especially when you know you have electrical irregularities.

How many miles are on the belt, tensioner, idler?

I had to look up clearfield, that's a good 2hrs west of me.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
i agree. don't trust any mechanic that will try to diagnose without actually looking at the thing.

the timing belt is an easy one to check though, just pop the top cover off, take out the spark plugs and turn the engine with a socket wrench on the crank.you should be able to get a good visual inspection of the belt and fell the engine rotation for smoothness. if it sticks, don't force it. but do try to find out where it's seizing. with the plugs out you get to inspect those as well, plug condition can be a vital clue. oh and put the car in neutral for this test, we don't need to test the trans just right now.

its somewhere to start at least. as shirley stated, we need more info (ha called you shirley!)

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
You'll know if it's the timing belt by just taking the top belt cover off. It will be easily seen if it's broken. 2 - 10mm bolts.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well...I didnt have any tools at all...took out the box to make room for promo items...I did happen to have a socket in the car...but had a 9mm and 12mm...weird right...but I did had someone come out to take a look at it...and had the correct socket...belt looked ok...he started to turn the crank...but the belt wasnt moving...his diagnosis...timing belt and missing teeth....

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
That's a good possibility and actually more probable that the belt actually breaking.

Looking for a good Accent head is not going to be easy. And maybe the rods or pistons got damaged too? Better to be looking for another motor to drop in. Easier to do anyway.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah...thats why im thinking of getting a salvage accent...taking the motor out...and parting out the car to other members on here.

Like secretly...i didnt think ill be doing the same motor swap right now...I was thinking about a beta or something...but...funds...cause me to just go for stock...

But once I get myself home...then worry about getting the car later...maybe through a series of MCA/AAA tows...Im 350mis from where I could have the car comfortable at. Hopefully i can find one where you dont have to be with the car.

Anyway, Ill keep everyone posted on the status...and pics.

If I were to go for a salvage motor...what should I look out for...Im a GS/MT no ABS/Cruise should I get the exact same motor...or will getting like a 2011 spec motor with the latter included pose problems?:mellow:

That's a good possibility and actually more probable that the belt actually breaking.

Looking for a good Accent head is not going to be easy. And maybe the rods or pistons got damaged too? Better to be looking for another motor to drop in. Easier to do anyway.

350 Posts
How many miles were on the belt, tensioner & idler?

Also curious what gear you were in when you tried the push-start. I wonder if the acceleration was too much for the teeth on the belt. (I usually use 3rd gear for push-starts)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe like 60K
Had the car since 4mi and changed it somewhere around 50.
Im at 113K

How many miles were on the belt, tensioner & idler?

Also curious what gear you were in when you tried the push-start. I wonder if the acceleration was too much for the teeth on the belt. (I usually use 3rd gear for push-starts)

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
i think this needs to be confirmed before you start going out to buy parts. a socket set is a lot cheaper than a new motor. turning the engine like that alone is not conclusive proof.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
This is an interference motor right?

My 2008 says to change it at 50k I think. I changed the belt, tensioner and idler bearing at 40k and the idler bearing was throwing grease.

Changed the belt again at 90k and the bearings all looked good as did the belt.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i think this needs to be confirmed before you start going out to buy parts. a socket set is a lot cheaper than a new motor. turning the engine like that alone is not conclusive proof.
So far...took the three bolts off the top...looked at the belt...well at least the top part.

Top part of the belt looks fine, no missing teeth, and nice and tight...
working on trying to look at the bottom part...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts