Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Have got a 2000 Accent 4 door CDX.
Has beem brilliant up to now, but has just started making LOUD noises from the engine. Doesn't go away when I press the clutch, or put into gear, so I assume it must be engine. Sounds a bit like a loose timing chain. Is there one? Anybody got any ideas. Don't like to drive it as it is incase it all goes BANG!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Its actually a rubber belt rather than a chain. If something has gone off with the belt tension it can get pretty noisy. Adjusting the tension is a tricky job so not one recommended to try yourself.

In fact, just getting the timing cover off to get at the tensioner is quite an operation. About the same amount of work to replace the timing belt.

If its been more than about 80-90,000 kilometres since the belt was changed you may as well get a new one since the cost of labour to replace it is going to be more than the cost of the belt itself.

If it is the timing belt, (and its not possible to say for sure just on a written description) having it break on you will cost far more than getting it replaced now.

·
Registered
422 Posts
As a matter of fact there is a timing chain.
The motor in your Accent (alpha), is a dohc, now within the timing cover there is only one cam sprocket.

There is a chain connecting the two camshafts, on the opposite ends from the timing belt end.

What happens is the material that the chain guide is made out of is not quite up to the task of keeping tension on the chain.
Consequently , the guide wears out and the chain becomes noisy.
I have replaced about 20 - 30 of these at work.
Piss easy for me, but probably a very complex task to do if you have never carried out this type of repair before.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks Doc - I just looked up in Hyunda America's service manual and the DOHC didn't come out in North America in the accent until 2001 with a 1.6 litre, the 1.5 still ran on single cam - useful to know -

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:) Sorted.

After half an hour using a screwdriver as a stethoscope I tracked the noise down to the idler pulley, with the water pump behind.
Local garage say its not uncommon for the pump to go. BUT the engines only done 20k miles. Bit dissapointing.
However new pump (and belts whilst in there) and it all seems OK now. Could it have been overtight belts for alternator / power steering / Air con that overloaded the bearings?
Thanks for your responses.

Have also found source of workshop manual, on CD; www.workshopmanuals.co.uk. excellent next day sevice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Dr. Hundi@Oct 20 2004, 09:35 PM
Can you tell me what motor you have in that model over there?
Is it a 12 valve single overhead cam?
[snapback]1864[/snapback]​

I can't tell from the outside, what should I look for?

·
Registered
422 Posts
It will state it on the rocker cover, this is the cover that dresses up the cylinder head.
It will either say
1. SOHC 12 valve
2. DOHC 16 valve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts