Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Second post here.

My hyundai accent automatic 2007 1.4L is making grinding noise while using breaks to move from stationary position.

This happens if i move from P to D and also if i move from P to R and also if i move from R to D. I keep the breaks pressed for all of the above. Sound comes when pressing and when releasing the brakes.

Brakes work fine when driving, its just when they are pressed hard to stop or released from stop that you get this noise.

Is it normal or there is any inherent issue with the transmission/brakes ?

·
Registered
882 Posts
My car had grinding noise at low speed when breaking hard. It felt like putting a handful of sand on the break pads. Turned out to be wheel bearing

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,844 Posts
My rear drum brakes sometimes sound like they are grinding. I have found no issues or reasons for it.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Does it always do it or does it just do it say, in the morning or after it's been sitting a while. Mine occasionally grinds in the morning when it's damp and I attribute it to a light build up of rust on the rear drums.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
My hyundai accent automatic 2007 1.4L is making grinding noise while using breaks to move from stationary position.

Take tire off and look at the guide wear pin. Its a metal tab on the brake pad. If it touches the rotor time for new pads. The wear indicator is designed to make a grinding squeal noise when the pads on the front brakes get low. If your not sure of what part it is please feel free to watch my brake service videos by clicking on my signature. Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have exact same issue and I am guessing it's the breaks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
Hi Folks,

Second post here.

This happens if i move from P to D and also if i move from P to R and also if i move from R to D. I keep the breaks pressed for all of the above. Sound comes when pressing and when releasing the brakes.

Brakes work fine when driving, its just when they are pressed hard to stop or released from stop that you get this noise.

Is it normal or there is any inherent issue with the transmission/brakes ?

My rears do this when it's damp.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does it always do it or does it just do it say, in the morning or after it's been sitting a while. Mine occasionally grinds in the morning when it's damp and I attribute it to a light build up of rust on the rear drums.
It onlt does it during stationary position when moving away or during reverse...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
All day along

So every time you start the car and move from stop to forward or reverse it makes this noise, even if it's only been sitting a few minutes?

If that is the case, as someone else suggested you should have your brakes inspected, if you are experienced enough you can check out ikilledbarbie's videos, he has a very detailed video of how to service or replace your brakes. if not, definitely sounds like you should take it to your mechanic of choice and have them take a look at it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So every time you start the car and move from stop to forward or reverse it makes this noise, even if it's only been sitting a few minutes?

If that is the case, as someone else suggested you should have your brakes inspected, if you are experienced enough you can check out ikilledbarbie's videos, he has a very detailed video of how to service or replace your brakes. if not, definitely sounds like you should take it to your mechanic of choice and have them take a look at it.
Its a non-issue for automatic....looks like all automatics do this..its due to transmission trying to go forward/backward and relasing brakes slowly basically grinds them.... I am more used to it now and no more sounds.

Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts