Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My name is Florin, I`m 58 and live since 1981 in Venezuela. I`m teaching music (cello) and graphic design (photos retouch).
I`m the owner of an Accent GS, 1998, 1.5l, coupe, automatic transmission. The last 5 years I`ve been suffering with this automatic transmission`s failures. The car begun to fail when should enter the last automatic step (change), I mean it is working normally up to 60-70 Km/h making the 2 inicial velocity changes normally. Then (and it`s worth if the road is tilted up) a little stroke comes and it refuse to go further, it remains at 60-70 Km/h and if I`m accelerating it reechs 3000-3500 RPM but the velocity remains on 60 Km/h. It`s like "sliding" on the 4th automatic velocity, dos not "catch" it. It had a very bad couple of month, some 2 years ago, when even the first change didn`t worked but after 5-10 minutes riding at 10-15 Km/h it was catching the 2nd change, but never the 3rd last one! At least, in July 2009 I had a scanner diagnosis and it indicated a MAF failure. I bought and mounted the new MAF and it came back to normality. Seems not to have the full engine/transmission power, a little more slow, but not too much, it worked well without failures. I was happy.
Now, the last 2 weeks, the failure went back. The same thing with the last change. It works ok some 10 minutes, then fails to go above the 60 Km/h. If I use the breaks, if I stop to pass some hole on the way etc, I feel a small stroke into the transmission, then it changes but refuse to enter the last change.
I was reading in internet that I should have reset the ECU after the MAF sensor replacement because the whrong error code is valid and this is the cause of the persisting failure.
The problem now is that no scanner can connect with my ECU. I have a whole week visiting the garages here, we used all the old and new scanners and no one could connect. Show an error cod "Connection failure"...
So, I can`t reset the ECU, I do not know if eventually y have another failure (sensors, selenoid etc) and so I should replace another transmission part and the worth is that in 2 weeks our family is supposed to have vacations and I`m skared to travel with my car in this bad state.
I`ll apreciate all the comments and help.
My best regards,
Florin

·
Registered
139 Posts
ECU reset: Disconnect the car battery, then turn on lights/press the brake pedal to get rid of any other electricity in the system. Let it sit for about 1/2 hour. That should reset the ECU.

As for the transmission: These accent transmissions are known to be crappy. Unfortunately, they are mysterious and complicated and very few people like touching them and its hard to tell what the problem is without opening them. You can do simple things like check the level and change the transmission fluid, but I doubt anyone here would be knowledgeable enough to give you specific advice.

Even if the check engine light comes on, the car should still run fine for a while. If something major breaks, the car wouldn't work with or without a check engine light, so it doesn't make much of a difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for answer. I did several times this manual reset but it never works like the scanner resetting. Seems that the ECU "remember" and go back to the previous estate.
We opened for 2 oportunities the transmission last years. The 2nd time we canged the master kit, oil, filter, check the inside electrical parts etc but the failure still doing "its job". This is an electricity problem, no doubght. Before changing the MAF I had the "check engine" ligt on very often but this quit when this sensor was replaced with the new one. Worked fine for almost 1 year.
The angle which is bothering me now, after reading enough about the ECU behaviour via internet, is that seems it is programmed for "remembering" the settings and always try to return at the previous point, before the reset. A lot of people is doing the manual reset almost daily!! That`s bad.
Aniway, the problem I have now is that no scanner could connect with the ECU, all models new and old show the message "connection failure" and we can not enter and see if is about a new problem or just need t o be reseted.
Both engine and transmission are Mitsubishi. Does anyone know what are the Mitsubishi names (parts) for them?
Regards

·
Registered
139 Posts
QUOTE (Florin-S @ Aug 3 2010, 08:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346809
Both engine and transmission are Mitsubishi. Does anyone know what are the Mitsubishi names (parts) for them?
Regards
Really? Thats extremely surprising, as after 1994 they started using their own engines/transmissions. Are you 100% sure this is the case?

The MAP issue is related to the engine, and has nothing to do with the transmission. With that issue, the car will not run as efficiently, but that will not break it. However, transmission problems can show up as the check engine light. This is done though pin 10 of the TCM, and pin 61 of the ECU. Disconnecting this wire may help determine whether the issue is a transmission or engine problem.

If it is an electrical fault, it could be bad wires, a faulty switch, a faulty TCM or ECU, or many other things. It may take an extreme amount of debugging to figure it out, testing every single wire one at a time. If it is bad wires, this could explain the issue with the transmission codes not being read.

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (Florin-S @ Aug 3 2010, 08:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346809
the problem I have now is that no scanner could connect with the ECU[/i], all models new and old show the message "connection failure" and we can not enter and see if is about a new problem or just need to be reset.
Regards
If you are getting a connection failure on the OBD scanner have you checked to make sure the fuse for the OBD is good? Usually it is the same fuse as the lighter but I have not checked to see if this is the case in my Hyundai. If after verifying that the fuse is good you still get a connection error then something may be wrong with your ECM.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (sporgo @ Aug 7 2010, 09:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347875
If you are getting a connection failure on the OBD scanner have you checked to make sure the fuse for the OBD is good? Usually it is the same fuse as the lighter but I have not checked to see if this is the case in my Hyundai. If after verifying that the fuse is good you still get a connection error then something may be wrong with your ECM.
Sorry to answer so late, I`ve been moving from all garages these days. Finally we found 2 broken wires and a disconnection between some 2 mail/female connectors. Scanner worked finaly but does not show what's the 4th gear failure. I "Googled" a lot this day and found something interesting here:
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com...ai-accent-6.htm
"Trouble Spots
Consumer Guide's® Auto Editors have scoured repair bulletins and questioned mechanics to search for commonly occurring problems for a particular vehicle. In some cases we also give possible manufacturer-suggested solutions. In many instances these trouble spots are Technical Service Bulletins posted by the manufacturer, however, we have our own expert looking at additional vehicle problems.
Automatic transmission: Automatic transmission may flare between second and third or downshift poorly. There is a modified transmission-control module available. (1996-97)
Automatic transmission: If the transmission slips or will not go into fourth gear, the end clutch needs to be replaced. (1995-96)
Check-engine light: Check-engine light illumination on SOHC models might be caused by a problem with the transmission control module (TCM). Repair includes replacement if the TCM. (1996-98)
Hard starting: Hard starting may be due to a cracked in-tank fuel line. (1995-97)
Poor transmission shift: Harsh 4-3 downshifts when coming to a stop below 10 mph due to build problems with the original transmission. (1995-96)
Steering problems: The power-steering bracket may interfere with the coolant reservoir causing a buzzing noise or possible reservoir damage. A new bracket is available. (1995-97)
Transmission problems: If transmission sticks in 3rd, shifts poorly, or has harsh 1-2 shift, the pulse generator may need to be replaced. (1996-99)
"
What is the TCM? Where is it placed?
And the the pulse generator? Is it a sensor or something like this?

Automatic transmission: If the transmission slips or will not go into fourth gear (this is my case!!!), the end clutch needs to be replaced Where is this end clutch situated?
Sorry to ask this kind of questions but I do not know a lot about the technical details of my car.
I received from a nice person the transmission manual, in english, 157 pages. If somebody needs it please let me know for sharing.
Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The TCM is the Transmission control module and its location does not seem to be indicated on the HMA service website. I suspect it is located under the dash near the ECM but that is just a guess, it could just as easily be somewhere in the engine compartment. The pulse generator is located on the transmission. I think the pulse generator is located right next to the cover for the end clutch. The end clutch is located on the end of the transmission underneath a cover. It is underneath the battery box and the transmission mount on the drivers side of the vehicle.

This website has some good pictures of what your typical end clutch looks like:

http://www.mirage-performance.com/EclipseG.../endclutch.html

Obviously that is a Mitsubishi but it gives you an idea of what you are dealing with here. In order to order the parts you will need to get the part numbers. You can get them from a dealership or look them up in the Hyundai microcat. Changing the end clutch can be done without removing the transmission.

I am interested in that transmission manual and after reading through it I will be able to give you more help. I guess it is in ebook format right? Please email it to me if you could: [email protected]

This other thread from here has some good info:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t47353-p0734...ssion-issue.htm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Solved problem.
The failure was no electrical, it was inside the transmission, what they called "the overdrive" or the "end cloutch".

I was really lucky, I was travelling some 3 hours to another city here in Venezuela and I was guided to a private Hyundai garage. The owner is a young man who worked for some time with the Hyundai workshops and learned a lot there. Later he mounted his own workshop and has some more 4-5 guys working with him.
These guys are really some "beasts", know about the engines and transmissions as they can mount an engine or a transmission in 2 hours.
I had my diagnosis in less than 10 minutes and the transmission repaired in 1 hour, changed the overdrive plate, put the new metal and paste gears (disks?) etc. This cost me less than 200 US$.
He used a Hi Scan Pro scanner, running the car, seeing how bad was the last gear (the 3rd) an from the beginning he said that seemed to be an end cloutch problem. He was right. The paste and metal disks/gears inside were very age-worn.

Well, I'm happy now, have 2 days running and tasting the car and it works fine, Thanks God.

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.