Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I use my car for work and this has been impacting my life for the last two months.

In beginning of May 2020, i started to hear a clunking/scraping noise going over bumps and pot holes. Not all the time and usually when i’m going slow. The car also seems to hit bumps harder and rattle.

I took it to Hyundai dealership and they said it was the left strut mount. Waited two weeks for the part and they fixed it and told me they’re now hearing the right strut mount going. I waited another three weeks for the part and finally got the right strut mount fixed today. Dealership says the car is perfectly fine now….
On the way home the car is making the EXACT SAME NOISE. this is beyond frustrating as i don’t know if it’s safe to drive my car and I haven’t been able to fulfil my work duties.

Please does anyone have any idea what’s wrong? Clearly hyundai has no idea what the actual problem is since almost two months later it’s still making the same noise.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Don't know why they didn't do both sides at the same time. If one is rotted the other is close. Drive it. They ain't giving you a car back that is not safe. It's just having growing pains.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hey guys,

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I use my car for work and this has been impacting my life for the last two months.

In beginning of May 2020, i started to hear a clunking/scraping noise going over bumps and pot holes. Not all the time and usually when i’m going slow. The car also seems to hit bumps harder and rattle.

I took it to Hyundai dealership and they said it was the left strut mount. Waited two weeks for the part and they fixed it and told me they’re now hearing the right strut mount going. I waited another three weeks for the part and finally got the right strut mount fixed today. Dealership says the car is perfectly fine now….
On the way home the car is making the EXACT SAME NOISE. this is beyond frustrating as i don’t know if it’s safe to drive my car and I haven’t been able to fulfil my work duties.

Please does anyone have any idea what’s wrong? Clearly hyundai has no idea what the actual problem is since almost two months later it’s still making the same noise.
Same noise, but does the car feel the same? Could the noise be something bouncing around in the trunk? Did they also replace your struts? What car are you referring to?

·
Registered
2014 Hyundai Accent Hatchback
332 Posts
I remember on my dad's old 2009 Elantra Touring, we had the same problem in the front. I'm pretty sure it ended up being the sway bar end links. This is something most people can check. It's the tall bar going from the sway bar to a mount on the strut. If it pivots or rotates too much when you twist it, it means they're worn. It's worth a check since it's free, and if they are worn, it only is $50 to replace both sides. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't know why they didn't do both sides at the same time. If one is rotted the other is close. Drive it. They ain't giving you a car back that is not safe. It's just having growing pains.
Apparently they only heard the left strut mount and then when it was fixed they heard the right. Thanks for the reassurance, I guess that’s a liability for them eh?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I remember on my dad's old 2009 Elantra Touring, we had the same problem in the front. I'm pretty sure it ended up being the sway bar end links. This is something most people can check. It's the tall bar going from the sway bar to a mount on the strut. If it pivots or rotates too much when you twist it, it means they're worn. It's worth a check since it's free, and if they are worn, it only is $50 to replace both sides. I hope this helps!

Thank you so much for the response! I have actually suspected through googling and reading that it is the sway bar, but thought the garage would be able to pick that out. Hyundai is getting me in tomorrow morning, I wonder if it’s covered by warranty. Either way it’s cheap! Thank you so much for reassurance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same noise, but does the car feel the same? Could the noise be something bouncing around in the trunk? Did they also replace your struts? What car are you referring to?
[/QUOTE)

The car is a 2017 Hyundai accent with no damage and i’ve taken good care of it over the years. the car still feels a little unstable. Struts we’re both replaced . Nothing in the trunk, though the spare tire doesn’t always sit perfectly. I’m not sure how that would cause a scraping under the car though I’m very inexperienced with cars

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thank you so much for the response! I have actually suspected through googling and reading that it is the sway bar, but thought the garage would be able to pick that out. Hyundai is getting me in tomorrow morning, I wonder if it’s covered by warranty. Either way it’s cheap! Thank you so much for reassurance!
No worries! Hopefully this is the issue and it isn't something expensive!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Similar issue with my Tacoma, though it was 10+ years old at the time.
I thought it was something more series, but after the dealer showed me the bushings while on the lift I just replaced them myself.

I forgot about the bushings, good idea.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Similar issue with my Tacoma, though it was 10+ years old at the time.
I thought it was something more series, but after the dealer showed me the bushings while on the lift I just replaced them myself.

I forgot about the bushings, good idea.
It seems like it's just a normal maintenance item that breaks after 7-10 years. I was surprised at how many I sell at the parts store I work at!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts