Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Accent. My Accent has a tapping sound when the engine is cold. I have read on this site that others have had this problems and it was the chain tensioner. I was wondering if this was something Hyundia would fix for free or how much it cost to get this fixed. Is there a recall for this problem? There appears to be a problem with a chain tensioner on the 2010 model of Accent.

Thanks for your time in looking at this question.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hi Richard, there are numerous other threads on noises specifically top end noises with these cars. Briefly, if it's a light tap that clears within a minute or so of start up it's Hydraulic lash adjusters refilling after bleeding down overnight, completely normal. If it's persistent and heavy, the choices become more varied from wrong oil grade for climate temperature through to low quality oil filters, sludged up oil pump suction screens and actual jammed HLA's or damage/wear to cam components. Try and give us more details like Kilomiles on the car, services up to date and so on, also browse through the MC threads or try searching ' top end noise' and see if anything that comes up sounds like you. Cheers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got the same problem, only when it rain on start up for about 10 second then it's normal...(2008 Accent SE)

It's a medium knock for about 5-10 second

It just started doing that about 2 week ago only when it rain

"start up it's Hydraulic lash adjusters refilling after bleeding down overnight, "

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Richard, there are numerous other threads on noises specifically top end noises with these cars. Briefly, if it's a light tap that clears within a minute or so of start up it's Hydraulic lash adjusters refilling after bleeding down overnight, completely normal. If it's persistent and heavy, the choices become more varied from wrong oil grade for climate temperature through to low quality oil filters, sludged up oil pump suction screens and actual jammed HLA's or damage/wear to cam components. Try and give us more details like Kilomiles on the car, services up to date and so on, also browse through the MC threads or try searching ' top end noise' and see if anything that comes up sounds like you. Cheers.
This only happens when the engine is cold. So it is usually in the morning. It stops when the engine warm up. I have an appointment with a Hyundai dealer next Monday. They said that this model does not have a chain tensioner. I will investigate more on that. This is a 2010 Hyundai Accent. I have 80K miles on it. I will check the oil, but I run synthetic in it and have never been low. I have always changed the oil often. Some have told me that it could be some hydraulic valve, but I question that. Is there any additional information I can get for you. It is a tapping sound when the engine is cold. Just a note: if it is a valve, I will be extremely unhappy, I had a Mazda GLC and got over 200K on that car without any engine problems.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
There is no chain tensioner as the engine uses a timing belt. At 80k miles you need to get it changed and a new belt tensioner, maybe an idler pulley too.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
there's a chain tensioner on the opposite end of the belt driven cam, the chain drives the other camshaft.

Richard the other thread you read about the chain tensioner was 1 person. And if I remember correctly, replacing it did not solve his problem. To be honest he was a smart guy but I think he was worrying way too much about the noise he was hearing, he was trying to get Hyundai to either put it in writing that the noise was "normal" or to replace his engine for him. He has since gotten rid of his Accent and moved on to another car.

I am with the others the tapping when cold sound is likely your hydraulic lash adjusters ticking until they get oiled up again.

Other makes do this too (specifically mazdas) as the engines get older. my miata did it every morning. my MPV does it occasionally. At least in the miata world it is generally regarded as normal as long as it goes away after a couple minutes, and if the ticking gets excessive it might be time for an oil change.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i have the same sound
when i start it moring (cold ) when it worm the sound go
and hear it again at the end of my daily trip (engin is hot)

i thought that from using oil shell 15w-50
now i use 5w-40 liqui moly and hydraulic lifter additive ( 500 km till now )
and the sound still there

that sound annoyed me

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
That is obvious and I assume it had been done. Still I don't think a weak tensioner on such a short chain would be making noise. The chain would have to be stretch so far it would be slapping on something. There just isn't enough length to stretch that much like a timing chain.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Another source of a tapping/chuckling type noise is the camshaft timing actuator, this is a rotary actuator on the end of the camshaft which alters the relative position of one camshaft relative to the other. If it's worn and leaks down it can let the camshaft 'rattle' back and forwards slightly. This one is normally loudest just off idle on gentle acceleration as the camshaft is indexing from one position to another. Just a thought.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I have a 2010 Accent. My Accent has a tapping sound when the engine is cold. I have read on this site that others have had this problems and it was the chain tensioner. I was wondering if this was something Hyundia would fix for free or how much it cost to get this fixed. Is there a recall for this problem? There appears to be a problem with a chain tensioner on the 2010 model of Accent.

Thanks for your time in looking at this question.
What oil filter are you using? I had more noise with a Purolator vs the OEM.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
That is obvious and I assume it had been done.
assume makes and ass out of u and me. most people don't know enough to do this. most mechanic's don't even bother. i doubt its the chain tensioner as well, but you can't say that for sure and neither can i.

but then again, if someone had bothered to use a stethoscope we'd already know where the noise is coming from. likely the hydraulic lifters as is common with this engine - but i don't know that yet.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I buy OEM ones off ebay now. Cheaper by the dozen and they come with the aluminum washer too.

Technical Service Bulletin
12-EM-006
DATE SEPTEMBER 2012
ALL MODELS

USE OF AFTERMARKET ENGINE OIL FILTERS CAUSING ENGINE KNOCKING NOISE

This bulletin supersedes TSB 05-20-002.

Description:

Some vehicles may experience an engine knock noise with the use of an aftermarket oil filter. Aftermarket oil filters may use different materials, construction and specifications than genuine Hyundai oil filters, which may lead to pressure variations within the engine, thus contributing to an engine knocking noise.

Vehicles Affected:
All Models

Repair Procedure:
Perform an oil change on the vehicle and replace the aftermarket oil filter with a genuine Hyundai oil filter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts