Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my hyundai accent 2005,have problem of jerks /die speed after engine get warm,also increase if AC on,when i starts car in morning it works great and no problem but after 3 or 5 km as engine get hotter speed kills,but it happens more or worst in evening at 4 when returning from office and temp is 45+ in riyadh ,saudiarabia.I change air filter , fuel filter ,spark plugs ,spark cables, also use fuel injector cleaner but still problem remains ,i want to tell you its start when i changed engine valve cover gasket due to oil leak,as i changed this problem suddenly appeared ,i went to other mechanic but he told me the problem not in valve cover gasket,it is somewhere else he clean my throtle body ,and its works for 2 day only that i felt the problem solved but after two days problem appeared again,there is no engine light power on for any electronic mal functioning,
i tried every thing can anybody know this problem,will be appreciated alot,its really sucks....:confused:

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
On the contrary, when the PCM senses no signal from the TPS, it goes to default values. If the TPS is the problem, the engine will smooth right out. The only problem is you can't accelerate quickly.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i will try this today at evening to unplug TPS,i already try unplug MAP/IAT no change,yesterday i clean Throtle body again 3rd time but deeply,some carbon there ,so its look better in today morning,but i want to check it in evening today at 4 when temp high near 45+.

Thanks Buddy

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried to unplug TPS but nothing happend,still jerks and poor performance like engine is fuel starving.... ???
not smooth drive :(

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
so you cleaned the TB again...how long between cleanings? how much buildup was there? any wetness (ie. oil)?

i'm wondering if this car is running rich. what do the plugs look like? they're new so they should be fairly clean.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so you cleaned the TB again...how long between cleanings? how much buildup was there? any wetness (ie. oil)?

i'm wondering if this car is running rich. what do the plugs look like? they're new so they should be fairly clean.
i clean TB again after 2 weeks , no carbon build up / oil, i thought to clean deeply will solved this problem.but no change..
i saw on youtube about maf sensor symptom,that the needle go back from 1 to 0 with engine little bit knocking at the same moment,and same happened to me when i power on AC , my needle aslo go back,but remember its only when engine getting warm.not at cold start.
i have map/iat near intake manifold.
can map/iat sensor also need cleaning???? , i dont know it can be clean or not.

i am new in solving own car problems after looting by many mechanic and spending precious time ,exhausted really.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
we all start somewhere:) a year or two and you'll be glad you started learning. just because you're starting, here's a couple tips:

- never replace parts because you think it may be that. its a good way to waste your time and money and not solve the problem. diagnose by checking parts and testing. take your problem and consider all possible causes, then eliminate logically. test what is left.

- torque wrenches are key to maintaining properly and for safety.

- use anti-seize on every bolt/screw possible. you'll save yourself a lot of headache down the road by avoiding breaking bolts. shops don't use it because it costs money (although not much) and they don't really care.

onto the problem....you're on the right track for the MAF sensor. or MAP actually in the 1.6L which you should have in a 2005. if you have a 1.5L SOHC please let us know! its still possible!

i think a good place to start is by checking engine compression to ensure its in good health. eliminate that possible issue.

since you don't have access to hmaservice.com, i'll do my best here. these are taken from trouble codes. i highly recommend checking with a scantool to verify that there are no codes. even with the check engine light off, they may still be stored in the ECU or you could have a dead light.

this is for testing the MAP. if its loaded up with carbon or other such crap, well i think you can figure that one out!

1.Many malfunctions in the electrical system are caused by poor harness and terminals. Faults can also be caused by interference from other electrical systems, and mechanical or chemical damage.
2.Thoroughly check connectors for looseness, poor connection, bending, corrosion, contamination,deterioration, or damage.
3.Has a problem been found?
YES
1)Repair as necessary and go to "Verification of vehicle Repair" procedure.
NO
1)Go to "Monitor Scantool data TPS" procedure.
Power Supply Circuit Inspection1.Ignition "OFF"
2.Disconnect MAP sensor connector.
3.Ignition "ON" & Engine "OFF"
4.Measure voltage between terminal 2 of sensor harness connector and chassis ground.
A.Specification : approximately 5V

5.Is measure voltage within Specification?
YES
1)Go to "Signal circuit inspection" procedure.
NO
1)Open circuit or short circuit to chassis ground between MAP harness connector and reference voltage.
Open circuit or short circuit to chassis ground between MAP harness connector and ECM connector.
Repair as necessary and then go to "Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure.

In case,when MAP connector is disconnected,the voltage of MAP terminal 2 is 0 V.
▶ Possible cause: Open or short between terminal 33 of PCM and Terminal 2 of MAP.
Signal Circuit Inspection1.Ignition "OFF"
4.Measure voltage between terminal 1 of sensor harness connector and chassis ground.
A.Specification : approximately 5V

5.Is measure voltage within Specification?
YES
1)Go to "Ground circuit inspection" procedure.
NO
1)Open circuit or short circuit to chassis ground between MAP harness connector and signal .
Open circuit between MAP harness connector and ECM harness connector.

In case,when MAP connector is disconnected,the voltage of MAP terminal 1 is 0 V.
▶ Possible cause: Open or short between terminal 16 of PCM and Terminal 1 of MAP.
Ground Circuit inspection1.Ignition "OFF"
4.Measure voltage or resistance between terminal 4 of sensor harness connector and chassis ground.
A.Specification : below 0.5V or below 1

5.Is measure voltage or resistance within Specification?
YES
1)Go to "Component Inspection" procedure.
NO
1)Open circuit between MAP harness connector and ECM harness connector.

In case,when MAP connector is disconnected,the resistance of MAP terminal 4 is infinite.
▶Possible cause: Open or short between terminal 36 of PCM and Terminal 4 of MAP.
Monitor DTC Status1.Connect scantool to Data Link Connector(DLC).
2.Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature.
3.Monitor the "map sensor signal" parameter on the scantool.

The data shown above is only for reference and there may be a little difference actually.
It is normal that the output of MAP sensor changes in accordance with TPS angle.
4.Is parameter displayed within specifications?
YES
1)Fault is intermittent caused by poor contact in the sensor’s and/or PCM’s connector or was repaired and PCM memory was not cleared.
Thoroughly check connectors for looseness, poor connection, bending, corrosion,contamination,deterioration, or damage. Repair or replace as necessary and then go to "Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure.
NO
1)Go to "W/Harness Inspection" procedure.
Monitor Scantool Data1.Connect scantool to Data Link Connector(DLC).
2.Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature.
3.Monitor the "TPS" parameter on the scantool.
A.Specification : idle : 0.3~0.9V, full : 4.0~4.4V

4.Is voltege signal increase?
YES
1)Go to "power Circuit inspection" procedure.
NO
1)Temporarily install a known good TPS and check for proper operation.
If problem is corrected, replace TPS.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
this next chunk is for the IAT

Terminal and Connector Inspection1.Many malfunctions in the electrical system are caused by poor harness and terminals. Faults can also be caused by interference from other electrical systems, and mechanical or chemical damage.
2.Thoroughly check connectors for looseness, poor connection, bending, corrosion, contamination,deterioration, or damage.
3.Has a problem been found?
YES
1)Repair as necessary and go to "Verification of vehicle Repair" procedure.
NO
1)Go to ""Signal circuit inspection" procedure.
Signal Circuit Inspection1.Check for open in harness
(1)Ignition "OFF"
(2)Disconnect IAT sensor connector.
(3)Ignition "ON" & Engine "OFF"
(4)Measure voltage between terminal 3 of sensor harness connector and chassis ground.
A.Specification : approximately 5V.

(5)Is measure voltage within Specification?
YES
1)Go to "Check for short to power in harness " as below.
NO
1)In case over 5V : Short circuit to battery between IATS harness connector and PCM harness connector.
In case 0V : Open or short circuit between IATS harness connector and PCM harness connector.

1.In case,when IATS connector is disconnected,the voltage of IATS terminal 3 is 0 V.
▶ Possible cause: Open or short between terminal 42 of PCM and Terminal 3 of IATS.
2.Check for short to power in harness
(1)Ignition "OFF"
(2)Disconnect IAT sensor connector and ECM connector.
(4)Measure resistance between terminal 2 and 3 of sensor harness connector.
A.Specification : infinite

(5)Is measure resistance within Specification?
YES
1)Go to "Check for short to ground in harness" as below.
NO
1)Short circuit between MAP sensor power circuit and IATS signal circuit.
3.Check for short to ground in harness
(1)Ignition "OFF"
(2)Disconnect IAT sensor connector and ECM connector.
(4)Measure resistance between terminal 4 of sensor harness connector and chassis ground.
(5)Measure resistance between terminal 3 and 4 of sensor harness connector
A.Specification : infinite

(6)Is measure resistance within Specification?
YES
1)Go to "Ground Circuit Inspection" procedure.
NO
1)Short circuit between IATS signal circuit and ground circuit.
Short chassis ground between IATS harness connector and PCM harness connector.
Ground Circuit inspection1.Ignition "OFF"
2.Disconnect IAT sensor connector.
4.Measure voltage or resistance between terminal 4 of sensor harness connector and chassis ground.
A.Specification : below 0.5V or below 1Ω

5.Is measure voltage or resistance within Specification?
YES
1)Go to "Component Inspection" procedure.
NO
1)Open circuit between IATS harness connector and PCM harness connector.
Open circuit between PCM harness connector and chassis ground.

In case,when checking open ground circuit,the resistence is infinite.
▶ Possible cause: Open or short between terminal 36 of PCM and Terminal 4 of IATS.

understand that you will not be able to do everything here. just do what you can and see what happens.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Loads of Thanks Zero_Gravity , i will purchase some equipments for testing,but here in riyadh mechanics are rear who have electronic equipments,think about it i never find any where throtle body cleaner :p even biggest hardware store here is SACO, if i go to hyundai they charge too much and they said by themselves this, i asked them for changing AC compressor they cost me by hyundai 1800 $ equivalent .
i want to ask one of my observation when i went to one mechanic who change my valve cover gasket ,he check the sparking from spark plug cables when the engine starts, he took out one by one each cable,each cable giving spark on engine metal body,but two cables gave high spark sound and two cables gave low spark and sound as compared to other two,is it related to sensor?? because mechanic said we need to clean sensor from petrol(normal practice here to clean every thing through gas) :p
but he didnt do anything because he told me the technician who will do this not come today so i returned back,
what do you think about this why it is happen or is it normal that two of cables give more spark and two low spark?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
anybody here to tell me about above sparking description????????????????

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
that would indicate a faulty coilpack as they are built in pairs. ie. one coilpack powers 2 plugs. i would not be too concerned if two gave a bright spark and the other gave a little bit less bright. as long as the spark fires, its going to ignite fuel.

if its really getting dim, yeah i'd replace the thing. very easy job. even if its not gone yet, i would see this as an indication that its starting to go that way.

some parts stores here will test parts like coils, alternators, batteries, starters, etc. if you bring them in. not sure if that is available to you? the store would need an electrical test bench...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Zero_gravity I changed the Coil plug and one hose going into intake manifold was little broken,so i fixed them,and the problem solved.Thanks Again Buddy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts