Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum. Hope I posted this in the correct place.

So here is my problem. I have had my Hyundai Accent 1997 model for the past 4 years, it is quite old with almost 400 000 kms on it. So it had driven a lot. But im proud of the car as the only thing i have had to do with it in the past 4 year I have owned it, was replace the water pump last year. Other than that, its as tight as a drum and still drives good!!

But recently I have had problems with starting it. Couple of months ago, once in a while (like once a week) it woudnt start. I deactivate the anti-hijack and when i try to start it, the engine would click but not start. Then after a few minutes (like 5 or so), I would try again and it would start. But since about 2 weeks ago, it refuses to start when I turn the key (when I turn the key, i hear a click, but no start/turning). The only way it would start, is if I put it into gear (while off) and then push it a bit till the gear would turn, then when I climb back in and start, it would start. But this means everytime i want to drive somewhere, I must push it a bit while in gear (like a meter or so), then i climb in and start it, simple. But having to do that everytime i want to start my car is slightly irritating.... PLEASE HELP!!! I doubt its mechanical, but i could be wrong.

So all in all, to start my Hyundai, i have to push it about a meter while in gear, then turn the key to start it.

If anything is unclear, please ask!!!

Hope I can get help from you gents.

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a thought, I wonder if its something to do about the anti-hijack system or cars computer. Not sure if its mechanical or the alternator, but my battery charges fine and once it goes, there is never a problem while driving. (but yet again, I'm no car expert and I might be wrong)

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
from what you describe it sounds very much like a sticking starter motor/solenoid............you need to replace the starter motor

·
Registered
178 Posts
First thing to check is your battery. If you hear a click but not turning over and the car starts and runs when push starting, then the alternator is at least putting out enough juice for the electrical system. I would check out the battery first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear what you guys are saying, but then why does it start after i push it like a meter forward while in gear?? Does pushing it in gear a bit affect the starter?? ( FYI, i dont push start it, i push it one meter while in gear, stop, then climb back in and it starts)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Oh ... misunderstood. I thought you were push starting the car. The only thing I can think of is when pushing forward in gear is that it rotates the flywheel which the starter motor engages when starting. After pushing forward, does it turn over "normally" or does it sound like it is cranking slower than normal? It could still be an issue with a weak starter/battery combination where pushing forward overcomes some initial friction in all the moving parts that the starter can then handle - but I would expect it to crank slower than normal in this case. Could also be some sort of starter to flywheel issue that changes geometry twhen pushing in gear. - this is purely imaginative thinking on my part and maybe way out to lunch.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
it sounds like the starter motor. your actions pushing the car should not affect the starter motor, although strange....when the starter motor first turns the turning gear that meshes with the flywheel (and then engine) isn't in contact with the ring gear of the flywheel initially. the centripetal force of the starter motor turning forces the driving gear of the starter motor up the shaft its on and then it makes contact with the flywheel. this prevents it turning needlessly when the engine is running, it simply falls back down on a spring. also prevents electrical feedback.

only exception could be if that spring is failing or the driving gear is sticking on the shaft...in combination with the starter not wanting to turn.

my advice is to pop that starter out. its had a great run. not sure what you have available in south africa, are there any shops that can load test it for you? if you want to go trashy you can always right up a test right to battery....if you know how to do so safely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts