Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Hyundai Elantra; 95,000 miles; Automatic Transmission:

When accelerating from a stop or any other speed, intermittently, the acceleration will increase to the highest point (in relation to the gas peddle) and stay there, even when I back off the peddle. The speed and RPM’s will not change until I apply the brakes and then the RPM’s fight me all the way until I stop, at which time (at least most of the time) it returns back to idle. This occurs intermittently in all types of weather, hot, cold, wet or freezing. I have tried pulling up on the accelerator peddle and it doesn’t move and has no effect at all (no where near the carpet).

I have removed the cable and found it to be free and moves easily. I have cleaned the throttle body inlet and that seemed to help for a while but its back again after only 400 miles. There are times it works just like new with no problems, but just when you think it will not happen again…its back. Like I said it is very intermittent, can happen at the stop light at 15mph or on the highway doing 55+. Almost like automatic cruse control with out the off switch. I’ve looked for Hyundai TSB’s but can’t seem to find any online, any help will be appreciated much.

·
Registered
46 Posts
With the trans in neutral and parking brake on:
Open the hood, and test the acceleration as you describe it: Have someone do it for you while you look, or record a video of the throttle as its lever moves clockwise. Make sure the return spring isn't damaged, or the cable is binding somewhere.

If all okay, look then at the idle speed controller. In this car, in addition of controlling air intake flow while in idle, ISC also offsets air flow while in motion.

MV

1 - 2 of 2 Posts