Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those using the Torque app you may have noticed that when you fully depress the accelerator pedal the throttle % won't pass from 74.5. Also if you remove the intake hose to see the throttle valve you will notice that is not completely open when the gas pedal is floored.

When I read this thread http://www.hyundai-forums.com/233-rb-2012-accent/164583-those-using-torque-app.html someone posted that it may be limited by the gas pedal so my curiosity made me make some tests. :D

Tools needed:
1. 12mm socket and ratchet
2. A dremmel with a grinding stone like this one https://www.dropbox.com/s/w4b4fdkdbpdg2g4/20130803_141602.jpg (you can use something similar)

First I removed the accelerator pedal using a 12mm socket to remove two nuts that hold the part in place and disconnected the electrical connection. The plug has a red tab that you have to pull out and it disconnects.

You can see that here https://www.dropbox.com/s/0u5y27klnsnj26e/13 - 1.png

I partly disassembled the pedal and it looks like this https://www.dropbox.com/s/2po8hktdzmb1zcj/20130803_110558.jpg
But you don't have to open it and I recommend not doing it. If you mess with that then you will have to calibrate the accelerator pedal, is not difficult to do it but takes some time.

What I did was grind the part of the pedal that limits the travel with the grinding stone. This was how the pedal looked stock https://www.dropbox.com/s/8yi6hk9rnzviic0/20130803_111713.jpg . And after carefully grinding it to make it flat https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdguubydpc39goj/20130803_123315.jpg

I noticed that there is a limit on the opening %, it is 83.9. I grinded more but it wont pass that number. This is the Torque app screenshot https://www.dropbox.com/s/f9l6xpm2holrj51/Screenshot_2013-08-03-12-44-59.png

Installation is reverse as removal. I didn't disconnect the battery cable but is recommended to do every time you work on the electrical stuff of the car.

So for those that had the curiosity of why the throttle wasn't opening more this is one of the reasons.

As for performance I haven't fully tested the car but for now I don't feel any difference other than the pedal going further down. I will do now a semi long trip on the highway and I will let you know if I feel more power. lol :laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just download Torque a couple days agos, and I noticed too that the throttle won't open anymore then your new number, 83%.

I'm curious about doing this mod to see if I can reach more than that.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I noticed that there is a limit on the opening %, it is 83.9. I grinded more but it wont pass that number. This is the Torque app screenshot https://www.dropbox.com/s/f9l6xpm2ho...3-12-44-59.png
Interesting. I would daresay that there is a limit within either the throttle body (physical limiter) or the ECU software that does not allow full 100% opening. It may even be detrimental to do so: it could be that Hyundai discovered that with the mechanism they use that a "full open" situation possibly hangs up, and therefore they limit it both in the pedal and the throttle body.

Be careful if you attempt a similar "surgery" on the throttle body itself. This mod on the pedal is probably completely harmless (other than the slight weakening of the throttle pedal-arm and small risk of breaking it under a heavy foot), but I would exercise caution on a part that is critical to the operation of the vehicle, yet you have absolutely zero direct control over.

To those mimicking this mod - I would be more inclined to whittle-away a bit of the throttle stop, if there is nothing "critical" beneath it, rather than the pedal-arm.

Happy Grinding....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Interesting. I would daresay that there is a limit within either the throttle body (physical limiter) or the ECU software that does not allow full 100% opening. It may even be detrimental to do so: it could be that Hyundai discovered that with the mechanism they use that a "full open" situation possibly hangs up, and therefore they limit it both in the pedal and the throttle body.

Be careful if you attempt a similar "surgery" on the throttle body itself. This mod on the pedal is probably completely harmless (other than the slight weakening of the throttle pedal-arm and small risk of breaking it under a heavy foot), but I would exercise caution on a part that is critical to the operation of the vehicle, yet you have absolutely zero direct control over.

To those mimicking this mod - I would be more inclined to whittle-away a bit of the throttle stop, if there is nothing "critical" beneath it, rather than the pedal-arm.

Happy Grinding....
Yeah I'm going to grind down the stop at the back instead of the pedal. After you test it to see if it changed anything

·
Registered
81 Posts

Happy Grinding....
what I was thinking. then if it creates any issues, it would be a easy fix to add the thickness back.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Interesting. I would daresay that there is a limit within either the throttle body (physical limiter) or the ECU software that does not allow full 100% opening. It may even be detrimental to do so: it could be that Hyundai discovered that with the mechanism they use that a "full open" situation possibly hangs up, and therefore they limit it both in the pedal and the throttle body....
Or, and this is pure speculation on my part, Hyundai may have found that there is no increase in performance with a larger opening because of limits in the existing fuel/air delivery (pump, injectors, intake port size, etc). Be interesting to see if the Veloster Turbo has the same range.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My biggest concern with this mod is safety. I'm thinking of what happened with the toyota issues they had with their accelerators. Not sure I want venture into this mod without talking to a Hyundai tech first or a knowledgable mechanic. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
660 Posts
My biggest concern with this mod is safety. I'm thinking of what happened with the toyota issues they had with their accelerators. Not sure I want venture into this mod without talking to a Hyundai tech first or a knowledgable mechanic. Just my thoughts.
A Hyundai tech is going to tell you not to do it. But a Hyundai tech is going to tell you not to do just about any mod to the car, so that isn't a good way to look at it. This should only be done by someone who understands the mechanics behind it. Obviously grinding down a stop isn't going to make the pedal stick though, so this is a relatively safe modification unless you accidentally break something else while you are down there... And in that case, you'd realize it right away because your throttle wouldn't work correctly! ^_^

Now, I'd love to see a before/after dyno of this mod to see if opening the throttle body that much more actually does anything for the engine. That's a pretty expensive undertaking though, so I don't expect anyone to go out and do that unless they have access to their own shop or something.

·
Registered
599 Posts
And that was why I was advocating caution if/when anyone decides to crack-open the throttle-body.

This particular pedal-mod, I cannot see a failure-mode aside from possibly breaking the pedal-arm if you weaken it by trimming too-far, which is why I suggested taking material from the stop. Even taken from the pedal-arm, it still appears strong enough for continued use without breakage, but why risk it?

OR, one could contact Seolful Racing or Bloodtype: Racing, see if the modifications they now have for the Veloster N/A could be applied to the Accent....

(I believe they recalibrate the pedal and throttle range(s) with their tuning, rendering this mod moot.)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I did this on mine sunday.....

no change in throttle opening. even reset the computer just incase it needed to relearn. nada,nothing :dry:

it is the ecu limiting the throttle opening. this is what I thought, but was worth a try. will add back the 1/4ish material back since it changed nothing for throttlebody opening. will use epoxy or simply glue some hard rubber to make the pedal travel the same as before

·
Registered
660 Posts

no change in throttle opening. even reset the computer just incase it needed to relearn. nada,nothing :dry:

it is the ecu limiting the throttle opening. this is what I thought, but was worth a try. will add back the 1/4ish material back since it changed nothing for throttlebody opening. will use epoxy or simply glue some hard rubber to make the pedal travel the same as before
Lame. Hopefully the ECU tuning can fix this then though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

That is too bad. Mine opened more but I could not notice any difference in performance. Probably that 9% more opening does not have any impact on performance.

Well, it was worth the try. The good thing is that now we know the accelerator pedal is not the cause for not having a 100% throttle opening.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
someone has to blaze a trail :D

and I verified the tb did not open anymore the it did before. so maybe the ecu programing that seolful and others are coming out w/ will fix this.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Whatever you do, do not let the sensors get dirty or touch them or else it will affect the performance of the car.

Sometimes I wish cars were still driven by cable than wire...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts