Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(

I bought my accent 3 month ago. It is accent GL with comfortable package in it. Last week I got a problem, after I started the car, the can runs at 20km/hour, no matter how hard I press the gas, the can can't runs over 30km/hour.

I have to go to work everyday on Highway, with a car only runs 25km/hour, I could not get to work. And this is only third month of the car and odometer is JUST 6000km.

I went to the dealer 3 times, everytime after I got there, the car was running OK. So basicly sometime the car is OK, sometime it is slower than a bike.

The tech. in dealer told me if they can't duplicate the problem, they can't to anything for me.

Would someone please give me some advices on it? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you are having a problem this severe the dealer should be doing everything they can to fix it.

I've had different levels of service from different dealers. One does everything they can to help and the other doesn't. Unfortunately the better dealer is a long way off.

Try arranging to leave your car with the dealer overnight so they can try it out before the car warms up.

Be sure they supply you with a loaner - this is Hyundai's problem not yours!

If you have the option, take the car to another dealer. Also, if you are not getting the kind of warrnty service you paid for, call Hyundai Canada - the dealer can provide you with the number

Persist!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your help.

I have called Hyundai canada, they suggest me to ask the dealer to run a scan test for my car. So I will arrange that teat with the dealer.

Yes, I would find another dealer in town to try their service. I wonder why the dealer did not offer us the test at the first place.

Thanks again.

Any suggestions about how to solve the problem by ourselves?

·
Registered
329 Posts
There probabaly isn't a lot you can do yourself. These new cars have electronic sensors and on-board computers that you need special equipment just to diagnose the problem.

Even then, with an intermittent problem it can be hard to track down the exact cause. - a long way from the days when you could do your own tune-up with a socket wrench, a screwdriver and a set of feeler guages!

The advantage is that you get a very efficient vehicle that puts out quite a lot of power for its engine size. The down side is that there is very little the average owner can do if something goes wrong. All in all though, the Hyundai has proven to be a very reliable vehicle so hopefully once this gets fixed you'll be back to the joys of having a brand new car.

I've seen a recommendation to disconnect a battery cable in order to reset all the sensors to their factory settings. I would not suggest doing this because it also erases some of the data that will be useful for the scan.

Some things that will help the service department is for you to note everything that happens:

When you start the car in the morning does it run fast for a few seconds and then settle down right away or does the engine continue to race?

Do you notice rough shifting when you first start off - like a loud clunk the first time the automatic shifts into second or third?

Does anyone else drive the car? If so does it seem to run differently after another diver has used it? - This may seem like a weird question but Hyundais have a kind of short term memory that adapts to the individual driver's habits. When a driver changes its supposed to adapt unless something is wrong with the system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for your useful suggestion. Well, if they find out the problem in the test, that would be the best situation; if they don't, I think I am going to disconnect the battery after the dealer done the scan test.

Originally posted by gordo+Sep 27 2004, 12:10 PM-->
I've seen a recommendation to disconnect a battery cable in order to reset all the sensors to their factory settings. I would not suggest doing this because it also erases some of the data that will be useful for the scan.

[snapback]1340[/snapback]​
Actually, the problem is pretty simple, once the car is OK, everything just remains sooooo smooth without any noise. When the problem is there, there is still no weird noise, but the car can't run over 30km/hour. I tried to press the gas really hard that the engine reached 4000 rpm, still, under 30km/hour. Oh, that's really weird.

Originally posted by [email protected] 27 2004, 12:10 PM

Some things that will help the service department is for you to note everything that happens:

When you start the car in the morning does it run fast for a few seconds and then settle down right away or does the engine continue to race?

Do you notice rough shifting when you first start off - like a loud clunk the first time the automatic shifts into second or third?

2 people drive this car. However, the first time when the problem arised, 1 person drove the car for a few days already without any other drivers and the problem was occured.

<!--QuoteBegin-gordo
@Sep 27 2004, 12:10 PM

Does anyone else drive the car? If so does it seem to run differently after another diver has used it? - This may seem like a weird question but Hyundais have a kind of short term memory that adapts to the individual driver's habits. When a driver changes its supposed to adapt unless something is wrong with the system.

Thank you again for all the info you gave me. It looks like we can't solve the problem without the dealer's help. Sign. It is really time consuming to come down to dealer everytime when the problem is there and after a while (usually a min. before we get to the dealer's location), the problem disappeared.

I guess I will try the battery solution.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a suggestion that you might not have tried:-

When you have taken the car to the dealer with the problem occuring - have you taken THEM out for a drive in your car to demonstrate the problem - there is a chance that you might be driving the car wrong (resting your foot on the brake pedal for instance) - the engineers should be able to spot if you are doing anything wrong, or at least see what the problem is if it's not your fault. The only problem is that the car has to have the problem when you take them out for a drive.

If you take them out - drive as if they are not in the car, otherwise you may drive differently and the problem may not occur - wasting their and your time. A lot of people drive differently when someone else is in the car compared to when driving alone.

Hope you get the problem fixed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts