Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Elantra GT GLS (Manual)
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I need help regarding a problem I have with my car.
I have bought a used Elantra GT 2018 (Nu engine 2.0L) Manual Transmission about 2 months ago. When I drive with partial throttle it accelerates fairly for that particular throttle, but when I need more acceleration and push full throttle I get less acceleration with marked worsening in Instant Fuel Economy with loud exhaust noise.

Partial throttle (given certain gear and RPM):
  • Fair acceleration
  • Normal exhaust noise
  • Fair instant fuel economy

Full throttle (given the same gear and RPM):
  • Less acceleration
  • Loud exhaust noise
  • Markedly worse instant fuel economy

What could cause this problem? How can I investigate this?

PS: I have no access to any authorized Hyundai service where I live, so I'll have to diagnose this issue on my own.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Iy may have a blocked exhaust. At 2018 model It's not common but not impossible. You can check with a vacuum/boost gauge or remove the O2 sensor (safety) and see if it regains some of the power.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Need more info like, what speed and gear are you in? Granted it's not a rocket, but if you use the gears it will get up and go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Need more info like, what speed and gear are you in? Granted it's not a rocket, but if you use the gears it will get up and go.
It is generally applicable to any gear ratio with any speed/RPM. Take, for example, at second gear with RPM of 1500 to 2000

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
You are not going to get a lot of acceleration at 1500 rpm. The motor doesn't wake up till it's over 2000.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are not going to get a lot of acceleration at 1500 rpm. The motor doesn't wake up till it's over 2000.
Well, I just tried the same scenario at approximately 2500. No acceleration gain; just rapid worsening of instant fuel economy with loud exhaust noise.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Well, I just tried the same scenario at approximately 2500. No acceleration gain; just rapid worsening of instant fuel economy with loud exhaust noise.
That is not normal, I get very good acceleration at 2500, granted it get's louder.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To provide sufficient info, I've collected sensor data for certain duration of driving, and I've selected some of the seemingly useful sensors for a particular period, during which I had pushed full throttle twice on each of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears. You can see clearly the slowly rising RPM despite those full-throttle events.

What might cause this?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Given it's a manual transmission, it sounds like the friction disc (clutch) is worn or glazed and it's slipping under load. If so, it will require renewing the disc and related components.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Given it's a manual transmission, it sounds like the friction disc (clutch) is worn or glazed and it's slipping under load. If so, it will require renewing the disc and related components.
Wouldn't a slipping clutch show HIGH RPM with LOW SPEED? If you take a look at the last graph chart you can clearly see the engine speed/RPM (thick red line) is matching with the vehicle speed (dark green line), which removes the doubts about a failing clutch.
What I'm experiencing is the inability to raise both RPM and vehicle speed under load.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can you take a video with your windows down, showing your cluster gauge and do a pull in second gear? Like 1500rpm to maybe 5k if you can?

Might give us a better understanding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts