Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Azera. Occasionally, when I accelerate getting into traffic an a highway, the vehicle seems to die down. After I take my foot off the accelerator and accelerate again, the car acts normally. This has occurred several times. I brought it into the dealer twice and they could not find any problem. This is a serious issue, sinc the car could be rammed by oncoming traffic.
I looked at other problem forums, and found a similar problem listed for a Genesis. See quote here:
I've just bought my new 2012 Genesis sedan two months ago and have a very annoying hesitation problem when I'm going a under 5 miles/hour then try to accelerate. Nothing happens when I step on the gas for 1-2 seconds. Almost got me into an accident last week trying to pull into traffic. Took it to the dealer and they claim they could not duplicate the problem. That night, leaving the dealer it happened twice!
Today, I rented a 2013 Sonata for my visiting daughter, and experienced the same problem once. Any comments?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
If you brake with your left foot, make sure you are not pressing the brake pedal when accelerating from a stop, which some drivers do to better control acceleration. Because of the brake-throttle lockout feature, if the brake is pressed after the accelerator, the engine will go to idle regardless of accelerator position. If the brake pedal is pressed and held before the accelerator is pressed, the car will accelerate normally.

There have been reports of the Santa Fe hesitating upon accelerating. This problem seems to be corrected with a replacement of the throttle position sensor. Maybe that is the same issue here? Do a search of the 2007-2012 Santa Fe forum to read about the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll look at the Santa Fe comments. Maybe I'll copy them and bring them to my dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 Elantra which has randomly exhibited the identical hesitation problem since new. Got same dealer response as reported by others on forums. I have rented a 2015 Kia Optima sedan which was even worse. Recently, a 2016 Kia Soul exhibited same problem. This problem has put me in a seriously dangerous situation many times, especially when turning left into oncoming traffic from a stop, and/or accelerating into freeway traffic. I have been checking the forums and waiting for a recall. Amazing that Hyundai/Kia have not responded to this critical issue.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Make ABSOLUTELY - POSITIVELY you is not on the brrake pedal while trying to accell...

With the rash of TOYOTA owner claims of "runaway / unintended accell",, Hyundai put in place a "power cut" feature that if you on accell pedal and accellerating... and touch brake pedal,, the PCM will cut power to engine..

Go out in parking lot or neighbor street with no traffic.. accell from stop,, and while still on accell pedal, just "toe" the brake pedal enough to turn on brake lights..... power will cut off,, and come back a few second later if you still on the aceel pedal..

Normal... Get cars randomly that say hesitation when turning from stop..

Reactions: Karaoke Kop

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I blame that on traction control. Our Genesis 3.8L Coupe was awful for that. You had to accelerate slowly around turns every time or it would die out. Man I miss that car. It was super fast but hesitated normally anytime it broke traction.

As far as my Azera is concerned, I have never had an unexpected hesitation in acceleration except for the occasional traction loss.

If it was to start hesitating I would probably blame bad gas in the tank first and would run a product through it to fix that condition before anything else.

What really is starting to scare me with Hyundai is the amount of stall outs and engine failures lately. NHTSA has all kinds of complaints on those issues with newer Hyundai's especially with the new Sonata.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Make ABSOLUTELY - POSITIVELY you is not on the brrake pedal while trying to accell...

With the rash of TOYOTA owner claims of "runaway / unintended accell",, Hyundai put in place a "power cut" feature that if you on accell pedal and accellerating... and touch brake pedal,, the PCM will cut power to engine..

Go out in parking lot or neighbor street with no traffic.. accell from stop,, and while still on accell pedal, just "toe" the brake pedal enough to turn on brake lights..... power will cut off,, and come back a few second later if you still on the aceel pedal..

Sure wish this feature was designed into my early 2000's Pontiac Ram Air Grand Am GT. The car that nearly killed my daughter and I because the cruise control wouldn't shut off, even when I slammed on the brakes. All it did was slow the car down for a second or two, which caused a downshift and a blast-off like a rocket ship. I think under the circumstances I should be grateful I wasn't arrested for assault when I got to the dealer afterwards for trying to shove the 3-day-old car up the service manager's ....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ive had this problem with my 2012 Azera I bought from Carmax. I was on my way to work at 5am. The car was fine and then all of a sudden when the expressway interchanged to another coming down the ramp as I was accelerating it was like im giving the car gas and it was slowing down. Luckily there isn't that much traffic at that time so I pulled over put on my flashers on and started again and like two minutes later the same thing so i pulled over again and stopped and the started again . I was able to get off at my exit but again now on the street it does it again. I had my car towed to carmax last tuesday Dec 17 and they can't find the problem. Of course when you take it to be repaired the problem won't present itself and i didn't think to film at 5am i just wanna get to work safely. So basically from what i reading here AND IVE ALWAYS THOUGHT THIS is the gas and brake pedals are kinda close and if you have wide feet like me sometimes you can actually be stepping on both at the same time and that causes the car to hesitate. They can't find ANYTHING wrong with the trans, throttle body, sensors or anything else

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ive had this problem with my 2012 Azera I bought from Carmax. I was on my way to work at 5am. The car was fine and then all of a sudden when the expressway interchanged to another coming down the ramp as I was accelerating it was like im giving the car gas and it was slowing down. Luckily there isn't that much traffic at that time so I pulled over put on my flashers on and started again and like two minutes later the same thing so i pulled over again and stopped and the started again . I was able to get off at my exit but again now on the street it does it again. I had my car towed to carmax last tuesday Dec 17 and they can't find the problem. Of course when you take it to be repaired the problem won't present itself and i didn't think to film at 5am i just wanna get to work safely. So basically from what i reading here AND IVE ALWAYS THOUGHT THIS is the gas and brake pedals are kinda close and if you have wide feet like me sometimes you can actually be stepping on both at the same time and that causes the car to hesitate. They can't find ANYTHING wrong with the trans, throttle body, sensors or anything else
I faced the same concerns when my car odo read 104,000 kms and whenever i went to the mechanic they were like everything is fine. By 110,000 kms the engine light used to turn on and disappear, the mechanic checked the obd and advice that due to an engine misfire the hesitation was cause and advised to replace the engine coil and spark plug of the misfiring cylinder which happened to be easily accessible. The car ran smooth for the next 5000 K never hesitated and then it started again and was very upsetting. Then the engine light would to come on when the hesitation starts and then it would disappear and finally the engine light would not go off and had to be reset at the mechanic, the mechanic advised that there would be no damage to the engine and went on resetting the OBD for the engine light to go away. the mechanics were like id need to replace my O2 sensors and it was causing an error for the engine light to turn on. But at 120,000 kms the car just started vibrating once the hesitation started, the diagnosis multiple cylinders were misfiring due to bad engine coils. I informed the mechanic to change all 6 engine coils and spark plugs. FYI few cylinders were not getting any spark and the car was running on 4 or 5 cylinders resulting in loss of power.

No issue for the last 20,000 km fingers crossed everything runs smooth

Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts