Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there !

First: Thanks much for all the info provided on this site; very helpfull most of the time :thumbsup:

At this point, i'm desperate to find a solution as this is very annoying and i'm thinking about selling it shortly...

First, it's a Sonata 2008 2,4 manual with 60 000km on the clock. I bought it used at a fair price few months ago and should say that overall, i'm pretty satisfied. BUT, two little annoyments became a PITA on a daily use: 1) the clutch - wired accelerator design that gives a little bump each time i shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd, if i'm not fully focused on the friction point vs accelerator position. 2) At low RPM, low speed, from 1st gear - shifting to 2nd gear until i'm in 3rd gear, i have this slight hesitation in the acceleration ( feels like fuel or spark is missing at a random pace ). It's VERY annoying as i can not have a smooth and linear acceleration 99% of the time.

I went to my Hyundai dealer and explained the problem. They confirmed my problem with a road test and tried to figure out what is causing this behavior. Got a complete scan to see if something went wrong. They changed the fuel filter ( was due anyway per maintenance sked), got rid of the fuel in the tank and replaced it. Got new spark plugs, air filter. Did another road test and ............... did it again :puzzled:

As it's only a "slight" hesitation, there's nothing more they can do !

I got rid of the resonator, from the air intake and it's still doing it.

Disconnected the battery to help the ECU relearn.

I thought about the pedal travel sensor: what do you think ?

I can manage the shifting built-in anoyance but, this hesitation, i can't do anything to control it !

Thanks much for your help by giving me any tips to get rid of this problem !

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (milehighclub @ Jun 23 2010, 01:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335579
Hi there !

First: Thanks much for all the info provided on this site; very helpfull most of the time :thumbsup:

At this point, i'm desperate to find a solution as this is very annoying and i'm thinking about selling it shortly...

First, it's a Sonata 2008 2,4 manual with 60 000km on the clock. I bought it used at a fair price few months ago and should say that overall, i'm pretty satisfied. BUT, two little annoyments became a PITA on a daily use: 1) the clutch - wired accelerator design that gives a little bump each time i shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd, if i'm not fully focused on the friction point vs accelerator position. 2) At low RPM, low speed, from 1st gear - shifting to 2nd gear until i'm in 3rd gear, i have this slight hesitation in the acceleration ( feels like fuel or spark is missing at a random pace ). It's VERY annoying as i can not have a smooth and linear acceleration 99% of the time.

I went to my Hyundai dealer and explained the problem. They confirmed my problem with a road test and tried to figure out what is causing this behavior. Got a complete scan to see if something went wrong. They changed the fuel filter ( was due anyway per maintenance sked), got rid of the fuel in the tank and replaced it. Got new spark plugs, air filter. Did another road test and ............... did it again :puzzled:

As it's only a "slight" hesitation, there's nothing more they can do !

I got rid of the resonator, from the air intake and it's still doing it.

Disconnected the battery to help the ECU relearn.

I thought about the pedal travel sensor: what do you think ?

I can manage the shifting built-in anoyance but, this hesitation, i can't do anything to control it !

Thanks much for your help by giving me any tips to get rid of this problem !

There is a Program for the 2009/2010 M/T PCM available.... I cannot find TSB about it to know what it covers, but I have ran across the program when I was looking to update 2009 automatics before they made the GDS integrate the 2009/2010
into the same line..

Try going to dealer, and see if they will find out what #158 is for, or just go ahead and try it... they will have to manually enter vehicle as a 2009 so the GDS will allow them to proceed, then they will have to do the program in manual mode..

Good luck.

I have driven a couple of the 2.4 M/T cars, hate the throttle sychronization.. especially after driving my own cable operated throttle for last 21yr with M/T...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks sbr.

I've had sticks for the past 25 years and THIS one is a real pain. They just took the fun of shifting out of this car :3gears:

·
Registered
550 Posts
You're right! I don't know if that helps any, but YOU'RE RIGHT. I also have a manual transmission and also have the same throttle hesitation. It definitely makes shifting smoothly more difficult. I found I can compensate for the lack of throttle response when shifting gears by applying the throttle a 1/4 second to 1/2 second sooner than I would in most other cars. It's a shame because it taints an otherwise wonderful car. Believe or not, when I installed my firmer suspension it reduced the adverse impact of the "throttle/clutch" lag tremendously. If you happen to explore Sbr711's excellent suggestion, kindly let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As i don't want to put too much money on the car, i was thinking about firmer engine mounts, a new clutch with firmer springs, a lighter flywheel or a chip burning but....... NOTHING IS AVAILABLE for this car to enhance performance :wallbash:

Thanks for your help !

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are you talking about a hesitation as your accelerating, or at the beginning of a shift when you press the gas it hesitates before the engine responds?

If your just talking about the stupid dead play the gas pedals have on these, I have a fix. I just posted a thread(dead spot in gas pedal) that has a link to the info you need to adjust the dead spot out. It's for a Kia forte forum but it has the same engine(2.4 i4) and pedal assembly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My car (2010 4cy GLS) also has the hesitation you are talking about. The dealer where I bought the car said there was no problem. I test drove another new car on the lot and that car does exactly what my car does -- press the gas at a stand still and it's a moment before the car will start moving.

When I brought this up at a second dealer, the advisor said the behavior is basically due to the cars are tuned to run lean and therefore there is a surging when the cars take off from dead stop. it's a sad truth that in order to meet EPA requirements, the cars are tuned to run this way.

Just go to a BMW dealer and test drive any new 3 series cars (I have) and they do the same thing.....

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Go to dealer and ask them to install program #158 and see what/if it does anything (provided it is a 4 cyl M/T car)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (Sleepy3103 @ Jun 26 2010, 02:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336263
Are you talking about a hesitation as your accelerating, or at the beginning of a shift when you press the gas it hesitates before the engine responds?

If your just talking about the stupid dead play the gas pedals have on these, I have a fix. I just posted a thread(dead spot in gas pedal) that has a link to the info you need to adjust the dead spot out. It's for a Kia forte forum but it has the same engine(2.4 i4) and pedal assembly.

Only during accelerations. From 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd at low speed and low rpms ( below 3k). I guess it doesn't like to show this side of it's torque curve ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts