Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3 V6 engine which had a condenser leak. The condenser was replaced by a mechanic friend of mine and we recharged with R12,We used Redtek products and that pressure gauge was maintained between 30 -38 as suggested by Redtek. I don't have Hyundai Santa Fe Specs as I could not find it anywhere. The AC is working but not cool enough compared to other cars. Any ideas what could be the problem? Anyone has any details about Hyundai Specs for 2009 Santa Fe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2009 3.3L doesn't use R12. Should be using R134A. Read placard under hood.
It states that but as per instructions available on the internet and also on the Redtek manual they are both interchangeable as long as they are not mixed. Unfortunately, I could not find the placard under the hood. Thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You should not have used R12, will not mix with oil correctly as compressor contains PAG oil for R134A.
Maybe you did not evacuate the system prior to charging it? Air is system will cause poor performance and other issues.

The proper charge level for 2009 Santa Fe is 22oz of R134A

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
If you used R-12 in an R-134a system it will need complete purging and the oil and refrigerant replaced. DO THIS NOW! Expect it to be expensive.

The refrigerants are NOT interchangable! You should hope you haven't done serious damage to your air conditioning system.

Anyone who thinks R-12 and R-134a are interchangable doesn't know what he's talking about. Period. They are not.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2009 3.3L doesn't use R12. Should be using R134A. Read placard under hood.
If you used R-12 in an R-134a system it will need complete purging and the oil and refrigerant replaced. DO THIS NOW! Expect it to be expensive.

The refrigerants are NOT interchangable! You should hope you haven't done serious damage to your air conditioning system.

Anyone who thinks R-12 and R-134a are interchangable doesn't know what he's talking about. Period. They are not.

You should not have used R12, will not mix with oil correctly as compressor contains PAG oil for R134A.
Maybe you did not evacuate the system prior to charging it? Air is system will cause poor performance and other issues.

The proper charge level for 2009 Santa Fe is 22oz of R134A
Thanks you all for the honest replies. Now I am super worried and will try to get this sorted out.

Not sure how expensive this would be. The mechanic who changed the condenser had said not to worry as we had let out all the old coolant when he replaced the condenser. My Bad.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I assume that the OP was really talking about R12a, and not R12? Canadian by any chance?
Anyway, would be much better to use R-134a, and it is a must to pull a high vacuum on the system for about 30 minutes (unless you have a micron gauge) to boil all the moisture out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I assume that the OP was really talking about R12a, and not R12? Canadian by any chance?
Anyway, would be much better to use R-134a, and it is a must to pull a high vacuum on the system for about 30 minutes (unless you have a micron gauge) to boil all the moisture out.

Yes Canadian and referring to R12A. Very naive to all these.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My local indy guy is so great. He did a complete purge of my AC system when he did a repair, then refilled. Not expensive at his shop, but a lot of work/time with reasonably expensive specialized equipment.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Yeah, I don't think that R12a (basically propane) is allowed as a refrigerant in the US. Among your other problems is that no one will want to work on it now because it would contaminate their recovery machine, which would be a very expensive problem for them. Usually, they insist that every part of the AC system be replaced.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
This is the first I've heard of R-12a. You learn something new every day.

If the characteristics of R-12a are similar to R-12 but it's in a system designed for another refrigerant (R-134a), there is now a mismatch between the design of the A/C system and the gas it's using. Don't be surprised if something doesn't work right. Personally, I'd not put anything in mine that the manufacturer didn't say was supposed to be there.

Did you run the temperature control all the way down so it slows "LO" in the display? Mine works best if I do that. I suspect it loads the compressor to the max and sets the expansion valve for maximum cooling.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is the first I've heard of R-12a. You learn something new every day.

If the characteristics of R-12a are similar to R-12 but it's in a system designed for another refrigerant (R-134a), there is now a mismatch between the design of the A/C system and the gas it's using. Don't be surprised if something doesn't work right. Personally, I'd not put anything in mine that the manufacturer didn't say was supposed to be there.

Did you run the temperature control all the way down so it slows "LO" in the display? Mine works best if I do that. I suspect it loads the compressor to the max and sets the expansion valve for maximum cooling.

Yeah, I don't think that R12a (basically propane) is allowed as a refrigerant in the US. Among your other problems is that no one will want to work on it now because it would contaminate their recovery machine, which would be a very expensive problem for them. Usually, they insist that every part of the AC system be replaced.
Thanks Guys for all your valuable replies and giving me a solution. So this is what I gathered. The R12a is similar to R134a but very different from R12. I was told by a mechanic here that R12 will damage the system but R12a won't but vary in equivalency and there are equivalency charts which make it hard to compare.

As mentioned some shops were hesitant to use their machines for fear of cross-contamination. I did finally get a mechanic who evacuated the whole thing and added fresh coolant and oil. So finally got my AC to work today.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Please keep us updated on how well your system performs this summer. Not that we could use it in the States, I'm just curious to know how well it does for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts