Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My 2007 Sonata 2.4L AC has stopped working.

Here is the diagnosis so far. Compressor clutch isn't engaging. So checked electrical which turns out to be fine.

Next connected AC gauges and found the pressure is only 5 PSI :-(
So it looks like system has completely leaked (although shouldn't that result in a reading of 15 PSI - same as atmospheric pressure?).

That might explain why the compressor clutch is not coming on.

I guess I have to first find the leak.
So my questions -
1. Does any one have system AND electrical diagrams?

2. Once I find a leak, do I have to replace compressor, condenser, expansion valve etc. etc.?

3. How involved is this job?

Thanks for the help in advance.

NG

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
First find the leak, then decide the way to go, but I wouldn't replace any other items except the component where the leak is located, and add any oil if needed. Once repaired/fixed, make certain you pull vacuum for an hour or so. If all gas leaks the reading will be zero.

I have a leak detector, but a cheap way to find leak, throw some gas into the system and spray some soap/water solution over the various areas, but if the evap is leaking it will be impossible to see. Also look to see if you can located any residue from the oil being released.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First find the leak, then decide the way to go, but I wouldn't replace any other items except the component where the leak is located, and add any oil if needed. Once repaired/fixed, make certain you pull vacuum for an hour or so. If all gas leaks the reading will be zero.

I have a leak detector, but a cheap way to find leak, throw some gas into the system and spray some soap/water solution over the various areas, but if the evap is leaking it will be impossible to see. Also look to see if you can located any residue from the oil being released.
Thanks Turbonut. Will do that next.

I do see some oily discharge near the compressor where the lines are connected to the compressor. Is it possible that just the seals/o-rings deteriorate over time and leak?

BTW I am planning to use compressed air to check the system with soapy water instead of throwing in refrigerant as I don't know how big a leak it is. Any thoughts?

TIA,

NG

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok Guys,

Need some help.

I spent quite some time tracing the problem. Looks like my problem may be a compressor leak. Can't get soap water test to conclusively point that because I don't see bubbles.

But Hyundai may be adding UV dye at the time of manufacture as I do see some oil like leak AND UV light shows dye all around compressor body parts. There are some dye traces around the pressure sensor fittings and also around the expansion valve but the compressor body shows quite a bit of dye.

Now questions are -
  1. Given that the pressure in the system isn't holding for too long, I think it might be a substantial leak that can not be fixed by one of these "AC Leak Sealants"
  2. should I just replace the compressor?
  3. or Should I get the whole kit and replace Compressor, Condenser and the expansion valve all?
  4. How involved is replacing the condenser - does it require removal of radiator assembly?
Suggestions, Comments, Please. 🙏🙏

1 - 4 of 4 Posts