Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has happened to me three times now and the last time I was at the dealer they said they looked at everything and it was fine. Looks like I have to create the problem again and then drive there. Heres the issue. After around 2-3 hours of having the AC running its almost like its freezing up on me. It slowly starts to blow less and less cold air, like the fan speed is dropping or something. When I crank the air it doesn't have nearly the power that it normally does and eventually the air hardly blows at all and it gets warm. Yesterday I turned the AC off for about 10 minutes and then turned it back on and it blew hard and cold. When I got home and parked it was condensating and had water like a steady stream coming out from under which makes me think it may have froze up. Any thoughts on this one???

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Have you checked to make sure the cabin filter isn't clogged? Mine looked pretty darned bad at only 22k miles.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my first thought and that's why I changed it out. It wasn't terrible at all really but I swapped it out anyways just to be sure.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Definitely sounds like freezeup from your description. This has not been a commonly reported problem here, compressor failures have been the more typical AC issue.
You may have an improper charge level although I'd think the dealer would have found that when they checked it.
Other possibilities are blocked airflow through the condenser (check for leaves or other debris) or a problem with the thermostatic cycling of the compressor. I doubt the evaporator drain is clogged if you see water coming out.

·
Registered
622 Posts
This has happened to me three times now and the last time I was at the dealer they said they looked at everything and it was fine. Looks like I have to create the problem again and then drive there. Heres the issue. After around 2-3 hours of having the AC running its almost like its freezing up on me. It slowly starts to blow less and less cold air, like the fan speed is dropping or something. When I crank the air it doesn't have nearly the power that it normally does and eventually the air hardly blows at all and it gets warm. Yesterday I turned the AC off for about 10 minutes and then turned it back on and it blew hard and cold. When I got home and parked it was condensating and had water like a steady stream coming out from under which makes me think it may have froze up. Any thoughts on this one???
The evap temp sensor could be acting up as well. I'd ask if they checked it, and what the specs were that they found.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Do you notice the a/c failing when at idle? Or driving?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Fox-- had nailed it. Your coil is freezing up: condensate from the moisture in the air is forming on the coil just as it should-- then it should drain away and the air blowing through the coil is cooled. But when the coil gets too cold it freezes on the coil and can't drain; after a while the coil is covered in ice and blocks air flow-- it's not the fan-- it's the fact that the proper amount of air can not pass thru the coil because of the ice.. If you shut the AC off the ice will soon melt-- then turn it back on and it seems to work well . . . for a while. This is why the dealer does not "see" the problem-- as you said it take a couple of hours.

As others have mentioned, it could be a bad sensor, control valve, or it needs addition refrigerant.

The same thing happens to home AC systems-- usually because they need refrigerant charging.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm glad that you guys seem to confirm what I thought. And thanks for the recommendations on what I should tell them to look for. It only seems to happen when I'm driving. It happened after the three hour drive coming home from bringing my son to college. Ill update ya when I can get an appointment and see what they say.

Devin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts