Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking for parts to fix my AC recently I discovered some info that others might find useful. The AC compressor for the 96-98 Accent are similar to those used on Kia's of the same year range because they both use UAC compressors. The compressors on the Rio are a different UAC part number so they wont fit directly. However the the AC clutch components on the RIO compressors are all the same except for the pulley itself. The compressors also use the same clutch bearing. Its a bit of a pain to remove that bearing from the pulley and swap it but it can be done. You have to grind off those little retainer stamping with a dremel tool.

The bearing on my compressor had failed and toasted some clutch parts on its way out. Luckily the pulley itself was salvageable. Probably a common problem with Hyundai as I saw another car in the wrecker with the same condition. I checked it over and nothing else was wrong with my AC system. When swapping the bearing I popped off the seals and inspected the grease. What the bearing manufacturer used during assembly did not look like quality stuff. I suggest a repack if using a second hand bearing. You can also get a new bearing online for around $20 if you feel like waiting on it. I did not have time to waste seeing as we are still in the worst part of summer here in Florida.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts