Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Terracan users you have been a great help in the past, maybe you can come to the rescue again.
I have had several issues here in Ecuador with my Terry, and your input has been most useful. thankyou for the help.

So the A/C on a terracan 2.9 diesel 2006 model. started to be intermittant. just would not go and then suddenly start working, it is quite random.
as the car has done over 300,000 Km I felt a new compressor was in order and we put a new one in and it works fine, also I managed to get a new dash control panel as the previous one was causing faults in other areas, so they are both new.
the A/C when it works is great, but it jsut does not sometimes and this was both with the old and new compressors. I suspect a wire fault, as I could not get 12V current on the one wire going into the compressor which activates the clutch. I have checke the fuses they are fine. I can start up and turn on the air for a week and it turns on every time, then one day it will not work. the next day it will work again.
Any ideas or secrets you have found before I follow the wire loom and see what is going on.

Hope to hear from you

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Who did the compressor?

There's a few things that can keep the clutch from engaging. Pressure switches, manually controlled switches, temperature switches. A scan tool would help.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,954 Posts
A quick and easy way to know if the problem is being caused by a break somewhere on the compressor control wire is to bypass the compressor relay in the engine bay fusebox next time the AC wont work....see below.

If the compressor engages when you bypass the relay you know the wiring between the relay and the compressor is OK.

Remove Relay & Link Terminals of Relay Socket

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info on the relay now where is it. is it in the main fuse box which the manuel says COMP for compressor.
Also where do I locate the ambient temp relay and the condensor relay. just to show my ignorance, just bihind the climate control panel there is also a relay not sure what that is for.
your help is much apriciated

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update. I need to find the triple pressure switch, thermostatic switch and compressor relay if that is not the relay in the main fuse box which says COMP. also as my car has only a basic climate control unit A/C and fans no dicital it does not have a Ambient temp sensor on the front.

Thanks for your help

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Update. I need to find the triple pressure switch, thermostatic switch and compressor relay if that is not the relay in the main fuse box which says COMP. also as my car has only a basic climate control unit A/C and fans no dicital it does not have a Ambient temp sensor on the front.

Thanks for your help
You may not have the display but you probably still have the ambient temperature sensor and if it's not hooked up or is bad it can be your problem.
There locate at/around the grille.

·
Registered
16,954 Posts
I need to find the triple pressure switch
Pressure switch is at the front of the engine bay, just in front of the air filter housing. It's fitted to one of the pipes coming off the AC drier.

dtfitter said:
thermostatic switch
The connector for it is on top of the heater box behind the glovebox area.

dtfitter said:
and compressor relay if that is not the relay in the main fuse box which says COMP.
COMP relay, that's the one.

dtfitter said:
also as my car....does not have a Ambient temp sensor on the front.
Correct.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Pressure switch is at the front of the engine bay, just in front of the air filter housing. It's fitted to one of the pipes coming off the AC drier.

The connector for it is on top of the heater box behind the glovebox area.

COMP relay, that's the one.

Correct.
The system doesn't use the ambient temperature?
You can run the AC in the winter? I know they are made to cycle during defrost to keep the system OK.

I ask because I like to learn. I haven't seen an AC system that didn't use ambient temps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your help, I have learned a lot about where all these sensors are, I ended up taking the connector of the AC sensor on the AC driyer, well it fell to peices the plastic cover was so brittle from the heat, but anyway, cleaned what was left and cleaned the contacts. Rebuilt it with heat resistant silicone, yes I know it is not the best idea but they do not sell the replacement connectors here and I have to wait three months for a new one, and it has worked great ever sence, just did an 800km trip and it was flawless.waiting for a new connector and sensor just in case.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Thanks for all your help, I have learned a lot about where all these sensors are, I ended up taking the connector of the AC sensor on the AC driyer, well it fell to peices the plastic cover was so brittle from the heat, but anyway, cleaned what was left and cleaned the contacts. Rebuilt it with heat resistant silicone, yes I know it is not the best idea but they do not sell the replacement connectors here and I have to wait three months for a new one, and it has worked great ever sence, just did an 800km trip and it was flawless.waiting for a new connector and sensor just in case.
Good job. That will probably last for several years but you'll have a backup just in case.
Did you happen to find out about the ambient air temperature? I'm curious as I've never seen an AC system that didn't use a temperature switch or sensor.

·
Registered
16,954 Posts
I ended up taking the connector of the AC sensor on the AC driyer, well it fell to peices the plastic cover was so brittle from the heat...Rebuilt it with heat resistant silicone...and it has worked great ever sence.
Great to hear you managed to trace the fault and repair it successfully. Thanks for taking the time to post back and let us know what was causing the problem. I'm sure that will help the next guy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello again, I think my Terry is getting fed up with Ecuadorian roads and mountains, anyway I nearly got stuck the fuel return T on the pump broke, any ideas how to get a new one. I patched this one up and put a new O ring in and it is working, but this silly little piece of plastic!! is cooked as the car has done over 300,000 Km now. and I can not get the part in Ecuador.
It is the plastic return T on the outside top of the CDRI pump. it plugs into the back the the pump and is held with a small bolt. It has a vertical hose and a return to the fuel filter hose plugged into it.

I could use some help with part name and number and where to get it in the world, anywhere exept here is fine.

thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is perfect thaks so much now I have a name and a part number, that really helps, with that we can get on and order a new part.
your help is much appriciated. will get on and see if I can get the part sent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
terracan Ecuador

Hello again from Ecuador looking for some input into a small issue with my terracan 2.9 diesel.
The car has two electric fans on the front of the radiator. when the AC is off and the car is running normally then both fans a off. AC on and both fans come on.
If the engine temp gets really hot then the left ( facing front)had fan come on as an aditional cooling help. so if you turn the car on from cold without the AC no electric fans will not come on. Now the left had fan comes on as soon as you turn the engine on, hot or cold. and stays on until you turn the engine off.
Cooling system is fine and engine runs fine no problems.
Have checked relkays and swapped them around between fans and no change so suspect they are not to blame.
Any ideas would be a great help.

thanks agian for taking the time to give your helps they have in the past really sorted aout niggly problems.

·
Registered
16,954 Posts
Now the left had fan comes on as soon as you turn the engine on, hot or cold. and stays on until you turn the engine off.
Cooling system is fine and engine runs fine no problems.
It sounds like there might be a fault with the engine coolant temperature sensor circuit. When the engine PCM sees an implausible signal from the sensor it will switch on the radiator cooling fan as a fail safe measure to protect the engine. Usually on Hyundai engines there are two sensor elements built into the one housing. One sensor for the temperature gauge on the instrument cluster and one for the engine management system, so a sensor fault wont necessarily effect the gauge. If you have an OBD scan tool you should be able to read the engine management sensor output using the tool's data list function.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
coolant sensor

Autospark

thanks again for your help it worked out we scanned the car all well apart from the coolant sensor, it was replaced but we now need to find the other coolant sensor as the one just below the thermostat housing is new now. any pointer would be a great help.
thanks again for your help

·
Registered
16,954 Posts
we now need to find the other coolant sensor
AFAIK, there's only one coolant temp sensor. As I said before, Hyundai engines usually have the two sensors inside a single component. Does the one you replaced have a 3 wire connector? If so that will have two sensor elements inside, one for the engine management system and one for the gauge on the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Autospark

Sorry and you mentioned that about only one sensor but going to two locations., So we have replaced the whole temp sensor which has the three points conector. Car runs fine fan comes on as soon as car starts.

I have found the two relays in the main fuse box which control the fans as they are the same I swapped them to see if that might be the problem, same result. So I think we can asume they are OK.

I also checked the acutal fan housing, it has its own fuse case with fuse, it was full of water, so cleaned it out and fuse is fine. After the fuse box there is a small flat rectanualr box where the wires from the fuse go in and the leave for the fan motor. this is sealed up so I was just thinking it might it be some type of relay and is stuck due to water penetration. this fan is the original fan and has done 317,000Km the other fan was replaced two years ago. It is just a thought. I does not explain why the scan brought up a coolantnt temprature sensor error. A fault with the istrument cluster is another option but the temp guage reads fine. I have not had any overheating issues and I have learned a few things about that in the past.

Anyway any more ideas and we will prusure them, again all your help is much apriciated.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts