Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm stopped at a red light for a while I notice that my car doesn't blow cold air anymore, there's tons of blowing but feels like its just normal outside air being blown into the cabin even with re circulation on and AC on.

I've tried turning the AC on and off again at the light, and nothing changes...

I also notice sometimes the AC would decide to blow a little stronger, then let off again. Not sure if the problem is RPM related , i.e. IDLE issue or what.

Just wanted to see what fellow i45+ owners had in mind to what could be causing this issue... I've read something about condenser being clogged, and what not, but I have to be sure.

I'm an IT person, not a mechanic, but at this rate, I would have been happy to be a mechanic and fix my own problems instead of depending on other people!

Anyways, thanks.

-MS

P.S. It works again and starts blowing cold air as long as I'm moving, so I guess it's not that big of an issue, but the hot temperatures here in South Florida can surely give you heat strokes in matter of minutes.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Mitaki

There is definitely something wrong. The compressor may somehow be turning off as you sit waiting for the light.

·
Registered
622 Posts
When I'm stopped at a red light for a while I notice that my car doesn't blow cold air anymore, there's tons of blowing but feels like its just normal outside air being blown into the cabin even with re circulation on and AC on.

I've tried turning the AC on and off again at the light, and nothing changes...

I also notice sometimes the AC would decide to blow a little stronger, then let off again. Not sure if the problem is RPM related , i.e. IDLE issue or what.

Just wanted to see what fellow i45+ owners had in mind to what could be causing this issue... I've read something about condenser being clogged, and what not, but I have to be sure.

I'm an IT person, not a mechanic, but at this rate, I would have been happy to be a mechanic and fix my own problems instead of depending on other people!

Anyways, thanks.

-MS

P.S. It works again and starts blowing cold air as long as I'm moving, so I guess it's not that big of an issue, but the hot temperatures here in South Florida can surely give you heat strokes in matter of minutes.
When you're sitting still at idle and the cold air stops, try revving the engine and see if the cold air returns. If it does, compressor is getting stuck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you're sitting still at idle and the cold air stops, try revving the engine and see if the cold air returns. If it does, compressor is getting stuck.
I'll try that first thing tomorrow in the afternoon and see if i notice a difference, thanks for the input, and if it doesnt work... what else could be the issue, and if it is, should I be bring it into the shop? I need a vehicle for going to and from school also... So I'm not sure if I'll have time, but I do need this fixed ASAP.

FYI. South Florida has no such thing as public transit if you ever plan to come here... Or if you've been here, you know what I mean. Haha.

Normal to feel some decline in cooling at a stop but shouldn't feel like AC is off.
Yeah. It doesn't happen all the time, but its always a sometimes... It just feels like its blowing regular air, nothing cold would be coming out of it, I usually have the temp set to like 74ish, but I even tried putting it the lowest setting (65 degrees I believe); it made no difference.

My turbo does the exact same thing as the OP. I've thought about taking it in, but I figured it would be hard to replicate. Definitely noticeable in South Texas heat.
Keep me updated on what you're gonna do or have it done. I'll also do the same and see with what issues come up if I do end up having to bring it in... I also saw someone on page 2 of the forum with a 2011 gls also with AC issues, Idk if it could be a major problem...

-MS

·
Registered
729 Posts
This is normal in every car I've ever had...Sonata included. If it is blazing hot outside you'll definitely feel that the air gets warm while idling. The compressor shuts off to take the load off the engine so it doesn't overheat while idling. Perfectly normal. You can do a continuous rev and it will begin cooling again.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
We seen a handfull where the radiator fan not been running to pull air through condenser.. The system pressure will then go over pressure and system shut down..

Just open hood and turn on the A/C and listen to hear the large fan run.. had 2 myself that partial burnt windings in the motor, you could smell it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
We seen a handfull where the radiator fan not been running to pull air through condenser.. The system pressure will then go over pressure and system shut down..

Just open hood and turn on the A/C and listen to hear the large fan run.. had 2 myself that partial burnt windings in the motor, you could smell it.
Yes this is the problem, I had it happen in mine. If the fan stops working then ac runs warm

Reactions: Soccerguy48025

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hahahaha I read the title and was like, who in their right mind is trying to run their AC in the middle of winter?!?! But then I soon realized it was just a revived thread!

·
22,793 Posts
LMAO. Done that! OH, well, we're only human.

Loved the comment about the guy from South Texas. He wasn't kidding about "hot," there. South Texas...isn't that the place the preacher says you go when you die and you didn't live a good life on earth? It's hotter'n :devil: in South Texas!!

Reactions: Soccerguy48025

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had this happen to me last summer (2012 Sonata GLS)... caught in traffic on I-95... got warmer and warmer - AC still on and running - tried upping the fan speed - no good... had to turn it off for a few minutes and back on again for it to kick back in...

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2013 Sonata has a similar issue, but not exactly. Periodically, the vents will stop discharging air even though the circulating fan is on. Adjusting the fan speed, you can hear the fan speed up or down but not additional air comes from the vents, any vents. Unfortunately, it does for 30-60 minutes and then mysteriously blows air again. It is very tough to replicate and has only happened 3 times at, of course, the worse times during highway trips in 85F+ weather. The dealership told me that their service manager had the same issue on his and they think it is just a "purge" cycle. However, being a building HVAC designer, I don't buy that answer. Anyone else having the same issue?

·
Registered
941 Posts
The evaporator might be freezing up due to low system charge or a control issue (compressor not cycling correctly). This will reduce or stop airflow from the vents. Make sure the drain hose is open and water is coming out when the AC is running.
Take a look at the cabin filter, if it's very dirty or clogged it will restrict airflow although this probably wouldn't be intermittent.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I just brought my Sonata in yesterday for the same issue. They tested the AC lines for any leaks , none were found but the refrigerant was low so they topped it up. Not sure how it was low with no leaks. But it works now.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I just brought my Sonata in yesterday for the same issue. They tested the AC lines for any leaks , none were found but the refrigerant was low so they topped it up. Not sure how it was low with no leaks. But it works now.
Well. It's still blowing hot air after the dealer fixed it. This time it turns out to be the fan that everyone is talking about. There a small ceramic part(relay or resistor) that is becoming brittle and breaking and not sending the power to the fan. Cheap parts! I'm wondering if this is gonna be a 5 yr and toss kind've car. Like the Stellar or Pony. Lol

·
Registered
941 Posts
Well. It's still blowing hot air after the dealer fixed it. This time it turns out to be the fan that everyone is talking about. There a small ceramic part(relay or resistor) that is becoming brittle and breaking and not sending the power to the fan. Cheap parts! I'm wondering if this is gonna be a 5 yr and toss kind've car. Like the Stellar or Pony. Lol
That sounds like the blower motor resistor, it's a common failure part on many cars usually at higher mileage (you haven't said what your mileage is).
The warm air is a different problem and they should have looked at that as well. Compressor failure is a known issue, at least it was on the '11's. I had mine replaced because in very hot weather the compressor would not engage right away on the initial use of the AC, it could take 5-10 minutes. Once it did come on it was usually ok for the rest of the day unless the car sat for a long time. Unfortunately because there is no external clutch on these compressors you can't tell easily by looking whether it's running or not, although you can feel the lines to see if they're getting cold.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts