Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can give me some ideas on the best way to get the clean/foam spray on the coils for my 2014 Santa Fe LWB? I've located the cabin air filter and can see the blower motor, but the coils don't look close to it.
They look to be in the middle of the dash.

How can I go about spraying the foam in the correct location?
From the looks of a diagram I found the evaporator would be to the left in this picture.
Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 2014 SF just started to have a musty smell when the a/c first kicks on. The weird thing is that the smell wasn't there, but once I changed the cabin filter the smell started.....so I don't get as to why yet. I was wondering if there was any build up/water that was not drained properly in the evaporator area.
I checked the drain tube and it seemed OK, but will run the a/c again for a long time and see if it drips.

I've seen these foam sprays with long tubes that you spray on the coils. So trying to see where to spray since I can't see it. I'm not looking to take it out but rather spray on it.
I've read that some can stick the foam tube up the drain tube to get it in that way, but not sure.

·
Registered
920 Posts
It’s very common to get molds and bacteria especially with Kia/Hyundai vehicles, I used to buy this spray foam kit that came with a long tube and used it in my Kia Optima. This kit are design to be direct the long tube upwards into the drain tube and spray the whole can. I still have one kit left as spare but it’s somewhere in the garage, anyways you can easily fix it by spraying Lysol into the front vents at the bottom of the windshield. This will definitely helps with getting rid of the bacteria and molds buildup including that musty smell. Have a look at this video for some guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JGS93GT

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did some research and alot of the cleaners say to go from the drain tube under the car.
What I found is that there are side panels (driver and passenger) that can be removed in the center dash area, under the dash. These pop off and you can see the evaporator there and also the drain tube where it connects to the evaporator "box" So instead of going from under the car you can go right into the bottom of the tank. Just carefully disconnect the drain hose and then the cleaner foam kit has a nossle that can go directly into the port. Then after the foam is injected, just put the drain tube back on and then let the residue drain down the tube and into a pan to collect it.
Here is the video I found that helped make the job easier.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2013 Santa Fe 3.3 takes a few minutes (2/3) before it get cold. Does it mean I should clean the evaporator or is normal. In the summer, here it is over 40 C (104 F) or is it normal

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
My 2013 Santa Fe 3.3 takes a few minutes (2/3) before it get cold. Does it mean I should clean the evaporator or is normal. In the summer, here it is over 40 C (104 F) or is it normal
Is your cabin filter clean? If you switch between recirc and fresh does it make a difference? Recirc should get colder faster.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am in AZ where its hot right now.....I didn't time how long before it gets cold, but I would think about a minute is starts to get cooler..... My 2014 had issues where it would get warmer when I came to a stop light and then back to cooler when I started to move and get air into the condenser......If its not holding temp then I would look at the HI and LOW pressure lines on the left side of the condenser (under the hood where the radiator is) At the top the silver lines have a very tight bend/connection and if you see black/dark covering the connection areas....then the lines are probably bad and need to be replaced. I believe the HI pressure line went bad and then a year later the LOW pressure line was bad....common issue I was told with these cars.

I think a foam evaporator cleaning and new cabin filter can only help the car's a/c capabilities.....otherwise you might be low on Freon possibly????

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am in AZ where its hot right now.....I didn't time how long before it gets cold, but I would think about a minute is starts to get cooler..... My 2014 had issues where it would get warmer when I came to a stop light and then back to cooler when I started to move and get air into the condenser......If its not holding temp then I would look at the HI and LOW pressure lines on the left side of the condenser (under the hood where the radiator is) At the top the silver lines have a very tight bend/connection and if you see black/dark covering the connection areas....then the lines are probably bad and need to be replaced. I believe the HI pressure line went bad and then a year later the LOW pressure line was bad....common issue I was told with these cars.

I think a foam evaporator cleaning and new cabin filter can only help the car's a/c capabilities.....otherwise you might be low on Freon possibly????
Thanks a million; changed the cabin filter. I will look into pressure lines of the condenser. Is it marked HI and LOW?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think they are the HI pressure lines. I attached a link to the lines that were replaced on mine.
From the attached link, Picture No.5 and No.8 is what hoses were replaced.

Hose pic 5 has very tight bends that connect to the condenser and looks like an place where the hose will leak. But if you look around those areas and see a fluid on those hoses, then it could be the hose failed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts