Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a 2018 a Elantra and was wondering how much water is supposed to be dripping from underneath the car? My barley drips, i was thinking there would be way more. I have no water in passenger floorboard. Ever since I’ve had the car it’s had a musty smell coming from the vents. Last summer Dealership changed cabin filter, ran a cleaner through the system and said they checked the drain hose and it was draining like it should be. didn’t help. Ended up installing a new evaporator. Since then I’m still getting a smell from the ac that comes and goes. I am wondering if this would have anything to do with the car not draining all the water? Seeing if anyone has ever experienced the smell and drain tube amount leaking. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had a 2012 until I bought my new 2020 Elantra and both have the same issue regarding the smell.
Turning off the A/C and running the fan on high with the heat on a few blocks before getting home helps but who wants to turn on the heat when it's hot and humid outside.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
First factory AC vehicle was in 1962, ha, didn't want one because far more interested in performance and AC was for nerds, but became a nerd. Been a nerd ever since, but could never fit a computer in my shirt pocket protector, so guess I am not a nerd anymore.

Very first thing I learned in when using an AC, five minutes before you parked it for the night, had to switch the AC compressor off with the blower at maximum. This blows off all the moisture on the evaporated, that is the thing that gets cold, and on all cars, mounted before the heater core, that also get wets.

On warm summer nights,that moisture is wonderful for mold buildup, and that sure stinks, but will never grow on a dry evaporator AND the heater core, double jeopard

Some vehicle would not let me do this, so added a switch in series with the electric compressor clutch to switch it off the the blower at maximum.

Elantra is real easy, this switch off the AC switch about 3-5 minutes before shutting the engine off. Really not necessary during the day, like for stopping for gas or a bite to eat, but definitely for overnight.

They do sell cleaners for this, but really a mess to clean up, and unfortunately on the Elantra, using that very undesireable Ford type evaporator box. Should have copied off of GM or Chrysler, a lot easier to work on.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Another reason why I switch off the AC compressor with the blower at max before driving my vehicle into my garage. Don't like my vehicle's going to the bathroom on my clean garage door floor.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
What's worse. before cabin filters, debris would plug up the drain hose, so your car will go to the bathroom inside of your car.

The output of the evaporator next step was going through a so-called blend door that goes partially through the heater core for temperature control. That debris would keep that blend door partially opened so not much cool air.

Kind of dumb when you think about for temperature control or lack of it and not easy to clean up. Least now the Elantra is using an electronically controlled variable displacement compressor so no more blend door control. Reduces engine load, better fuel economy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
One suggestion to help get rid of the smell. Get a can of lysol disinfectant spray. Run the fan on high with the air conditioning on, the recirculate off, and spray the lysol into the intake vents on the outside of the car (near the windshield wipers at the bottom of the windshield.) If you have any mold or mildew buildup, this will help clear that up. Make sure to run the fan on high for a while with the windows open. Rinse and repeat if you still notice a smell. Good luck!

·
Registered
776 Posts
...Get a can of lysol disinfectant spray. Run the fan on high with the air conditioning on, the recirculate off, and spray the lysol into the intake vents on the outside of the car (near the windshield wipers at the bottom of the windshield.) ...
I have heard of this method being used, and it sounds like a good suggestion. I would also suggest that you make sure that the air is blowing through footwell (heater) outlets as well as the dash vents. My one suggestion would be to have the fan on low rather than high for at least part of the time. It would seem to me that perhaps less of the Lysol spray would be simply blown through the system and out the vents if the fan were set to low.

Also, if you always park your vehicle on an upward incline, you might want to back it in every other time. The drain is at the front, and if you're parked facing upward, you're always going to leave condensate in the system.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Practically all auto supply stores sell products to freshen up and kill mold. But there is also another consideration. Not making evaporators out of brass anymore and some are using corrosive aluminum. Corrosion can eat that evaporator up, and the Elantra uses an evaporator box, meaning the entire dash has to be removed.

If you can go out an play 18 holes of golf, no big deal to roll down your window, switch off the AC switch that kills the compressor, hit your blow switch to maximum just for a couple of minutes. You won't die but will sure save the life of your AC system.

Another stupid thing some auto manufacturers do is to switch on the AC during defrost, so stupid, have relative humidity, and below 60*F almost less than nothing. PAG oil is stiff as is the compressor seal, darn good way to cause leaks and wear out your compressor. Least the Elantra has an AC switch, practically all Japanese cars were this way. Leave it off!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts