Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like my ac isnt cold at some times. I took it too the dealer today for a 3700mile check up and told them of the problem. They gave me a reason with the humidity and something else. It just sometimes doesnt blow really cold air.

Anyone else have this problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I live in the northeast where we've had like a week of 90+ weather with high humidity and I think my AC has been working pretty good. Setting at 72 degrees and auto fan control, I'm pretty comfortable after a couple of minutes if the vents are blowing on me. I've felt better AC systems, but compared to my 03 protege it's pretty great.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ours is pretty cold; I have "colder" in other cars, but it's seldom brutally hot here
in the Mtns of western NC.

I don't run "max" A/C or auto, as I prefer outside air mix, and
regular vented air if it's not hot...

What is a "3700 mile check-up"?
What did dlr do, or "check", and what did they charge you?

A good indie A/C shop might be able to pinpoint a problem
with a few tests for a reasonable price. Then, if the Indie
finds something, I would go back to dlr with knowledge or,
find another dlr, if your A/C is not acceptable.
GL, mD

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (motordavid @ Jun 29 2010, 05:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337226
What is a "3700 mile check-up"?
What did dlr do, or "check", and what did they charge you?

A good indie A/C shop might be able to pinpoint a problem
with a few tests for a reasonable price. Then, if the Indie
finds something, I would go back to dlr with knowledge or,
find another dlr, if your A/C is not acceptable.
GL, mD
No it was free for the first checkup only...I guess it's a dealer special. They check everything out and change oil.

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE (SteveD @ Jun 29 2010, 05:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337231
No it was free for the first checkup only...I guess it's a dealer special. They check everything out and change oil.
Steve,
I only used my A/C twice so far for a little while, it was over 100 degrees today so I put it on to check it, & break it in as well. I did find on my way to the store it seemed to be cooling the car down slower then I thought it should, even on Max A/C, but on the way back I noticed it was way better? and I wasn't even on Max A/C. Then I discovered I had left the drivers window open about 1/2", this made a world of difference, then it dawned on me that this was a trick I learned along the way with A/C on all my cars. I guess with everything buttoned up tight, it sort of restricts the air flow in the vehicle, and taxes the A/C a bit, all was much better once I did this, I was more then satisfied. So, try opening a window, or the sunroof a bit, I hope this helps,
Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
QUOTE (MikDee @ Jul 6 2010, 11:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339409
Steve,
I only used my A/C twice so far for a little while, it was over 100 degrees today so I put it on to check it, & break it in as well. I did find on my way to the store it seemed to be cooling the car down slower then I thought it should, even on Max A/C, but on the way back I noticed it was way better? and I wasn't even on Max A/C. Then I discovered I had left the drivers window open about 1/2", this made a world of difference, then it dawned on me that this was a trick I learned along the way with A/C on all my cars. I guess with everything buttoned up tight, it sort of restricts the air flow in the vehicle, and taxes the A/C a bit, all was much better once I did this, I was more then satisfied. So, try opening a window, or the sunroof a bit, I hope this helps,
Mike

As a resident of Southern Alabama, it does not get much more hot or humid in the summer unless you're in the Florida Keys. That said, I have yet to put my A/C on the "Max A/C" setting (my husband does, though, and it drives me nuts - no need), and have only cranked the dial past 3 on one occasion when I had a back seat full of passengers. The A/C works fantastic, MUCH better than my former car or my husband's vehicle.

When I first start the car, it will blow warm air like most cars do while they warm up. While it's doing that, I roll every window at least halfway down (or leave the doors standing open) so the outside breeze, hot though it is, can start to circulate through the interior. Once the A/C starts blowing cold, I roll up both front windows but leave both back windows cracked about four inches. That seems to let the hot air escape so the A/C just needs to replace it rather than cool and compete with hot, humid "been baking in the car all day" air. Once the temperature starts to decrease noticeably, I roll up the back windows. By the time I'm five-ten minutes down the road, I've usually turned the A/C down to 1 just to maintain the comfy interior temp. If it works in heat and humidity so thick you can literally feel it, I can promise it'll work up North. It wastes a lot less gas, too.

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE (reubj @ Jul 13 2010, 07:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341318
?????
The AC is either On or Off. It doesn't use a bit more gas if the fan is on 1 or 4.
It sure seems to use a lot of gas with the A/C on, it seems like more then my 2005 Tucson LX V6 AWD :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
QUOTE (reubj @ Jul 13 2010, 06:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341318
?????
The AC is either On or Off. It doesn't use a bit more gas if the fan is on 1 or 4.

The last two days have been HOT and I've been running the A/C higher. I filled up the car last Friday, then drove normally on Monday getting 27mpg which is about where I usually fall according to the dash and my own calculations. Tuesday morning through today (so far), I've had the A/C cranked one to two clicks higher than I normally do, and I've dropped to 25 mpg. It continues to fall the harder I run the A/C. Nothing has changed with my driving or the route I take every other day, and I'm traveling the same speeds I always do. This is the same tank of gas as the weekend and Monday; it's not a bad gas scenario.

Perhaps that mpg drop is something else on the car reacting to the heat and it's purely coincidental that the higher I run the A/C, the more the mpg display drops. As soon as I turn it down, mpg display levels off then starts to climb again. If I turn the dial higher, it falls again.

I could be hallucinating, I guess. College wasn't that long ago, and they told me those parties would come back to haunt me someday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had a similar experience. I've had the car for close to 2 months now and on 2 occasions now I've jumped in the car and it hasn't blown cold air.

The first time, it was maybe a tad cooler than it was outside but noticeably not as good as usual. I commute with another guy in the office and he noticed it at the same time I did so I knew I wasn't hallucinating. Then, maybe about 5 minutes into the trip it started blowing cold again and didn't bother me again for a good while.

Then the second time was Tuesday. Weather was sticky and humid and disgusting out... get out of the office, get in the car, turn on the AC and within seconds I feel like my Tucson is sweating in my face. This time was worse than the first. It took maybe 10 minutes before it started, and then it came on for about 30 seconds and then back off, and it repeated in this fashion for about the first 45 minutes of my 1.5 hour commute. But again... once it was working solidly, it stayed on, and hasn't bothered me since. And again, I had the other guy from the office in the car with me. When the weather is as bad out as it was Tuesday, there is no mistaking the lack of AC.

Anyway, my parents got a Tucson after they saw mine and they had an issue where their freon was running low that they got solved when they did their first oil change. I'll need to go in next week or the week after for my first oil change and I will bring it up at that point. I don't think they will find anything though, it is intermittent at best and I really don't think my freon is low as the other 99% of the time I have to turn down the AC within minutes it's so cold. But if I find something I'll let you know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts