Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of people, me included, have to deal with the crappy manual trans they put in this car. Even the newer version with the carbon coated syncros still have problems; just not as bad.

But the problem is grinding in the upper gears especially when shifting fast. Another issue is notchy gear selection or being locked out of gear.

I've tried the factory fluid, Redline Lightweight Shockproof, Redline MTL and Redline MT-85; MT-85 would be the OEM viscosity range.

All are good for a short while and then you are back t where you started.

I have tried some AC Delco Syncromesh 10-4014 and it is performing great and have almost no issues. Issues I do have are slave cylinder related I believe on my car.

It's as thin as the MTL fluid.

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Change the fluid out again using the AC Delco with about 5k miles on it. I usually would have done it sooner to get all the old fluid out.

The drain plugs Hyundai uses are rather cheap. A very thin hex head and it is not metric but 15/16"s. You will chew it up using a 24mm. And Hyundai does not list them anymore????? It's the same drain plug my 2008 Accent uses.

You can get new ones with magnets from KIA but they too are being discontinued.

Part number is Kia PLUG - MAGNET 0081017121 and about $4 each.

I got them here. KiaPartsOverstock.com

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Changed trans oil in my Gen Coupe 6 sp manual.

Out 2L of AC Delco 10-4014 with 150 mL of Ceratec added 2150 ml total
In 2L of AC Delco 10-4014 with 150 mL of Ceratec added 2150 ml total

11860 miles on the fluid.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Stick with the OE recommended or TSB'd fluids...Synchromesh tends to be too thin and I haven't seen GL4 on it's label. Synchromesh is also not synthetic. I would stick with a GL4 and step down a visc grade.

Ceratec has no testing on the various synchro materials used in manual transmissions. With a GL4, wear isn't an issue so addtives aren't needed.

Magnetic drainplug is a common sized used by Toyota, Honda, older Cummins, Porsche... Get a goldplug or dimpleplug. With the Honda drain plug, no socket is needed since it's a 3/8" square that any 3/8 ratchet can remove without a socket.

Make sure shifter/pedal are lubed and adjusted correctly, and hydraulics bled often. Practice 1, 2, or 3 finger fingertip shifts. The only thing on your shift knob should be fingerprints...not the palm or length of finger. Snowflakes should exercise hands/fingers/wrists, and self gratification doesn't count.

The fastest shifts are when you guide the shifter and let the transmission shift by itself. Forced speed shifting will slow you down and crunch. RPM matching is best but emissions controlled engine deceleration delay causes upshift problems. Downshifts need a rpm matching throttle blip.

Best aftermarket improvement that I've seen are lighter flywheels since you are shifting against engine rpm and flywheel momentum. Since the drivetrain rocks too much on soft mounts, aftermarket engine/transmission/diff mounts reduce slack that limits shifter capability. So, 2nd best mod is modified or aftermarket mount, bushings, or inserts.

Start here:
https://www.builtlean.com/2014/02/10/grip-strength-exercises/amp/
Prohands : Products : Gripmaster : Hand Exercisers : Prohands, Via, Gripmaster, Pro, Hand Exercisers, Flexibility, Dexterity, Strength
Hand Helper Products: Ultimate Hand Helper
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrist_roller

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll say the Ceratec made a big difference in the smoothness. I'm on the second treatment with a 6% mix. Then I will go \two changes without and repeat.

I'm so impressed by the product I also added it to the oil on both my cars. You will pick up at least 1 mpg easily.

A twice treatment back to back is good for 50k miles or more .

https://products.liqui-moly.com/cera-tec-1.html

As far as the AC Delco 10-4014 fluid, I had a thread on Bob is the oil guy about the grinding of this transmission. The 6 sp manual Hyundai made is a clone of one VW used in some model of Porsche and they had the same issue. The AC Delco was the preferred fluid for them. I'm Shoz on that site.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4249177/1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts