Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I need your experts to help me out please.

I have been told my Ac compressor is bad, and it would cost me 1,000 for the new compressor installed along with the expansion valve. so i just bought a used compressor from junk yard and the shop told me that i also need a receiver drier, however if i want to change the receiver drier i have to change the whole condenser since the receiver drier is within the condenser.....

Well the reason my compressor went bad is because i put too much freon gas, not because of a leak.

Do i really need to change out the condenser as well in order to change the receiver drier? I heard that if there wasnt any leak i dont have to since debris cant get there, but i also have been told it is safer.... i am confused

So my question is , DO i need to get a new conderser in order to install a compressor? Thanks

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
If the compressor exploded internally and sent debris through the system... good luck.. you'll never get all the trash out of it..

Best advice is replace the entire system..

If it did explode, trash will go from compressor to the condensor first, and will clog the drier (restriction now)... so you will need to do what ever it takes to clear restriction there.. anything that makes it past the drier will foul the small orifice of the expannsion valve, restriction again, and no cooling in the evaporator..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Jul 26 2010, 12:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344868
If the compressor exploded internally and sent debris through the system... good luck.. you'll never get all the trash out of it..

Best advice is replace the entire system..

If it did explode, trash will go from compressor to the condensor first, and will clog the drier (restriction now)... so you will need to do what ever it takes to clear restriction there.. anything that makes it past the drier will foul the small orifice of the expannsion valve, restriction again, and no cooling in the evaporator..
Thank you Sir,

So if the compressor's cluth went bad or just failed, it is okay to not change the condenser, however if it exploded, i need to change..
Is there any way to find out whether it exploed or just went bad?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
What is the specific problem that leads you to thing compressor replacement...

Clutch parts is serviceable -> pulley, drive plate, and field coil

Compressor internal failure is replacement of compressor and clean up of affected components..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Jul 26 2010, 01:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344879
What is the specific problem that leads you to thing compressor replacement...

Clutch parts is serviceable. Compressor is repplacement..
Ac doesnt blow the cold ac, took it to the shop, it was low on freon, they recharged, it didnt get cold, so they said the compressor is bad, so trying to replace the compressor + expansion valve, and possibly the condenser, since the receiver drier is in the condenser..... But i am confused if i absolutely have to change the condenser. What are the circumstanced that i have to change the condenser if i have to

1 - 8 of 8 Posts