Hyundai Forums banner

AC Compressor bearing replacement

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  old n’ slow 
#1 ·
noticed rumbling/grinding noise when driving car or idling and initially thought it was the water pump or ac compressor. I isolated noise to the ac compressor using a mechanics stethoscope. My ac works fine and there is no difference in noise if ac is switched on or off.

Has anyone had experience replacing the bearing with ac compressor still on the car? I don't want to have to mess with discharge/re-charging ac. Id like to try using a puller to remove pulley and press in a new bearing since my ac compressor is running fine.

#2 ·
used puller to remove pulley from ac compressor then hit bearing with a hammer and socket to get bearing out. in the process the friction material on the pulley broke off in pieces. In hindsight, I should have used a hydraulic press to press out the bearing. My plan is to get a used pulley at the junkyard when it is a warm day.

I bypassed the ac compressor with a shorter serpentine belt I got at auto zone. I'm running the Duralast Belt 670K6 belt
until spring when I get a chance to rebuild the ac pulley with a new bearing and reinstall the correct belt to run the ac again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.