Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Sonata 4 cylinder FWD
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, this is my first post and I'm stumped. After bringing in my 2006 Sonata (2.4L) for an ABS recall, my AC stopped working. The dealer said they didn't do anything to the AC and it stopped working after driving away. They also said compressors just go out sometimes after diagnosis.

I've put in 2 compressors since, and still no compressor clutch engaged. I've also replaced the AC relay switch and still no clutch engagement. I've bypassed the switch with a jumper wire and the clutch engages. I've bench tested the compressor and each compressor performed fine. I've looked into replacing the pressure switch, but I'm not too familiar with that.

What am I missing? Help please . . .

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Without service manual I'm certainly not certain as to how the clutch wiring is run.
Don't know whether you checked for power at the plug, but guess one must start from the clutch (after checking power at plug) and work their way back to see where the power terminates before getting to the clutch.

Also check if any power on the other side of the plug to be certain no problem with plug.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
You did check the fuse?
Looking at the schematic, it looks as if power from the relay goes directly to the compressor, so check the compressor plug for continuity, on both side of the plug, then if no power, check the relay, both in and out.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,953 Posts
Looking at the schematic, it looks as if power from the relay goes directly to the compressor
Yeah, and bypassing the relay switch makes the compressor engage, so the fuse really has to be OK.

Radosevich said:
What am I missing?
Personally, I wouldn't even bother trying to diagnose the electrical part of the system until I'd checked the gas pressures are correct. The control logic will prevent the compressor from engaging if the gas pressure is out of spec. So you might be chasing an electrical fault that doesn't even exist. Those are a real nightmare to diagnose :laugh:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Yeah, and bypassing the relay switch makes the compressor engage, so the fuse really has to be OK.
You are assuming a jumper was placed across the relay, but if power came from another source directly to the clutch, wouldn't matter whether a fuse was present or not.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother trying to diagnose the electrical part of the system until I'd checked the gas pressures are correct. The control logic will prevent the compressor from engaging if the gas pressure is out of spec. So you might be chasing an electrical fault that doesn't even exist. Those are a real nightmare to diagnose :laugh:
Certainly the most obvious is generally overlooked and after this post I started wondering how he could replace the compressor (twice) and no clutch engagement, and just assumed gas was added, but .........................

1 - 6 of 6 Posts