Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 Tiburon recently started having ac issues and its still pretty warm in TX. The ac will work as normal when I turn it on and its idling. The air is as cold as it should be, but when I start driving at it will stop cooling. As I slow down for a stop it will sometimes begin cooling only to stop when I get going again. I saw today that the clutch is engaging initially, but when I would rev up to around 3000 RPM the clutch would disengage completely. I wondered if the refrigerant might be low, but when it does cool, the air seems as cold as it should be. Could a compressor relay sometimes work and other times not? Thank you all for any advice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like it is low on freon, or there is a blockage somewhere. The best advise would be to have a professional look at it.... then get a second opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I was having troubles with the A/C clutch disengaging, I had not noticed that the engine was running hot. It turns out that there was a hole in my radiator and it was over heating. Since the engine's radiator is butted up against the A/C radiator I suppose that the A/C's freon was not cooling through the radiator as it should and this was causing the pressure in the lines to be too high. I guess that there is some kind of sensor that shuts down the compressor to avoid damage. I don't know this for sure, only guessing. Is this the case? Anyhow, after I fix the car's radiator the A/C started working properly again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts