Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my first trip with the new Santa Fe. After 400 mile today, while just 50 miles from Vegas, the A/C blower quit working. It souned like it was blowing as normal but almost no air was coming from the vents. Being just 50 miles out I pushed on.

After arriving home (only 98º today luckily) I turned off the car and unloaded. After about 20 minutes, I started the car and the A/C and blower seemed fine. I looked at the ground and about a pint of water (at least it looked and felt like water I did not taste it) seemed to leak after I started it from the center of the car about even with the front door.

What happened ? Any cause for alarm ?

Thanks in advance,

DPVegas

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
It souned like it was blowing as normal but almost no air was coming from the vents.
A damper stuck in the wrong position.

Likely the air was coming out the defrost vents by the windshield or the heater vents on the floor......or both.

Often turning the system OFF and back on will cure it........for a while. Whether it will happen again is anybody's guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The air was definitely not blowing into the cabin. Got really hot in there.
I went to the dealer and they said to leave it and someone would look at it probably tomorrow afternoon.
I asked for a loaner and they said they didn't want to do that since I would get stuck with the cost of car rental if they could not diagnose a factory warranty issue. They also said if they could not diagnose a factory warranty issue I would have to pay the $110 diagnostic fee.

Since I drove 400 miles today before it happened , I doubt they can duplicate the issue and I will be out $110 and the use of the car for days.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
They also said if they could not diagnose a factory warranty issue I would have to pay the $110 diagnostic fee.
That is total crap and you should NOT stand still for it. :mad:

You should be on the phone to Hyundai corporate and maybe the BBB if there is a branch in your area.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Take out your cabin filter and see if you have a napkin stuck in there. My wife use to keep a stack of napkins in the glove box of my Sonata and the same thing happen to me. The dealer said a napkin was sucked out of the glove box and was blocking the filter. So no more napkins in the glovebox for the Sonata and the new Santa Fe. Hope that is all it is for you. Worth the check.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Maybe try the cabin filter out all together. Atleast buy a new one to make sure it's not plugged or anything. It's a cheap fix.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have had the exact same problem!!!!! I went to the dealer and they told me that the A/C liquid (freon), was to low............. It's been 3 weeks now and everything seems to be ok.... But will see!

·
Registered
60 Posts
They told me that there was no leak and it was probably when they build the truck.......... i'm really not shure about that! Will see!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to dredge up a year old thread, but this is all the search button got me... And I was wondering if you've had this issue again, or they found a resolution?

I just had this very same issue today with the wife's 2014 2.0T with 4,500 miles on the ODO. AC has been fine since new, then we took a 600 mile trip in 95 deg temps. Car did fine until the return trip. I started noticing the temps climbing inside the car despite the AC settings not being changed. The fan could be heard at all different speeds but barely a trickle out the vents. Went through all the settings a bunch of times with no luck. Finally at a gas station I pulled the cabin filter and it felt like the air was back flowing out the vent rather than being sucked into it. Like there was an obstruction below the fan. I fiddled around with it and somehow managed to get it blowing again but then something started dripping water on my foot from above the pedals. Any ideas?

·
Registered
262 Posts
. Car did fine until the return trip. I started noticing the temps climbing inside the car despite the AC settings not being changed. The fan could be heard at all different speeds but barely a trickle out the vents. Went through all the settings a bunch of times with no luck. Finally at a gas station I pulled the cabin filter and it felt like the air was back flowing out the vent rather than being sucked into it. Like there was an obstruction below the fan. . Any ideas?
Sounds like the evaporator core froze. Was it very humid out? Was the A/C on recirculate or fresh air?

If it happens again you can turn the A/C off for 5 minutes with only the blower on. Then restart the A/C and the ice will be melted. Try to use the recirculate button when on long trips.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like the evaporator core froze. Was it very humid out? Was the A/C on recirculate or fresh air?

If it happens again you can turn the A/C off for 5 minutes with only the blower on. Then restart the A/C and the ice will be melted. Try to use the recirculate button when on long trips.
I'm not sure about the humidity, we were on a trip from Denver to OKC, driving across Kansas when this happened. Temps were about 95 outside (AC set on about 72~73). I know the recirculate light was on, because we were running the AC in Auto mode, and that always lights up in Auto mode (which is strange to me, I think it should be the opposite). I suppose it could have been froze up, it's just strange that it didn't do that on the trip to Denver the week before. Hopefully the wife wont have to deal with it again, because I will hear about it... being that I'm the one that suggested this car as a replacement for her worn out RX350

·
Registered
11 Posts
JasonlMarsh. You have a problem with the evaporator freezing. You just described the classic symptoms. I answered your other post about the water drops on your feet. BINGO! You're not draining the condensation from the evaporator out of the HVAC box fast enough and the evaporator is turning into a block of ice As I mentioned in my other post to your other question - you need to find the restriction in the drain from the box. The more humidity, the quicker the evap will ice up. Find the drain and make sure it's 100% clear. One thought comes to mind: This is a 2014 model year. It is possible the HVAC case has a piece of "flashing" there from when the box was molded. Just a thought. The fix is probably simple, but it can cause major problems and drive you nuts!!! BTW, I do a lot of AC work. Good Luck.. Jack

·
22,788 Posts
How can a napkin get into that cabin air filter slot? My Elantra's cabin air filter fits snugly inside it slot and has a snap-in cover over it. I guess I don't get it. Are Santa Fe cabin filters vulnerable to outside influences (like a napkin) from the glove box?

Probably something I need explained to me. Maybe sucked in thru those little flaps on the cover bracket during recirculate mode? Interesting.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts