Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On two recent, longer than average trips in ~80 degr/high humidity weather, we noticed after about 90 minutes of interstate driving with perfectly good cooling, the AC air flow would fall off to nearly zero (on the highest blower setting) with nothing changing on the control lights. Air still felt quite cool to the hand, but flow was almost gone and the cabin temp started to rise noticeably.

After parking the Sport for about an hour+, when we start up and turn AC back on high, the air was as strong/cold as when the car was new. For short trips, AC performance is good. Cabin air filter was replace about 5-8000 miles ago. It only seems to happen on longer trips.

This Santa Fe has run perfectly pretty much for 60,000 miles and performance/engineering is very good ... just wish we had the sense to get the backup cam.

All thoughts, comments and suggestions greatly appreciated!

Bruce

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
The evaporator sensor is probably bad. Seems a common problem. Not expensive and is DIYsable if you want. It's not shutting the compressor off when the evaporator hits 38F or so and ice is forming.

·
Registered
33 Posts
1- check if the carpeting under the glove box is wet or any water dripping, if so, then you have a plugged drain which could restrict airflow. clean the drain hose from under the car using a wire.

2- The evaporator could be freezing up which could be due to evaporator sensor, or the A/C refrigerant level is low, or dirty evaporator.

I suggest you start by checking you A/C refrigerant level.

Cheers

·
Registered
2018 Santa Fe Sport Limited 2.0T AWD
336 Posts
Count me in as on those with similar issues to OP. 2018 SFS Limited with just over 1000kms on it. It was 30 degrees celsius with lots of humidity. I drove for 45 minutes with it set at 20 degrees celsius at 1/3 fan speed. It was fine. I was parked for maybe 10 minutes waiting for a friend with the same settings. It was fine. I drove another 45 minutes back home and noticed it was getting warm and muggy in the cabin. I dropped the temp and raised the fan speed 2/3 and then full blast and it was not getting any colder. When the fan was turned up, it sounded like most of the ventilation was coming from the passenger side front windshield area...as if something was blocking the flow of air.

I’ll take the car in at it’s first oil change and will get them to also check this out.

Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts