Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I have a 2013 Accent SE 6 Spd Auto.

I have a question related to the braking system in this car. I live here in Colorado and it's been snowing lately. I drive to work about 7 miles a day and 3 times now this car has done some weird stuff.

These things are as followed

1. depending on how far you push the pedal down it will start this pulse feeling on my foot and will sound like a grinding noise as it does this.

2. this doesn't help it stop it actually makes it where the brake pedal sticks down.

3. the car keeps moving and i have to avoid being hit sometimes.

4. it did this on ice once and locked the entire car up.

I have turned off TCS and it seems to help a bit but doesn't stop it. Can anyone inform me if this is normal. This car is brand new and doesn't even have 2,000 miles on it. Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
The idea behind ABS is to keep the car traveling in a straight line while stopping or to allow turning without losing control due to skidding. The chattering is normal. I have felt the same thing.

·
Registered
907 Posts
How fast are you driving that you have to slam on your brakes in the snow???

That grinding you're feeling is to be expected.

Another thing, too, is that the grinding may be the result of snow getting between the brake pad and rotor. This happened to me when I lightly pressed on my brakes during a heavy rainstorm as I was driving over a pool of water. Only one side of my car exhibited that grinding noise, so I knew it was water getting squished between the rotor and pad.

But above all, drive much slower than you normally would.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
As doneill314 and mrmr256 point out, the ABS chattering is normal.. Also, it's normal for the pedal to sink and feel a little dead.

If you still have the stock Kumho 195/50-16 tires on, I'm guessing your actual problem is poor tire traction. They don't provide the best traction in ice and snow.

·
Registered
102 Posts
ABS does not shorten your stopping distances. In fact, in deep snow, it may somewhat lengthen your stopping distance.

ABS is designed to allow one to remain in directional control of the vehicle while engaging the brakes. It does this by rapidly pulsing the brakes until it no longer detects wheel lockup. The pulsating is much more rapid that one could ever effect by pumping the brakes. The side effect is a nasty grinding noise that sounds as though the wheel bearings and brake pads decided to have a hot tub party in an active blender.

Slow down, get snow tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply everyone. And I promise that I am not going fast I go 30mph tops in heavy snow. Just here the snow gets really packed in neighborhoods which is when it happens and yes I am using the stock tires. Glad to hear it's not just me I came from a 97 civic which had no abs or Tcs lol so I'm not used to all these things yet I guess but yea I'm not going fast I try to be as light on the brakes as I can

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
If you live in an area that sees regular snow and ice accumulation (I see Colorado Springs, I'm guessing yes), I'd strongly suggest looking into some dedicated winter tires. My Elantra was useless in even light slush with the stock tires but a set of four studless winter tires (on dedicated steel rims) have totally transformed the way it handles.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+WS70

·
Registered
31 Posts
As mention above, if you are still on the 14" stock tires get rid of them. They are terrible in the snow. They should be called 3 season tires.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I find the Accent's ABS to be downright scary. I park on a hill and though I'm going very slow and conditions are not icy, the ABS will freak out at the bottom of this hill sometimes at the stop sign. It's a pretty steep hill, and sand and gravel can wash out into the street, and wet leaves may accumulate there and my GS has the skinny 175-70-14 tires. So there are factors present that could explain why the car thinks it's in a panic braking situation. But when I say I'm going slow, I mean coasting downhill in 2nd with my foot on the brakes most of the way. Below 15mph. My previous car never deployed the ABS going down this hill that I can remember. Or if it did, it didn't sound like the car was shredding its gearbox into a pile of steel splinters the way my Accent does when the ABS engages. The first time I heard it, I thought the car was destroying itself. If there had been an actual emergency going on, I might have panicked and done something really stupid.

If I lived someplace where snow and ice was routine, I would buy whatever baddazz winter tire was necessary to get through the season and avoid ever hearing that sound. Nokian WRG2 or Michelin X-ice, or something hardcore like that. The ABS system doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me so far. It sounds like you've already had a couple of close calls.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I find the Accent's ABS to be downright scary. I park on a hill and though I'm going very slow and conditions are not icy, the ABS will freak out at the bottom of this hill sometimes at the stop sign. It's a pretty steep hill, and sand and gravel can wash out into the street, and wet leaves may accumulate there and my GS has the skinny 175-70-14 tires. So there are factors present that could explain why the car thinks it's in a panic braking situation. But when I say I'm going slow, I mean coasting downhill in 2nd with my foot on the brakes most of the way. Below 15mph. My previous car never deployed the ABS going down this hill that I can remember. Or if it did, it didn't sound like the car was shredding its gearbox into a pile of steel splinters the way my Accent does when the ABS engages. The first time I heard it, I thought the car was destroying itself. If there had been an actual emergency going on, I might have panicked and done something really stupid.

If I lived someplace where snow and ice was routine, I would buy whatever baddazz winter tire was necessary to get through the season and avoid ever hearing that sound. Nokian WRG2 or Michelin X-ice, or something hardcore like that. The ABS system doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me so far. It sounds like you've already had a couple of close calls.
I have. I hit a patch of ice going REALLY slow and the ABS FREAKED. Started that nasty sound then almost slid into the curb it stopped right before I hit it and I was able to control the car away from it. And to all the people saying to get the winter tires I agree these tires have no grip and also I have the 16" is that gonna be a problem?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't recall ever experiencing the issue with the sound. I have had ABS kick in a few times, but have only driven in snow on three occasions.

In the snow it was super low speed and I was mostly drifting anyways and not doing much in the way of stopping (on purpose, didn't want to get stuck).

The times I've had it kick in other than that were as follows:

Once on dry pavement, stopped so fast I think I may have gone through the windshield without a seat-belt

Twice on wet roads, stopped really well the first time but the second time was such a close call I don't remember much other than the fact that I stopped in time. -- Driver two lanes to the left decided to gun it into my lane at an intersection from a stop, I was doing 35-40 mph coming off an exit ramp into what had been an empty lane.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Yeah these Accents suck in the snow. I almost got stuck in 3-4 inches of snow :eek: This is a strictly warm climate only car :mad: #honorable design

The ABS and Traction Control on this car is a joke.

Seems like Hyundai didn't even test these cars(accent) in the snow or rain before making them lol

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yeah these Accents suck in the snow. I almost got stuck in 3-4 inches of snow :eek: This is a strictly warm climate only car :mad: #honorable design

The ABS and Traction Control on this car is a joke.

Seems like Hyundai didn't even test these cars(accent) in the snow or rain before making them lol
I hate to disagree! :D
I have a 2013 Accent, live out in the country and have put about 70,000 kms on it going through a winter and a quarter so far.
Oh, did I mention that I live in Canada that seems to have a growing snow and ice season! It may soon be as long as our construction season.

The Accent on the tires that come with it sucks in the snow, put a set of snow tires on it and it is just great.
Like most cars tires make the car and for snow and ice you cannot beat a good set of snow tires.
Last winter I kind of got stuck once but that was because I sort of eased into my driveway which had 18" of snow in it, a snow plow it does not make.
The Accent is light and won't handle what my Jeep will but then my Jeep weights a lot more and drinks at least twice as much gas and had 4wd.

I am not a huge fan of the traction control but then I know how to deal with the conditions but since my Accent has heated seats I can live with the traction control.

Having said all this I realize that many people don't live in snow country and it seems like snow and ice are moving south so you are having learn to deal with it. I good set of all seasons may be a good compromise. Since I worn out my original tires I put a set of those on and have found them to be a good compromise. They are a little noisy and not a good on gas but the improvement in traction makes up for it.
Where I live and with my commute I wouldn't go through the winter with them but if I live further south outside of the snow belt they would be fine.

As to ABS, cars have had this for years now and it is a great improvement over sliding straight ahead with your wheel turn fully over! It may not be perfect but it does allow you some control when you lock everything up!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think you will find that most people agree that the stock tires are no good on snow and ice. Almost any snow+ice tire will make a noticeable improvement.

Now to your specific issues:
1. I wouldn't characterize the ABS or ESC as "grinding". Pulsating or chatter better fits how mine sounds. My Accent's ABS doesn't sound much different from the other cars I've driven.

2. ABS does not make you stop any faster, but it allows you to maintain control. The pedal should not "stick".

3. On ice, the only thing that will slow you down is a better tire that's designed for snow & ice.

4. Not sure what you mean by "locked the entire car up". If you mean that the car would no longer move, like the breaks were still applied, then there is a problem. If you mean that the engine died, that too should not happen with an auto trans.

To me it sounds like you may have an issue. Call your dealer and arrange to show them what happens when the next snow/ice event happens.

·
Banned
18 Posts
I hate to disagree! :D
I have a 2013 Accent, live out in the country and have put about 70,000 kms on it going through a winter and a quarter so far.
Oh, did I mention that I live in Canada that seems to have a growing snow and ice season! It may soon be as long as our construction season.

The Accent on the tires that come with it sucks in the snow, put a set of snow tires on it and it is just great.
Like most cars tires make the car and for snow and ice you cannot beat a good set of snow tires.
Last winter I kind of got stuck once but that was because I sort of eased into my driveway which had 18" of snow in it, a snow plow it does not make.
The Accent is light and won't handle what my Jeep will but then my Jeep weights a lot more and drinks at least twice as much gas and had 4wd.

I am not a huge fan of the traction control but then I know how to deal with the conditions but since my Accent has heated seats I can live with the traction control.

Having said all this I realize that many people don't live in snow country and it seems like snow and ice are moving south so you are having learn to deal with it. I good set of all seasons may be a good compromise. Since I worn out my original tires I put a set of those on and have found them to be a good compromise. They are a little noisy and not a good on gas but the improvement in traction makes up for it.
Where I live and with my commute I wouldn't go through the winter with them but if I live further south outside of the snow belt they would be fine.

As to ABS, cars have had this for years now and it is a great improvement over sliding straight ahead with your wheel turn fully over! It may not be perfect but it does allow you some control when you lock everything up!
Dam, now i gotta invest in tires now lol. But my lease is almost over :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts