Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a trip to Moab two days ago and was returning on 50 near Olathe. A car pulled out right in front of me as I was going 65 MPH. I stood on the brakes and must have missed him/her by an inch or less going by then around 10mph. If I hadn't had ABS there is no way I could have avoided hitting that car. Several years ago I hit a deer in my Mazda. I had almost flat tires and thumped thumped my way to California. I don't think I would buy another vehicle without ABS again.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Ups and downs with ABS..

It will give you some steering control during panic stop without tires skidding... Drawback at times if it is activated, stopping distance can increase... WHAM !

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Sep 24 2010, 10:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358471
Ups and downs with ABS..

It will give you some steering control during panic stop without tires skidding... Drawback at times if it is activated, stopping distance can increase... WHAM !
From what I've read, there could be increased stopping times in wet/snowy/loose gravel conditions, but this was on a dry concrete major highway and in that case there is a slightly shorter stopping distance. I was also able to steer slightly to the right as I was stopping. I could never have done that (in my panic) without ABS. Remember, I missed him by less than an inch.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Bet ya they didn't even know/care how close to death they had come, huh? Glad you're alright. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
154 Posts
QUOTE (johnaauld @ Sep 24 2010, 10:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358468
Took a trip to Moab two days ago and was returning on 50 near Olathe. A car pulled out right in front of me as I was going 65 MPH. I stood on the brakes and must have missed him/her by an inch or less going by then around 10mph. If I hadn't had ABS there is no way I could have avoided hitting that car. Several years ago I hit a deer in my Mazda. I had almost flat tires and thumped thumped my way to California. I don't think I would buy another vehicle without ABS again.
I with you on that about ABS. My '01 Accent probably would have been able to stop and wouldn't have been totaled if I had ABS.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Yup, me too. I've gotten on the brakes both in my Santa and the wife's Tucson tight enough to activate the ABS. It tends to keep the blood pressure from spiking quite so high. The bumpbumpbump is what I want to feel when I need it.

The Santa has AWD, which also gives a feeling of security. And I used the stability control the first time on the Tucson when an inattentive driver in a white BMW (duh!) pulled out in front of me one dark, rainy night. Technology is good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts