Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ABS light and traction lights are on on my Sonata. Now this happened after I had someone installed my driver cv axle, I don't know how to make it go away or how to fix it, since I bought the car from a buy here pay here they don't deal with that, and also had the engine light come on and turned out to be the abs control module which I don't know if it has to do with he ans light being on. How can this be fixed? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How can I scan this? I didn't get the car from Hyundai, I got it from a buy here pay here, and the auto parts here don't scan for abs only check engine lights

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
You will have to find someone with a tool capable of scanning the ABS. There's plenty on the market and most workshps have them. Maybe take it back to the place that fitted the shaft.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will have to find someone with a tool capable of scanning the ABS. There's plenty on the market and most workshps have them. Maybe take it back to the place that fitted the shaft.
it was my cousins friend that did that. Will they charge for this?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm not familiar with the design of the ABS sensors on the Sonata but on some cars the sensor is part of the hub assembly so it's possible it was in fact damaged during the axle shaft replacement. It could be something as simple as a connector left unplugged. A visual inspection my reveal the problem.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,977 Posts
Will they charge for this?
That will probably depend on what they find when they scan it.
If they find a trouble code relating to the wheel they were just working on I'd hope they wouldn't charge you. If they find a fault unrelated to the work that they just done (unlikely) they probably will charge you.

BTW, the fault might not be the sensor. If they replaced the driveshaft with an aftermarket one that could be the cause of the problem. If the replacement shaft had no ABS tone wheel, or a tone wheel with the wrong number of teeth that would cause the ABS/ESC warning lights to come on. You'd need to have a test drive carried out while monitoring the output from the 4 wheel speed sensors on the scan tool data list to know if it's a sensor or a tone wheel issue.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That will probably depend on what they find when they scan it.
If they find a trouble code relating to the wheel they were just working on I'd hope they wouldn't charge you. If they find a fault unrelated to the work that they just done (unlikely) they probably will charge you.

BTW, the fault might not be the sensor. If they replaced the driveshaft with an aftermarket one that could be the cause of the problem. If the replacement shaft had no ABS tone wheel, or a tone wheel with the wrong number of teeth that would cause the ABS/ESC warning lights to come on. You'd need to have a test drive carried out while monitoring the output from the 4 wheel speed sensors on the scan tool data list to know if it's a sensor or a tone wheel issue.

Its the one with the abs because the the only one autozone sells, they checked for me, so I got the right one, and whos they? My cousins friend was the one that replaced the cv axle. Now if I take it to a shop to scan for the abs, will they charge or is that free?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,977 Posts
My cousins friend was the one that replaced the cv axle. Now if I take it to a shop to scan for the abs, will they charge or is that free?
Most likely they will charge you for diagnosing the fault. They may take that diagnostic fee off the repair bill if you have the shop fix the fault. That's what I would do anyway. I wouldn't be diagnosing the fault for free if your cousins friend was going to get the repair job.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most likely they will charge you for diagnosing the fault. They may take that diagnostic fee off the repair bill if you have the shop fix the fault. That's what I would do anyway. I wouldn't be diagnosing the fault for free if your cousins friend was going to get the repair job.

he will not be doing anything in my car anymore. Man this sounds like it’s going to be expensive.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Maybe maybe not. As you have mentioned he may have not plugged the cable in. He may have the skills to check it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts