1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have it narrowed down to 2. Both are 2007

3.3L V6 SE- listed at $17,950 34K miles VIN: 5NMSH13E57H053124
2.7L V6 GLS- listed at $15,888 48K miles VIN: 5NMSG13DX7H052366

What would be a good asking price for these, Cincinnati,OH? How can I check if they have been serviced. Thanks for checking them out for me.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Those prices seem a bit high to me, but pricing is dependent on the area/demand, etc. FWIW I paid $14900 for my 2008 GLS AWD 2.7L w/ 39Kmi in Sept 2009. BUT, I am this vehicle's 3rd owner. It was a rental first, then privately owned, then sold to me through a Buick, GMC, Caddy dealership. After almost a year and 53K total on the ticker, I still absolutely love mine. The 2.7L, 4spd auto can be a bit underpowered if the vehicle is loaded, but it's not horribly underpowered. I am pretty much the only one in it, so it's a non-issue for me. I consistently average 23mpg tank/tank with the nearly all hywy travel I do. The 2.7L and F4A51 4spd auto have been around FOREVER and are an extremely reliable old-schoolish drivetrain. You rarely hear of problems with it like you do with the newer larger V6's and 5/6spd autos. Regardless, you can't go wrong with any configuration. If the price was right, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the 3.3L / 5spd auto either.

Joel

·
Registered
756 Posts
QUOTE (tonycincy85 @ Jul 30 2010, 06:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346110
How can I check if they have been serviced.
Good question, I would be very interested in the answer.
I got my santy from a dealer with 32k mls, i assumed the 30k service was done.
I took the santy to another dealer for the fuel gauge repair the other day and they say I need to do the 30k mls service. Is that possible???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good Day Guys,

Hey Tonycincy85, check this web site;

http://autos.msn.com/Default.aspx

It's really complete you should get everything you're looking for.
I live in Canada so i don't know about the prices even if it looks a little high !!
But i would go for the 3.3 apparently it's less expensive on fuel on the highway because of the 4 speed.

Hope it will help

Sylvain

·
Registered
90 Posts
All else being equal, get the 3.3. The 2.7 is woefully underpowered with any kind of load (aka passengers).

The SE should also have some nice upgrades over the GLS.

I agree with the others that those prices seem a bit on the high side but it depends on your area, condition of the vehicle and any incentives the dealer is offering such as a warranty of their own.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we are leaning towards the 3.3, demand seems a little low now, car has been on the lot for 2 months. I'm thinking about $14,900 max, going to start by asking $4k off the bat. no extra incentives, just the standard remaining warranty.

·
1,914 Posts
Go for the 3.3,you won't regret it. I'm looking at selling or trading my 08 SE with 40k on it. I was going to ask $15,000 for it, maybe I should ask more. I'm assuming these are dealers?

·
Registered
947 Posts
QUOTE (tonycincy85 @ Jul 31 2010, 07:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346416
2.7L is now at $14,500, I'm thinking if we can get it at $12K you think I would regret not getting the 3.3L?

Did you drive both to judge for yourself? Neither engine is a super mega powerhouse. Long term maintenance wise, the 3.3L won't require a timing belt change since it uses a chain. Other than that, I ain't buying the 3.3L is more "refined". It's the the same technology engine as the 2007+ 2.7L. Like said, the 3.3L will give you a 5spd auto as opposed to the 4spd with the 2.7L, so you'll have a slightly lower first gear and a higher top gear. The 3.3L was probably a larger sales number drivetrain, with the 2.7L more for fleet and rental sales. The 2.7L, 4spd auto is a tried and true drivetrain that's been around a long time. I truly enjoy mine. Would I go with the 3.3L/5spd AT if it was the same price as a comparable 2.7L? Sure I would. If I could save a cpl grand by going with the 2.7L, that's the way I would personally go.

Joel

·
1,914 Posts
2.7 is a very proven engine. The 3.3 has only been out since 05 when it debuted in the 06 Sonata. It seems to have proven itself as well. The 3.3 will get better gas mileage than the 2.7 since it has 5 speeds. It has the power to pull you when you need it and it's just a smoother, quieter engine.

I think you will regret not going for the 3.3. Have you driven both?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
When I worked for a car dealer in the early 1990s, most used cars had a $3,000 to $4,000 markup built into the asking price. Profit margins are much bigger on used cars than new cars. I'm guessing $13,000 to $15,000 is a realistic retail price for the '07s in question.

·
Registered
132 Posts
$12,000 is a decent offer on the GLS...I have a GLS and at almost 50K miles it has been super reliable and good on gas. Call me crazy but I've driven a 3.3 and I feel the 2.7 is a little quieter and just as smooth, just not as powerful. I've never wished I had more when passing or merging into traffic. Either way you choose you're getting a great vehicle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my wife prefers the 2.7 over the 3.3, she thinks it's smoother. doesn't matter to me, she will be driving it 90% of the time. We have it narrowed down to 2. Both are 2007, one has AWD the other FWD. Are there any additional maintenance cost on the AWD? Unfortunately, both are at Chevy dealers so we can't get it certified. They both have 48K miles on them. Should we keep looking for a certified or not. This coming weekend, we will be driving one home.

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE (tonycincy85 @ Aug 5 2010, 08:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347291
Looks like you might still want comments, so I'll pitch in. I bought a 2008 2.7 AWD in March 2009 (over a year ago). I paid $17999 and the car had 9400 mile on it. It was a 6 month corporate lease previously, a lot of the 2.7s went to rental companies that know what they are doing and wanted the 2.7. I really wanted the AWD and 95% of the time it is just me in the car so I wasn't as concerned about the 2.7 engine and this allowed me to get one a lot cheaper.

My comments on it, the car has been almost flawless thus far, just had to replace the door seals. Yes, the 2.7 does rev up when you get 3 people and their stuff for a trip on board and want to pass, but the power is still good enough if you ask me, certainly no problem with just one person on board. I never feel like I need more. The transmission has been super smooth and a pleasure to drive, no thunks bumps or funny shifts. The AWD has been through one Winter in Wisconsin so far, and I really like it, it is much better in the snow than my previous vehicle which was a F150 4WD truck because each wheel is independently driven so you never lose control; I'd much rather have the Santa Fe. Supposedly the AWD saps 1 MPG from your mileage, but there is no extra work to maintain it or anything. The stock tires are not that good, and I can tell that they would do better in the snow with something else, and if you are looking at one with 48K and still has the stock tires you will be replacing them very soon so factor that in to your offer right away.

For mileage I pretty typically get about 20.4 around town using the AC and with some stop and go, and it will maybe hit 25 on the highway on a trip. It has never dropped below 18 even in the Winter.

I would not get the 2.7 if you are always going to have 3 passengers and their stuff plan to tow something, that would be too much, it would do it, but you would feel it. I put a hitch on mine, but I just use it for a bike carrier.

·
Registered
947 Posts
QUOTE (tonycincy85 @ Aug 4 2010, 10:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347068
my wife prefers the 2.7 over the 3.3, she thinks it's smoother. doesn't matter to me, she will be driving it 90% of the time. We have it narrowed down to 2. Both are 2007, one has AWD the other FWD. Are there any additional maintenance cost on the AWD? Unfortunately, both are at Chevy dealers so we can't get it certified. They both have 48K miles on them. Should we keep looking for a certified or not. This coming weekend, we will be driving one home.
The AWD doesn't incur much more maintenance. Just the transfer case and rear differential- which are both easy enough to service yourself. I did both easily on my 2008 2.7 AWD and have write-ups on this board in regards to it. Buying from a Chebby dealership should work to your advantage with price. They won't get as much for it as a Hyundai dealership would. I know that worked like a charm for me buying my Santa Fe from a Buick,Caddy,GMC dealer. I also mirror Brachiopod's comments on the 2.7L. Really, the only downfall (if you want it call it that) is you'll need to change a timing belt on the 2.7L around 75Kmi/60mo per the manual for normal service. 2.7's are valve crashers if the belt pops on the fly, as are most T-belt equipped engines. Good news is they aren't known to have issues breaking belts.

Joel

1 - 19 of 19 Posts