Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'v been on the fence with buying this 06 sonata I found.

Has 160k. Cosmetically good. Only thing I can see with a brief overview is it pulls slightly to the right, which also means the tire is slightly worn on its edge.
Also I noticed the alternator looked to be covered with oil or grease.

Its mint exterior and interior minus a few dents a tiny bit of rust on the front bumper.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
have u shopped around on craigslist?

its not too overpriced but i think u might be able to find one with slightly lower miles for the same $$$

·
Registered
467 Posts
The alternator is probably covered in oil because of a leaking (or formally leaking) valve cover gasket. That's a known issue on the V6 models. It leaks right on the alternator and can cause it to fail.

If you do some googling for problems on the forum you'll find the normal ones.

Just a few of the top of my head:
-Floppy sun visors
-Bad timing chain tensioners on V6 models. But I'm guessing this one was fixed under warranty or never had the problem in the first place.
-Air bag issues
-Fuel overflowing when you fill the car

·
Registered
44 Posts
This car seems to be a LX model which was the top of the line in 06. I had an 06 LX and really enjoyed driving that car. As previously mentioned, these cars have a few problems, but overall I think they are great cars. This one seems to be well maintained, but the mileage would indicate that it will need some attention. I don't think the price is bad, I would snag it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I'v been on the fence with buying this 06 sonata I found.

Has 160k. Cosmetically good. Only thing I can see with a brief overview is it pulls slightly to the right, which also means the tire is slightly worn on its edge.
Also I noticed the alternator looked to be covered with oil or grease.

Its mint exterior and interior minus a few dents a tiny bit of rust on the front bumper.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
The 3.3 is notorious for leaky valve cover gaskets that leak into the alternators. If you buy this one- a new alternator is in your future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts